Your not going to like this Ringel...

Okay, this guy is obviously a rabid free Linux fanatic. I'm not receiving any ads from anyone when I use Ubuntu and Ubuntu asks if you want to participate in this type of "research". So I'll take it with a block of salt........

Okay, this guy is obviously a rabid free Linux fanatic. I'm not receiving any ads from anyone when I use Ubuntu and Ubuntu asks if you want to participate in this type of "research". So I'll take it with a block of salt........

Haha...this is Richard Stallman. He is the first guy that wrote GNU, which was the base code where Linus Torvalds wrote the very first Linux system.
People like to argue who is the true "father" of Linux....really both IMO.
And yes, he is a major fanatic. Huge-huge free software guy. He is also the guy that penned the original, and still used "GNU Licensing". There is not a more purest fanatic out there than Stallman.
Having said that, he has been a HUGE influence on the computing world. He is also one of the early pioneers of the internet, writing the code for some of the first routers. Guys like Stallman is why Bill Gates couldn't "charge" for the internet. You see, IBM and Microsoft was collaborating on patenting access to the internet, basically they would put a browser on the computer and in order to use the internet - you would pay a monthly bill similar to your phone bill. So we would not only be paying an ISP, but Microsoft as well.
Apple didn't go along with it and wrote their own internet and intranet protocols, and this guy along with a few others on the Unix side - wrote the code for ARPANET and USENET.
Much of the internet is free because of this guy, and Apple refusing Gate's "toll bridge" pay as you go system.

Last edited:

Haha...this is Richard Stallman. He is the first guy that wrote GNU, which was the base code where Linus Torvalds wrote the very first Linux system.
And yes, he is a major fanatic. Huge-huge free software guy. He is also the guy that penned the original, and still used "GNU Licensing". There is not a more purest fanatic out there than Stallman.
Having said that, he has been a HUGE influence on the computing world. He is also one of the early pioneers of the internet, writing the code for some of the first routers. Guys like Stallman is why Bill Gates couldn't "charge" for the internet. You see, IBM and Microsoft was collaborating on patenting access to the internet, basically they would put a browser on the computer and in order to use the internet - you would pay a monthly bill similar to your phone bill. So we would not only be paying an ISP, but Microsoft as well.
Apple didn't go along with it and wrote their own internet and intranet protocols, and this guy along with a few others on the Unix side - wrote the code for ARPANET and USENET.
Much of the internet is free because of this guy, and Apple refusing Gate's "toll bridge" pay as you go system.

Ever since Ubuntu started becoming more user friendly by incorporating proprietary software the purists have been engaged in this mud slinging smear campaign. They have their distros, what's the problem with other distros being aimed at a wider audience? If it wasn't for Ubuntu I probably would never have used Linux, I may know a lot about computers and OSs but my lack of knowledge far exceeds what I do know. Without easy access to proprietary drivers I, like 10s of thousands like me wouldn't even be interested.
I appreciate what he's done in the past but that doesn't mean I'm gonna give him a free ride for what he's doing now or may do in the future.

Ever since Ubuntu started becoming more user friendly by incorporating proprietary software the purists have been engaged in this mud slinging smear campaign. They have their distros, what's the problem with other distros being aimed at a wider audience? If it wasn't for Ubuntu I probably would never have used Linux, I may know a lot about computers and OSs but my lack of knowledge far exceeds what I do know. Without easy access to proprietary drivers I, like 10s of thousands like me wouldn't even be interested.
I appreciate what he's done in the past but that doesn't mean I'm gonna give him a free ride for what he's doing now or may do in the future.

Oh I am not knocking anything, I was laughing when you said "he seems like a rabid..." that struck me funny knowing who this guy is. He is a through and through communist...in the real sense, not the Soviet Unions bastardized version - actual communism.
And I agree with Ubuntu, same with me, I stepped away from Linux as I got busier in my career and didn't have the time or desire to hack anymore. I just wanted something that works.
This thread was intended more of a tongue-in-cheek jibe at you for talking about stepping back from Mint and going back to Ubuntu. :razz:

Actually I'm still using Mint 12.04 on my laptop, just figured I'd give Ubuntu another shot, put it on my desktop. Still not really big on Unity but it's not clunky like it was when they first rolled it out, quite polished now, and Ubuntu still has the largest selection of software available. Like all distros it has it's strong points and it's weak points, somethings it does better than Mint on other things Mint is better at.

I decided to do some research. Basically, (to boil it down), it appears that most people are more upset with Ubuntu/Canonical's growing restriction on programers and their current Microsoft approach (slow response) to technical issues.
RMS basically is butt hurt because he hasn't been given the credit he feels he deserves for helping to create Linux. Just like a petulant little child he's lashing out at anyone he disagrees with and who won't let him have his way.

Pretty much looks like Ubuntu's trying to main stream itself and there are going to be some "growing pains".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back