PLEASE increase REP given per day.

» Online Users: 1,321
176 members and 1,145 guests

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 14 (2 members and 12 guests)

:eusa_think: What if guests could rep?

:eusa_eh: What if guests could neg?!?

Ha,ha, then we would see more rep abuse from the rep hogs. All you would have to do is not log in, but come in and view the threads and rep yourself........I bet I know who would be the one on here 24/7 repping herself! :lol::lol:

I didn't start this thread for people to throw pillows at each other and argue over why some people have more rep than others or any other BS like that. I knew there would be some against an increase in the amount of people we are allowed to rep each day, but I started it anyway, wanting to hear both sides. It seems, so far, there are more for it than against it. For those that have made this thread fun, Thank You!!! For those that want to start something negative, please take it elsewhere. This isn't the place for it, and this thread wasn't started for your own agenda.

Since I am new here, I first thank you for starting the thread. I am still trying to figure out why reps are used at all. But that appears to be the mode du jour here in this forum, and perhaps with time I will see greater benefit in it.

But I can clearly see how it can be abused - especially people who might want to gang-rep someone just to drive that person off the forum. But that then begs the question: who would want to do such a thing.

I can only say that from my now 10 day experience in USMB, I have come into contact with people from all sides of the political/ideological spectrum and most of them have been very decent and also kind to me. And I have received pos reps from Cons as well as Libs as well as people in between, and I have given out pos reps to people across the entire spectrum. That may not make me a team player in some peoples' eyes, but it does make me maybe a little more balanced. Or at least striving to be balanced.

Again, thanks for making the thread.

anyone who wants to troll...usually are the ones who cry "neg rep bullying" and opt out. They want to say what they want without any peer review.... That should tell you a lot about a persons character.

it is not abuse of the system if you play withing the rules of the system.... one neg to the same person in 48 hours..... abuse of the system will get you rep ability pulled. They give you one warning..... and then its yanked. So anyone crying abuse of the system, gang neg repping, rep bullying...are full of it.

to the bolded: ... and THAT is what the rep system is for.... to enjoy and have fun. Plenty of people here have been in the red...and as soon as they stopped being a troll.... the reps evened out. So what if you get negged? ..... you get just as many pos reps in the process.....

What Aye is saying ...is it would be nice to be able to rep as many times as you want and not run out. Even if we were given a day to rep every person on the site.... unlimited rep power.... you can still only neg rep the same person every 48 hours... so there would be no "abuse" of the system.

Yes, indeed, a troll did that to me a couple of days ago, neg repped me twice within 48 hours, probably thought I was unaware of the rule. So, I reported said troll and that red rep thingy suddenly disappeared and the math was recalculated. So, from this for me positive experience, I learned that the mods do their job well about this. Of course the system could be set to automatically ding someone for doing this, but I bet that would mean lots of extra code writing, probably not worth the intergalactic credits it would cost. :)

And what a pleasure it is to suddenly NOT get a weird and jarring mail that says "Go suck a black cock". Uhuh. Craaaaaaaaazy!!!!

I should rep every post on this thread......because I can :lol:

stand by

Darn.......I thought I was special........:eusa_whistle:

You are, you are!!

But you were special at the wrong time. Timing, my dear, timing!!!

When CK descends from the holey of holeys :), you gotta be there with those oh so active fingers!!!

(I will just let that one set in for a while)

As it is now, we are limited to giving 20 a day. Can it be bumped up by 10 (to 30), pretty please?

The whole thing seems pretty complicated to me. Can we just give positive reputation points for good quality posts, even if we disagree with the point of view.

I mean too, one poster really ripped into me for giving him a good rep and a compliment. I guess it is a cut throat system. I mean, I give positive reputation points to posters even if they give me negative reputation points. oh well, It is kind of funny. I think I will just keep on doing what I am doing.

Isn't it a bit coercive to penalize someone for a differing opinion?

Since I am new here, I first thank you for starting the thread. I am still trying to figure out why reps are used at all. But that appears to be the mode du jour here in this forum, and perhaps with time I will see greater benefit in it.

But I can clearly see how it can be abused - especially people who might want to gang-rep someone just to drive that person off the forum. But that then begs the question: who would want to do such a thing.

I can only say that from my now 10 day experience in USMB, I have come into contact with people from all sides of the political/ideological spectrum and most of them have been very decent and also kind to me. And I have received pos reps from Cons as well as Libs as well as people in between, and I have given out pos reps to people across the entire spectrum. That may not make me a team player in some peoples' eyes, but it does make me maybe a little more balanced. Or at least striving to be balanced.

Again, thanks for making the thread.

anyone who wants to troll...usually are the ones who cry "neg rep bullying" and opt out. They want to say what they want without any peer review.... That should tell you a lot about a persons character.

it is not abuse of the system if you play withing the rules of the system.... one neg to the same person in 48 hours..... abuse of the system will get you rep ability pulled. They give you one warning..... and then its yanked. So anyone crying abuse of the system, gang neg repping, rep bullying...are full of it.

to the bolded: ... and THAT is what the rep system is for.... to enjoy and have fun. Plenty of people here have been in the red...and as soon as they stopped being a troll.... the reps evened out. So what if you get negged? ..... you get just as many pos reps in the process.....

What Aye is saying ...is it would be nice to be able to rep as many times as you want and not run out. Even if we were given a day to rep every person on the site.... unlimited rep power.... you can still only neg rep the same person every 48 hours... so there would be no "abuse" of the system.

Yes, indeed, a troll did that to me a couple of days ago, neg repped me twice within 48 hours, probably thought I was unaware of the rule. So, I reported said troll and that red rep thingy suddenly disappeared and the math was recalculated. So, from this for me positive experience, I learned that the mods do their job well about this. Of course the system could be set to automatically ding someone for doing this, but I bet that would mean lots of extra code writing, probably not worth the intergalactic credits it would cost. :)

And what a pleasure it is to suddenly NOT get a weird and jarring mail that says "Go suck a black cock". Uhuh. Craaaaaaaaazy!!!!

lol.... negs like that crack me up. :lmao: I tell you, you cant buy laugh value like that anywhere.

Last edited:

lol.... negs like that crack me up. :lmao: I tell you, you cant buy laugh value like that anywhere.

Yeah, but why are these freaks always so consumed with gay oral sex? What's the deal with that?!?!? Weird...

Yeah, but why are these freaks always so consumed with gay oral sex? What's the deal with that?!?!? Weird...

I don't think its so much as they are obsessed....as much as it is said to get a rise out of people. Some people its easier to get a rise out of then others.

It all just makes me laugh. Who cares what they say in a neg anyway, its all just for laugh value.

bottom line though.... im am with Aye, we need more reps to give out!!!!!!

I'd like to see the reps eliminated, they aren't necessarily representative of a member's posting value, what with the circle jerk mass neg/poz cliques.

But then again individual posts that stand out should be credited - or discredited. I like that the "thanks" button adds the thanker's name at the bottom of the posts. It would be great if a "no thanks" option wre available as well.

Sorry, the majority of posters have mastered the rep system and enjoy it. The only people who seek the elimination are sour natured nutjobs whose extremism and abject unpleasantness means the only way THEY can gain rep is by cheating. When that is difficult or impossible, and they ultimately get their rep zero'd, they insist that everybody else should opt out of the rep system. Because if THEY fail it, then obviously there's something wrong with the system.

Trust me. There's nothing wrong with the system. If you're a newbie, and you're obsessing about rep, I don't think you are ever going to see good numbers. The people who have high rep..except for those who cheated to obtain it....don't post here because of the rep game. We come here to talk about stuff. Besides rep. And we do.

And it's that talking that rakes in the reps. If every one of your posts is a hysterical condemnation of the rep system, or if 9/10 of your posts are you telling high rep posters how you've already got them figured out, chances are, you aren't going to enjoy the rep system.

Just sayin. Priorities.

They don't so much want the rep themselves...as they want to make everybody they don't like lose theirs.

Still unclear how the rep system works. Thought it was a 1 for 1 method but judging by the rep comments section, I've seen mine go up 10 with just 1 remark, and 2 with another. Is the rep points a fraction of who gives it? Like the more rep they have, the more valuable their pos-rep becomes?

Still unclear how the rep system works. Thought it was a 1 for 1 method but judging by the rep comments section, I've seen mine go up 10 with just 1 remark, and 2 with another. Is the rep points a fraction of who gives it? Like the more rep they have, the more valuable their pos-rep becomes?

One point per 1000 that the repper has. So I just passed eight. That means at the very least, you will go up eight points. Aqua Athena and Sy are at 17k, I think?

It all adds up. If bunches of people with not much rep gave rep to each other regularly, they'd still get somewhere.

Forum List

Back