Pit bulls are safe around children!

I thought I read somewhere that small dogs were actually responsible for most dog bites. I could be wrong, but I thought I read that before. I'll have to check it out.

Of course, the larger dogs do more damage, but if you think about it, some small dogs can be quite vicious but no one takes them seriously. Lol. I've been bit by a few small dogs actually.

However, they could probably hurt a child or baby.

Pit Bull is not a breed. The bully dogs that are often classified as pitbulls are American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, Bull terriers, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bulldogs, and mixed breed dogs that are said to resemble these dog breeds. Because "pit bull" encompasses such a large number of dog breeds and mixed breed combinations, there are real problems with the classification of dogs in this study. Based upon the way that "pit bulls" are identified, more than 5 million dogs in the U.S. would fit this designation, representing 30-40% of all dogs in the U.S.

Further, the data is unreliable. Medically attended dog bites | Canine Research Council

From what I've seen, and just guessing, , I would have to say that the 5 million number sounds about right. Percentage of the total population is where they get it wrong.. imo

Ha...Ha!!! The pit bull GROWLED at the owner???? My pit wouldn't THINK of growling at me. And I have NEVER physically disciplined her. She's no shy dog at showing all comers who's boss when in protection mode either. The pit GROWLED at the owner??? Somebody doesn't have a clue how to raise and handle a Pit Bull.

AND it's not what you do AFTER your dog growls at you either. It's what the hell you did that let that dog believe it was even possible in this universe that it was conceivable that it should growl at it's owner.

Buddy..you have SERIOUS problems with your mutt. THAT dog WILL bite you or somebody you don't want it to and you won't have any say in the situation. You are raising and handling a very dangerous animal.

The dog tried to kill me you asshole. And the dog was immediately put down.

I have had dogs for 60 years. My dad raised them when I was a child and I raised them when I moved out and got married. All of our dogs were extremely well behaved and obedient. NONE of our dogs ever showed any aggression towards any human beings.

My dad always said when you think you know what you're doing, THAT is when you better be aware. You may THINK you are a macho man and have complete control of your pit bull. But that's because you are a ignorant fuck.

Yes, the pit bull IS a dangerous animal. It should be banned. It is not a "pet", it is a felon with a tail.

But macho turds and criminals like you NEED a dangerous dog to fill your insecurity.

Go fuck yourself...

I have had dogs for 60 years. My dad raised them when I was a child and I raised them when I moved out and got married. All of our dogs were extremely well behaved and obedient. NONE of our dogs ever showed any aggression towards any human beings.

My dad always said when you think you know what you're doing, THAT is when you better be aware. You may THINK you are a macho man and have complete control of your pit bull. But that's because you are a ignorant fuck.

Yes, the pit bull IS a dangerous animal. It should be banned. It is not a "pet", it is a felon with a tail.

But macho turds and criminals like you NEED a dangerous dog to fill your insecurity.

Go fuck yourself...
No, most people do fine with them. Effeminates and dopers should avoid them, that's the problem.

Go fuck yourself...
No, most people do fine with them. Effeminates and dopers should avoid them, that's the problem.

Just what I expected from a turd like you. I am neither. Such utter ignorance.

Go fuck yourself...
You dismissed the dominant leader of the pack mentality I mentioned earlier. So you are a limp wristed lib, you should not own a powerful breed, it's as simple as that.

Go fuck yourself...
You dismissed the dominant leader of the pack mentality I mentioned earlier. So you are a limp wristed lib, you should not own a powerful breed, it's as simple as that.

They are animals, not humans. You may THINK you are a "dominant leader of the pack", but YOU don't get to decide. Buddy always listened to me and never showed the aggression that was unleashed THAT DAY. I never hit a dog or use physical methods on a dog.

I thought I read somewhere that small dogs were actually responsible for most dog bites. I could be wrong, but I thought I read that before. I'll have to check it out.

Of course, the larger dogs do more damage, but if you think about it, some small dogs can be quite vicious but no one takes them seriously. Lol. I've been bit by a few small dogs actually.

However, they could probably hurt a child or baby.

Children and especially babies are vulnerable to any dog. I baby could be seriously hurt by a dog that had no viscous intent.

When dogs "play" with each other, they bit each other on the snoot but they stop applying pressure when they feel bone or cartilage. A dog's snoot has little or no flesh. A babies face has a lot of flesh before a dog would hit bone or cartilage. By that time the child is maimed.

Ha...Ha!!! The pit bull GROWLED at the owner???? My pit wouldn't THINK of growling at me. And I have NEVER physically disciplined her. She's no shy dog at showing all comers who's boss when in protection mode either. The pit GROWLED at the owner??? Somebody doesn't have a clue how to raise and handle a Pit Bull.

AND it's not what you do AFTER your dog growls at you either. It's what the hell you did that let that dog believe it was even possible in this universe that it was conceivable that it should growl at it's owner.

Buddy..you have SERIOUS problems with your mutt. THAT dog WILL bite you or somebody you don't want it to and you won't have any say in the situation. You are raising and handling a very dangerous animal.

Go fuck yourself...

I need my Pitts because I am a guard on a property in one of the most dangerous areas in Seattle. I sleep with my door wide open. I can because my dogs alert me to intruders well ahead of the danger so I can get up and dressed to confront the intruders. This happens on an average of half a dozen times a night(12AM-6AM). I've been doing this for nearly 6 years. The advantage for me is that I get to use the whole first floor to work on my projects as I invent things and do repairs professionally. The two large buildings of the closed motel surround one of the most popular restaurants in North Seattle. Part of my responsibility is to keep the whole area safe for the largely elderly clientele that frequent the dining establishment from the thugs, gang bangers, drug dealers and users, prostitutes and homeless. My dogs do a phenomenal job sorting out who to alert me to and who are legitimate patrons. I really couldn't do my job without the assistance of my Pits.

The property I protect is surrounded partly by chain link fences. I'm up on the third floor with a good view of the areas that need the most observance.

My situation is not the typical family environment. But I know Pit Bulls. They know me. I agree that they make a very dangerous all purpose pet. Some of them have zero tolerance for other dogs, that is other dogs they do not believe are part of their immediate pack. Some of them have incredible tolerance for other dogs...even yappy mutts that are attempting to start a fight. Still when pushed or not they can do horrible damage in just a few seconds when that switch inside them says..."fight or flight" and I have never seen one choose the latter.

It is YOU that is the dumb fuck in that YOU put yourself in the position to get attacked. You say YOUR dog attacked you? YOU have/had no business owning a Pit Bull.

Go fuck yourself...

I need my Pitts because I am a guard on a property in one of the most dangerous areas in Seattle. I sleep with my door wide open. I can because my dogs alert me to intruders well ahead of the danger so I can get up and dressed to confront the intruders. This happens on an average of half a dozen times a night(12AM-6AM). I've been doing this for nearly 6 years. The advantage for me is that I get to use the whole first floor to work on my projects as I invent things and do repairs professionally. The two large buildings of the closed motel surround one of the most popular restaurants in North Seattle. Part of my responsibility is to keep the whole area safe for the largely elderly clientele that frequent the dining establishment from the thugs, gang bangers, drug dealers and users, prostitutes and homeless. My dogs do a phenomenal job sorting out who to alert me to and who are legitimate patrons. I really couldn't do my job without the assistance of my Pits.

The property I protect is surrounded partly by chain link fences. I'm up on the third floor with a good view of the areas that need the most observance.

My situation is not the typical family environment. But I know Pit Bulls. They know me. I agree that they make a very dangerous all purpose pet. Some of them have zero tolerance for other dogs, that is other dogs they do not believe are part of their immediate pack. Some of them have incredible tolerance for other dogs...even yappy mutts that are attempting to start a fight. Still when pushed or not they can do horrible damage in just a few seconds when that switch inside them says..."fight or flight" and I have never seen one choose the latter.

It is YOU that is the dumb fuck in that YOU put yourself in the position to get attacked. You say YOUR dog attacked you? YOU have/had no business owning a Pit Bull.

Thank you for proving my case. The pit bull is not a family dog, it is not a "pet"...it is a lethal weapon that should be banned as a family dog.

Huggy, I really don't need to hear you rehash your life as loser. I heard it before...ad nauseam

Some people use their brain, some people are grunts...you are the latter...

I am not a "dumb fuck, you asshole. How did I make it through 60 years of living with dogs my whole life without any incident...

Simple answer...it was the dog...the breed. Buddy was treated well. Never abused. He was loved...HE is the one who "snapped" without any provocation or warning.

I will never know what caused HIM to snap...but I KNOW it was not how he was raised, treated or handled...

'it's not the dog, it's the owner'.

There's one way to test that theory. Take any serious pit bull mauling and substitute other breeds. Take 85 yr old Rosie Humphreys for example. Rosie and her small poodle were killed by BRIAN PENNINGTON'S loose purebred american pit bull terrier during a routine daily walk. Now try substituting golden retriever in that sentence. How about dachshund? collie? Absurd, isn't it? If breed is truly irrelevant and the problem is truly irresponsible owners, then ANY breed of dog owned by BRIAN PENNINGTON would have yielded the same deadly result.

gzELrVC.png

UPDATE 12/04/09: Police Chief John Nicholson states that the attacking dog was indeed a pit bull, an unaltered 3-year old male, with full registration. "The dog did not appear malnourished or abused and had no visible signs of mistreatment," he states. The dog did not slip its collar or break its chain either. According to Nicholson, the dog had gotten loose because the metal "D" ring on its collar failed. No criminal charges are expected to be filed.
Statement from Chief John Nicholson:
rosie-humphries-fatal-pit-bull-attack.jpg
space.gif
"The incident that occurred on November 30th at 235 Austin Avenue in Flora has devastated several families.
space.gif
This was a very tragic event for not only the families involved, but the neighborhood a well.
space.gif
Rosie L. Humphreys, 85, of 235 Austin Avenue Flora, Illinois was not only a citizen of Flora, but was so much more to so many.
space.gif
After speaking to several neighbors and friends in this neighborhood, it became apparent that Rosie was everybody’s Grandmother within that area.
space.gif
This is exactly why this case is so tragic, as Ms. Humphrey could have been anybody’s grandmother at any town USA.
space.gif
Before I go into a timeline of the events of November 30th, I would like to clarify some mis-information, clear some dis-information and stop some on going rumors.
space.gif
The particular breed of the dog involved in the attack was an American Pit Bull Terrier.
space.gif
He was an un-neutered 3 year old male, with full registration.
space.gif
The dog was purchased from a registered breeder at 6 months of age by Brian Pennington of Flora.
space.gif
There is no available information that it had ever been trained by its owner, Brian Pennington to attack or fight in any manner.
space.gif
The dog was Pennington’s family pet.
space.gif
The Flora Police Department or the Clay County Health Department Animal Control office have never received a single call as to this particular dog or the owners address at any time.
space.gif
There has been no documented or reported cases, where this dog has displayed any aggression towards people or other dogs.
space.gif
The dog did not appear malnourished or abused and had no visible signs of mistreatment.

space.gif
The dog did not slip its collar, break the chain or dig its way out of the kennel..."

space.gif
"...All available evidence indicates that the factory installed metal "D" ring on the leather collar broke, which released the dog.
space.gif
The metal "D" ring was of normal size for this collar type.
space.gif
The metal appeared normal in wear and condition.
space.gif
On December 1, 2009 a forensic autopsy was conducted by Dr. John Heidingsfelder at the Clay County Hospital.
space.gif
The preliminary results showed the cause of death was due to Exsanguination, due to transected Carotid Artery, due to bite mark lacerations to the face, neck and extremities.
space.gif
The manner of death was ruled accident.
space.gif
After careful review of the applicable criminal statutes that could apply to this case and all physical evidence, witness statements, and background investigations, it was determined by the Clay County State’s Attorney’s Office that there will be no criminal charges filed at this time against Mr. Pennington."

The lion tamer complex
A behavioral trait not addressed in the Tufts study has been dubbed the "Lion Tamer Complex." Many pit bull owners believe they are superior dog owners and through this superiority can control their "game bred" pit bull by teaching discipline and love. While not all pit bulls are inherently vicious, their genetic history cannot be "loved" out of them either. As demonstrated by numerous press reports of pit bulls attacking their owners, this complex has serious and deadly ramifications.

A 2010 example of the Lion Tamer Complex involves four pit bulls that were declared "vicious" in a Placer County, California court -- effectively ordering the destruction of the dogs -- after seriously injuring teenager JoJo Kerschner. The pit bull owner, Daniel Coverston, appealed the ruling and requested that pit bull expert Tia Torres examine the dogs to determine which, if any, could be rehabilitated. During the examination by Torres, one of the pit bulls attacked and bit her.

"Torres said she then tried to loop Maui with her leash but 'he jumped up and bit my right hand.'

Torres said the dog then became frantic and it looked like he was going to bite another person. He continued to snap at Torres as they put him back in the kennel.

The other two dogs, Sherman and Ronin, 'had become extremely aggressive acting, hitting the kennel gates and barking hysterically,' Torres said."18

The second and final judge ordered three of the pit bulls destroyed, but that based on Torres' assessment, one was salvageable enough to be placed at her rescue on a trial basis.19 What's important to point out is that the so-called salvageable pit bull was legally declared "vicious" after attacking Kerschner. As opposed to the claim that human-aggressive pit bulls were "culled," Lion Tamers such at Torres target human-aggressive pit bulls to prove they can be "tamed."20

What is further disturbing is that pit bull rescue groups now covet dogs like Coverston's as they have found them to be effective promotional tools. For instance, James Harrison's pit bull, Patrone, who was "cured" of aggression in 20 days and Snaps from Seattle, who was transferred to a lifetime "sanctuary."21 Attempts to save vicious pit bulls in Louisiana and New Jersey22 resulted in animal control workers being attacked while its owner fought destruction orders.

Related articles:

Criminals choose pit bulls

In 2006, the Journal of Interpersonal Violence published a study that focused on Ohio dog owners.23 The results showed that criminals are more likely to own vicious dogs. For the purposes of the study, researchers used agreed definitions of "vicious dogs" found within local ordinances. All ordinances included pit bulls because during this period Ohio state law automatically declared all pit bulls "vicious." The report is best summarized by one of its authors, Jaclyn Barnes:

"Owners of vicious dogs who have been cited for failing to register a dog (or) failing to keep a dog confined on the premises ... are more than nine times more likely to have been convicted for a crime involving children, three times more likely to have been convicted of domestic violence ... and nearly eight times more likely to be charged with drug (crimes) than owners of low-risk licensed dogs."24

There is no denying that dangerous people are attracted to dangerous dogs. These same people also have a higher likelihood of being irresponsible owners. Pit bulls are the dog of choice for criminals and are often used in drug and gang-related activities. Police officers are frequently forced to shoot dangerous pit bulls25 when serving search warrants as well. The combination of criminals and pit bulls exponentially increases the danger these dogs pose to communities.

Go fuck yourself...

Thank you for proving my case. The pit bull is not a family dog, it is not a "pet"...it is a lethal weapon that should be banned as a family dog.

Huggy, I really don't need to hear you rehash your life as loser. I heard it before...ad nauseam

I am not a "dumb fuck, you asshole. How did I make it through 60 years of living with dogs my whole life without any incident...

Simple answer...it was the dog...the breed. Buddy was treated well. Never abused. He was loved...HE is the one who "snapped" without any provocation or warning.

I will never know what caused HIM to snap...but I KNOW it was not how he was raised, treated or handled...

Thank you for noting that "I am a loser"...."a grunt". My life has happened over many levels of status. I rarely find it helpful to demean others for where they happen to be in their own journey. We apparently differ in that way. I thought we were talking about Pit Bulls in this discussion.

As far as who is or is not deserving of respect I'll leave YOUR status up to "Buddy".

I do like dogs more than many people. Dogs have a natural sense of who can be trusted. They are not fake. People are fake. Sometimes it is their strongest characteristic. Some people like to blame everything but their own actions and thoughts for bad things that happen within their area of responsibility.

I am sorry for Buddy. Something made him turn on you. It was not nothing. He saw something in you that caused him to attack. It is sad that he had to make that choice for whatever reason. But you claiming that you don't know what it was is a lie. You know. Buddy knew and had to pay for it with his life. I guess that makes Buddy the loser.

Go fuck yourself...

Thank you for noting that "I am a loser"...."a grunt". My life has happened over many levels of status. I rarely find it helpful to demean others for where they happen to be in their own journey. We apparently differ in that way. I thought we were talking about Pit Bulls in this discussion.

As far as who is or is not deserving of respect I'll leave YOUR status up to "Buddy".

I do like dogs more than many people. Dogs have a natural sense of who can be trusted. They are not fake. People are fake. Sometimes it is their strongest characteristic. Some people like to blame everything but their own actions and thoughts for bad things that happen within their area of responsibility.

I am sorry for Buddy. Something made him turn on you. It was not nothing. He saw something in you that caused him to attack. It is sad that he had to make that choice for whatever reason. But you claiming that you don't know what it was is a lie. You know. Buddy knew and had to pay for it with his life. I guess that makes Buddy the loser.

If you don't like to be demeaned, don't demean...You are the one who started the insults, and didn't talk about pit bulls. You wanted to talk about me.

It was not something Buddy saw in me, you psychopath... it is something inherent in the breed.

Go fuck yourself...

If you don't like to be demeaned, don't demean...You are the one who started the insults, and didn't talk about pit bulls. You wanted to talk about me.

It was not something Buddy saw in me, you psychopath... it is something inherent in the breed.

Really. What makes me a psychopath? Something inherent in the breed?

Really? Who else did Buddy attack in his life? I agree that aggression can be inherent. But a dog that has never shown aggression in several years has no inherent aggression. SOMETHING provoked the attack. You just don't want to tell the truth and share what really happened. I've got a large female Pit that has aggressive characteristics. I joke that she probably bit her mother on the way out of the womb. THAT is inherent aggression. NOT some out of the blue instance. I'm not going to waste any more time telling you about the dogs. You already know what I am talking about.

After all I am the "loser" and Buddy is dead.

Go fuck yourself...

Was he old?

'it's not the dog, it's the owner'.

There's one way to test that theory. Take any serious pit bull mauling and substitute other breeds. Take 85 yr old Rosie Humphreys for example. Rosie and her small poodle were killed by BRIAN PENNINGTON'S loose purebred american pit bull terrier during a routine daily walk. Now try substituting golden retriever in that sentence. How about dachshund? collie? Absurd, isn't it? If breed is truly irrelevant and the problem is truly irresponsible owners, then ANY breed of dog owned by BRIAN PENNINGTON would have yielded the same deadly result.

gzELrVC.png

UPDATE 12/04/09: Police Chief John Nicholson states that the attacking dog was indeed a pit bull, an unaltered 3-year old male, with full registration. "The dog did not appear malnourished or abused and had no visible signs of mistreatment," he states. The dog did not slip its collar or break its chain either. According to Nicholson, the dog had gotten loose because the metal "D" ring on its collar failed. No criminal charges are expected to be filed.
Statement from Chief John Nicholson:
rosie-humphries-fatal-pit-bull-attack.jpg
space.gif
"The incident that occurred on November 30th at 235 Austin Avenue in Flora has devastated several families.
space.gif
This was a very tragic event for not only the families involved, but the neighborhood a well.
space.gif
Rosie L. Humphreys, 85, of 235 Austin Avenue Flora, Illinois was not only a citizen of Flora, but was so much more to so many.
space.gif
After speaking to several neighbors and friends in this neighborhood, it became apparent that Rosie was everybody’s Grandmother within that area.
space.gif
This is exactly why this case is so tragic, as Ms. Humphrey could have been anybody’s grandmother at any town USA.
space.gif
Before I go into a timeline of the events of November 30th, I would like to clarify some mis-information, clear some dis-information and stop some on going rumors.
space.gif
The particular breed of the dog involved in the attack was an American Pit Bull Terrier.
space.gif
He was an un-neutered 3 year old male, with full registration.
space.gif
The dog was purchased from a registered breeder at 6 months of age by Brian Pennington of Flora.
space.gif
There is no available information that it had ever been trained by its owner, Brian Pennington to attack or fight in any manner.
space.gif
The dog was Pennington’s family pet.
space.gif
The Flora Police Department or the Clay County Health Department Animal Control office have never received a single call as to this particular dog or the owners address at any time.
space.gif
There has been no documented or reported cases, where this dog has displayed any aggression towards people or other dogs.
space.gif
The dog did not appear malnourished or abused and had no visible signs of mistreatment.

space.gif
The dog did not slip its collar, break the chain or dig its way out of the kennel..."

space.gif
"...All available evidence indicates that the factory installed metal "D" ring on the leather collar broke, which released the dog.
space.gif
The metal "D" ring was of normal size for this collar type.
space.gif
The metal appeared normal in wear and condition.
space.gif
On December 1, 2009 a forensic autopsy was conducted by Dr. John Heidingsfelder at the Clay County Hospital.
space.gif
The preliminary results showed the cause of death was due to Exsanguination, due to transected Carotid Artery, due to bite mark lacerations to the face, neck and extremities.
space.gif
The manner of death was ruled accident.
space.gif
After careful review of the applicable criminal statutes that could apply to this case and all physical evidence, witness statements, and background investigations, it was determined by the Clay County State’s Attorney’s Office that there will be no criminal charges filed at this time against Mr. Pennington."

You don't have to blatantly abuse an animal to teach it how to be an attack dog.

Are you saying that this particular breed of dog has a mental defect?

Go fuck yourself...

They are animals, not humans. You may THINK you are a "dominant leader of the pack", but YOU don't get to decide. Buddy always listened to me and never showed the aggression that was unleashed THAT DAY. I never hit a dog or use physical methods on a dog.
Like I said, that proves why you had the problem. Good that you recognize they are animals, and as such can't reason with humans so like all humans with any sense they become the animal's master.

Your pussified world view prevents that because you think it's barbaric, yet small women can control large animals. Buddy didn't listen to you, he was wondering when you were going to take charge. Eventually, he figured out you were nothing but a happy meal.

Children and especially babies are vulnerable to any dog. I baby could be seriously hurt by a dog that had no viscous intent.

When dogs "play" with each other, they bit each other on the snoot but they stop applying pressure when they feel bone or cartilage. A dog's snoot has little or no flesh. A babies face has a lot of flesh before a dog would hit bone or cartilage. By that time the child is maimed.
Every time you fire up your keyboard the world is exposed to even more idiocy. My dogs love children and would lick the skin off them if they could. No, dogs don't bite into babies faces in a playful way until they hit bone and know they've gone too far. You truly are a moron and have zero business owning a dog.

Forum List

Back