Pit bulls are safe around children!

I'm attacked by dogs ROUTINELY. Matter of fact, I just put 20 miles on my new bicycle, and was chased by one dog (but he couldn't catch me), and charged by another.

there are all kinds of dangers bicycling around here. But domesticated dog attacks are more dangerous than all the others combined.
That would indicate to me that bicycling there was hazardous to my health. Sorry it doesn't speak to you but some people have to learn the hard way.

"That would indicate to me that bicycling there was hazardous to my health. Sorry it doesn't speak to you but some people have to learn the hard way." Iw
My life is at risk either way.
I want the cardiovascular benefits of bicycling 60 miles a week.
I'd rather skin my knee than die of a heart attack.

I'm pretty good on two wheels. I've been bicycling for over half a century.
I've got a nice Schwinn, a brand new Trek, and a Yamaha for when I don't feel like pedaling much.

Fact is I'm good enough so I can joust and win most of the time. I carry a water bottle, and when the attacking dog gets within range I hose it in the eyes and up the nose.
That both temporarily blinds them, and seems to disorient them a little. And it's usually enough for me to make a get-away.

"That would indicate to me that bicycling there was hazardous to my health. Sorry it doesn't speak to you but some people have to learn the hard way." Iw
My life is at risk either way.
I want the cardiovascular benefits of bicycling 60 miles a week.
I'd rather skin my knee than die of a heart attack.

I'm pretty good on two wheels. I've been bicycling for over half a century.
I've got a nice Schwinn, a brand new Trek, and a Yamaha for when I don't feel like pedaling much.

Fact is I'm good enough so I can joust and win most of the time. I carry a water bottle, and when the attacking dog gets within range I hose it in the eyes and up the nose.
That both temporarily blinds them, and seems to disorient them a little. And it's usually enough for me to make a get-away.
I'd get some bear spray at the very least. They'll go away and probably not bother you again.

"I'd get some bear spray at the very least. They'll go away and probably not bother you again." kg

Thanks kg.
Problem is, I cruise at about 15 mph. And sometimes there are winds that fast or faster.
Liquid can be aimed more precisely, and has better range, with tighter pattern, than any spray I've found.
And these bottles are designed to deliver a nice tight stream. I think I can get a 6' - 8' range with it.
They're designed to be carried on a bicycle, so that makes it easy and convenient.
There's lots of "ammo" in a full water bottle, and it's practically free.

But despite Skinner's teachings on "operant conditioning", many of these dogs don't learn *.
Beagles in particular have the IQ of a blacksmith's anvil.

One beagle in particular used to attack me each time I'd pass.
I kicked that dog in the ribs, in the spine, in the head, and even stomped its head into the pavement so hard I heard its jowls slap the pavement.
And it just kept coming back for more.
I exchanged words with the owner, and explained that if any personal injury resulted from his criminal negligence, I'd hire the worst ambulance-chasing lawyer on the planet; with these instructions:
Mr. attorney, the criminal negligence of this home owner threatens the entire community, any passer-by. If he can't own a home responsibly then let's take his home away from him. Sue him for every penny he's got.
There's no dog there anymore.

* I've been doing this about 8 years. In those 8 years, and thousands of local miles, only two dogs that I can think of have learned.
They attacked.
They got it in the face.
And when they attacked again weeks later, when they saw me aiming the water bottle at them, they turned and ran.

Though my son recently discovered the bear spray that I have in the hilt of a cheap knife I picked up as hiking gear....it shoots a stream. Can be a bit wheezy for you if the wind is blowing or you get it on your fingers...which you will.

Thanks kg.
Problem is, these attacks are so frequent (it's 60 miles a week!! in an environment so rural they can break the law with impunity for months, or perhaps years) I'd need to buy that by the case. That's expensive.

I was talking with our excellent Dog Control Officer, and I told him about how I kicked them in the head until I learned the water bottle trick. He said, just make sure it's water.
GOOD IDEA!!
Why didn't I think of that!
Ever got soap in your eye?
So I considered putting soapy water in there. But I haven't needed to, yet.

What kind of country have we become where people defend proven killers?

There is zero doubt pit bulls are a dangerous breed...ZERO.

There are enough dangers in our society. Going for a stroll, walking to church or riding your bicycle and being viciously attacked by a dog shouldn't be one of them.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's...in our suburban community there wasn't even a leash law. Never seen or heard of anyone being attacked by a dog.

How may fellow citizens need to be killed or maimed to take responsible action?

Bg 1030

That's fine.
Problem is, it's a bell-curve.
The kindest pit-bull is safer than the most ferocious collie (which can be ferocious indeed).

What legal standard would be applied to outlawing a pet breed?

hello? you guys are missing a major point- pitbulls are bred to fight- period- to the death; it is the breed. Violence to the death is ingrained in them. Inter-breeding is also an issue- animal expert here.

Your own link says Pits attack without warning. Your dog gave you a warning. Not too classic was it?

Stick the snarky stuff up your ignorant cretin ass...

Buddy was not "provoked"...when I walked away from him he was sitting (by my command)...
Did I say you provoked him? Your deflections could use some work. Obviously you arent good at them.

Your dog growled at you. You should have addressed that immediately instead of bending down to pick up the leash and putting yourself at essentially his level. The fact that the dog growled at you in the first place means you didnt notice the many warning signs that appeared long before this incident.

holy crap, I agree with this.

Your own link says Pits attack without warning. Your dog gave you a warning. Not too classic was it?

Stick the snarky stuff up your ignorant cretin ass...

Buddy was not "provoked"...when I walked away from him he was sitting (by my command)...
Did I say you provoked him? Your deflections could use some work. Obviously you arent good at them.

Your dog growled at you. You should have addressed that immediately instead of bending down to pick up the leash and putting yourself at essentially his level. The fact that the dog growled at you in the first place means you didnt notice the many warning signs that appeared long before this incident.

holy crap, I agree with this.

Ha...Ha!!! The pit bull GROWLED at the owner???? My pit wouldn't THINK of growling at me. And I have NEVER physically disciplined her. She's no shy dog at showing all comers who's boss when in protection mode either. The pit GROWLED at the owner??? Somebody doesn't have a clue how to raise and handle a Pit Bull.

AND it's not what you do AFTER your dog growls at you either. It's what the hell you did that let that dog believe it was even possible in this universe that it was conceivable that it should growl at it's owner.

Buddy..you have SERIOUS problems with your mutt. THAT dog WILL bite you or somebody you don't want it to and you won't have any say in the situation. You are raising and handling a very dangerous animal.

Thanks kg.
Problem is, these attacks are so frequent (it's 60 miles a week!! in an environment so rural they can break the law with impunity for months, or perhaps years) I'd need to buy that by the case. That's expensive.

I was talking with our excellent Dog Control Officer, and I told him about how I kicked them in the head until I learned the water bottle trick. He said, just make sure it's water.
GOOD IDEA!!
Why didn't I think of that!
Ever got soap in your eye?
So I considered putting soapy water in there. But I haven't needed to, yet.
Diluted vinegar water is the standard solution to that. Doesn't hurt the dogs but gets their attention quickly, and it's cheap.

Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982. Pit bulls are the young black males of society.
Nice racist twist there. But all this anti-Pit talk refuses to acknowledge the breed is very often chosen by the wrong people for the wrong reasons. There are many more examples of them being great dogs so the dog isn't the problem, people are.

"Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they’re responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982." n0 #1033
Thanks for the info n0.
Do you have a link (URL) to that, or other dangerous dog related material?
"Diluted vinegar water is the standard solution to that. Doesn't hurt the dogs but gets their attention quickly, and it's cheap. " Iw #1036
Thanks Iw. And perhaps in a pinch, I could still drink it.

Forum List

Back