Physician assisted suicide

But what if the terminally person ask to die because they're terminally ill?

I assume you've never worked in a hospital before. There are many dying patients. Some want to die because they know they're dying anyway. Others want to die because of excessive and severe pain.

But nobody here wants to discuss the criteria of death.

Hmmm...

Terminal illness
Chronic pain
Debilitating illness

The patient should be able to petition the hospital for physican assistance and then a panel of doctors should review the case to insure that the patient is of sound mind, understands what they are asking for and is under no coercion.

We all have a terminal illness. It's called living.

And you have the right to kill yourself any time you want.

I dont want to sound rude but just because you guys share your own personal experiences with your loved ones who suffered, does mean you come up with a logical reason for euthanasia. Pain should not be the sole criteria for euthanasia nor should the patient asking for it. Euthanasia is a slippery slope. You allow euthanasia might as well allow it for people with clinical depression.

Euthanasia is not the same as physican assisted suicide. I would say, it would have to be written in a will by the person, death would have to be certain and verified by a panel of independent doctors and signed off on by at least 2 members of the family, the patients physican and the independent panel. And if any objection is raised by any family member, then it's an automatic no.

What are you talking about that is what it is!

I dont want to sound rude but just because you guys share your own personal experiences with your loved ones who suffered, does mean you come up with a logical reason for euthanasia. Pain should not be the sole criteria for euthanasia nor should the patient asking for it. Euthanasia is a slippery slope. You allow euthanasia might as well allow it for people with clinical depression.

Euthanasia is not the same as physican assisted suicide. I would say, it would have to be written in a will by the person, death would have to be certain and verified by a panel of independent doctors and signed off on by at least 2 members of the family, the patients physican and the independent panel. And if any objection is raised by any family member, then it's an automatic no.

:confused:

These cases need to be handled on a case by case basis

My father was deprived of oxygen and ended up brain dead and in a coma. His wishes had always been to not let him linger like that. He was very specific

We were required to let him stay in that state for 48 hours and finally remove his respirator. Even then it took two hours of him gasping before he finally passed.

The humane thing would be a lethal injection to allow him to quickly pass rather than force him to linger for days

If he was brain dead, he really didn't know he was gasping, did he?

Point?

Giving him a lethal injection is a waste of money. He wasn't suffering and it was dishonest of you to portray this as ending suffering.

Do you feel terminally ill patients should have the right to ask doctors to help them die? Do we as a nation spend too much time trying to keep people alive that we have abandoned the notion of allowing people to have a dignified death?

Absolutely

You are now "allowed" to die by removing feeding tubes or a respirator and you can suffer for your last hours or days till you finally die. Barbaric

It shouldn't be done on a whim and there needs to be a formal process to end someones life but the patient should have the choice to say ...enough

But what if the terminally person ask to die because they're terminally ill?

I assume you've never worked in a hospital before. There are many dying patients. Some want to die because they know they're dying anyway. Others want to die because of excessive and severe pain.

But nobody here wants to discuss the criteria of death.

If they have a terminal illness, they will die.

I was talking about euthanasia. It is physician assisted suicide.

Last edited:

Giving him a lethal injection is a waste of money. He wasn't suffering and it was dishonest of you to portray this as ending suffering.

It goes beyond money and towards quality of life and one simple question.....

What is life?

The minute we start making that judgment we have lost our humanity.

I would say that Stephen Hawking has a terrible quality of life. No one should be forced to live like that. What does Stephen Hawking say about it? Christopher Reeve had an abysmal quality of life too. How many celebrities have a quality of life anyone would want and commit suicide? Making judgements is something we should studiously avoid.

It goes beyond money and towards quality of life and one simple question.....

What is life?

The minute we start making that judgment we have lost our humanity.

I would say that Stephen Hawking has a terrible quality of life. No one should be forced to live like that. What does Stephen Hawking say about it? Christopher Reeve had an abysmal quality of life too. How many celebrities have a quality of life anyone would want and commit suicide? Making judgements is something we should studiously avoid.

What DID they say about it?

As it is, we ignore the wishes of the patient in order to placate those who are unwilling to acknowledge the needs and wishes of those afflicted

I was talking about euthanasia. It is physician assisted suicide.

No, not the same.

Physical assisted sucide is where someone has actively asked for help. The physican supplies the means for the patient to die, giving the person the drugs but allowing them to push the button or take the pills etc. The doctor is the supplier but is not an active participant in the death.

In euthanasia the person is unable to ask for help and the decision is on the doctors and family, and the person who administers the drugs is the doctor not the person who is dying/ill.

Yeah, that's what all the death advocates say.

There are "degrees" of murder....er, killing. There are important tiny differences in the "why" and "wherefores" which is the only way they can distinguish it from murder.

Yeah, that's what all the death advocates say.

There are "degrees" of murder....er, killing. There are important tiny differences in the "why" and "wherefores" which is the only way they can distinguish it from murder.

Murder- the unlawful killing of one human by another

Suicide - the action of killing oneself intentionally

See the difference?

Yes, it's infintesimal, as I said. Pretty much just a language thing..

Which is what the death cult is all about. Change the language to accomodate depravity and murder.

No, the difference between murder and ASSISTED suicide is a language thing.

It's the "assist" part, you see, that makes the difference. Essentially, lefties campaign to make murder into something else. In this case, they are pretending that murder isn't murder if you're "assisting" someone to kill themself..but they aren't able to (for whatever reason).

Technically, suicide is a crime as well....

It's the "assist" part, you see, that makes the difference. Essentially, lefties campaign to make murder into something else. In this case, they are pretending that murder isn't murder if you're "assisting" someone to kill themself..but they aren't able to (for whatever reason).

Suicide is not a crime, hasn't been for several years now.

Assisted suicide is giving someone the means to kill themselves, you think that's the same as murder, I disagree.

If there's a crime, it would have to be attempted suicide, since once you've committed suicide, it's too late to bother charging you with anything. :D

Assisted suicide, at least as I understand the way people have attempted to have it legalized, is about providing drugs with which a person can kill themselves. Calling it murder seems to ignore any personal responsibility on the part of the person killing themselves. It would be more of an accessory to attempted suicide, I think. I understand you are opposed to the practice, and can even understand the arguments as to why it is a bad idea to legalize, but going overboard and saying it's murder (or invoking the Nazis, because that never gets old....) doesn't strengthen your argument. It does the opposite.

So says every spouse who says "I killed her(him) because she wanted to die.

"He told me to"
"He was in pain"
"He was depressed"
"He felt he was a burden"
"He felt it was time to leave his $$ to me"

And so on.

Gotta love excuses for murder.

Forum List

Back