Physician assisted suicide

No, the difference between murder and ASSISTED suicide is a language thing.

It's the "assist" part, you see, that makes the difference. Essentially, lefties campaign to make murder into something else. In this case, they are pretending that murder isn't murder if you're "assisting" someone to kill themself..but they aren't able to (for whatever reason).

Technically, suicide is a crime as well....

If there's a crime, it would have to be attempted suicide, since once you've committed suicide, it's too late to bother charging you with anything. :D

Assisted suicide, at least as I understand the way people have attempted to have it legalized, is about providing drugs with which a person can kill themselves. Calling it murder seems to ignore any personal responsibility on the part of the person killing themselves. It would be more of an accessory to attempted suicide, I think. I understand you are opposed to the practice, and can even understand the arguments as to why it is a bad idea to legalize, but going overboard and saying it's murder (or invoking the Nazis, because that never gets old....) doesn't strengthen your argument. It does the opposite.

No, I think assisted suicide also includes administration of lethal doses of drugs.

No, the difference between murder and ASSISTED suicide is a language thing.

It's the "assist" part, you see, that makes the difference. Essentially, lefties campaign to make murder into something else. In this case, they are pretending that murder isn't murder if you're "assisting" someone to kill themself..but they aren't able to (for whatever reason).

Technically, suicide is a crime as well....

If there's a crime, it would have to be attempted suicide, since once you've committed suicide, it's too late to bother charging you with anything. :D

Assisted suicide, at least as I understand the way people have attempted to have it legalized, is about providing drugs with which a person can kill themselves. Calling it murder seems to ignore any personal responsibility on the part of the person killing themselves. It would be more of an accessory to attempted suicide, I think. I understand you are opposed to the practice, and can even understand the arguments as to why it is a bad idea to legalize, but going overboard and saying it's murder (or invoking the Nazis, because that never gets old....) doesn't strengthen your argument. It does the opposite.

No, I think assisted suicide also includes administration of lethal doses of drugs.

It does,administered by the person killing themselves.

No, I mean like a prescription for that specific purpose.

Search Results

1. as·sist·ed su·i·cide

Noun:The suicide of a patient suffering from an incurable disease, effected by the taking of lethal drugs provided by a doctor for this purpose.

Yup, I was right.

Do you feel terminally ill patients should have the right to ask doctors to help them die? Do we as a nation spend too much time trying to keep people alive that we have abandoned the notion of allowing people to have a dignified death?

Absolutely

You are now "allowed" to die by removing feeding tubes or a respirator and you can suffer for your last hours or days till you finally die. Barbaric

It shouldn't be done on a whim and there needs to be a formal process to end someones life but the patient should have the choice to say ...enough

I just transferred a patient to hospice care today.

This issue is infinitely more complicated then people realize and, unless you have experienced it or are around it a lot, you probably wouldn't understand and your preconceived notions about death and dying and your personal religious beliefs mean little at the end of the day. especially when it comes to someone else's pain and suffering.

If you'd personally suffer in agony then do anything that could potentially offend the higher deity of your choice, you have that right. You don't have the right to inflict that on other people.

Sure you do.

You have the right to live, even if you are in great pain, even if your life annoys the hell out of other people.

You do NOT have the right to demand that other people kill you..and people do not have the right to off people based on whether or not they want to care for them or not....

That's suicide.

It's ASSISTED suicide if the doctor prescribes a lethal dose for the specific purpose of killing his or herself.

This isn't all that complicated.

Sure you do.

You have the right to live, even if you are in great pain, even if your life annoys the hell out of other people.

You do NOT have the right to demand that other people kill you..and people do not have the right to off people based on whether or not they want to care for them or not....

And if only that were the actual reality of this debate, I would agree with you. The very few people who have utilized Oregon's "Death With Dignity" act haven't been forced to do so by others and they haven't forced anyone to kill them.

I was talking about euthanasia. It is physician assisted suicide.

No, not the same.

Physical assisted sucide is where someone has actively asked for help. The physican supplies the means for the patient to die, giving the person the drugs but allowing them to push the button or take the pills etc. The doctor is the supplier but is not an active participant in the death.

In euthanasia the person is unable to ask for help and the decision is on the doctors and family, and the person who administers the drugs is the doctor not the person who is dying/ill.

Are you serious with this answer?

You're assuming (very badly) that there is a difference based on the communication between the physician and the patient. If the doctor gives a patient a lethal dose of medication whether the patient administers this dose via orally or intravenously its called Euthanasia. Euthanasia whether the patient communicates it to the doctor or not its still euthanasia. I don't understand how you dont understand it.

I was talking about euthanasia. It is physician assisted suicide.

No, not the same.

Physical assisted sucide is where someone has actively asked for help. The physican supplies the means for the patient to die, giving the person the drugs but allowing them to push the button or take the pills etc. The doctor is the supplier but is not an active participant in the death.

In euthanasia the person is unable to ask for help and the decision is on the doctors and family, and the person who administers the drugs is the doctor not the person who is dying/ill.

You're assuming (very badly) that there is a difference based on the communication between the physician and the patient. If the doctor gives a patient a lethal dose of medication whether the patient administers this dose via orally or intravenously its called Euthanasia. Euthanasia whether the patient communicates it to the doctor or not its still euthanasia. I don't understand how you dont understand it.

I don't consider euthanasia the same as assisted suicide. I do think it matters if you shoot me, or you load the gun and then hand it to me. I see a distinction.

No, not the same.

I don't consider euthanasia the same as assisted suicide. I do think it matters if you shoot me, or you load the gun and then hand it to me. I see a distinction.

It doesn't matter what you think, the medical board is in agreement that Euthanasia means physician assisted suicide.

It doesn't matter what you think, the medical board is in agreement that Euthanasia means physician assisted suicide.

I'm aware that PAS is considered a category of euthanasia, however that is a really broad brush.

Euthanasia isn't the same as assisted suicide, but it's still just a matter of degrees.

Euthanasia is the *next step*.

I dont want to sound rude but just because you guys share your own personal experiences with your loved ones who suffered, does mean you come up with a logical reason for euthanasia. Pain should not be the sole criteria for euthanasia nor should the patient asking for it. Euthanasia is a slippery slope. You allow euthanasia might as well allow it for people with clinical depression.

Euthanasia is not the same as physican assisted suicide. I would say, it would have to be written in a will by the person, death would have to be certain and verified by a panel of independent doctors and signed off on by at least 2 members of the family, the patients physican and the independent panel. And if any objection is raised by any family member, then it's an automatic no.

So...you want my crazy sister (who I can't stand and haven't seen in years) able to forcibly keep me alive for months (or YEARS!) with ALS? You want her able to force my wife (who she loathes) to die in agony of cancer? (Yes, she IS fully capable of doing either of those solely to hurt my wife!) Not just no, I say HELL NO!

It sounds like you have a specific issue with a family member. The rational thing to do is to get an advanced directive and remove any decisional capacity from her. This happens all the time and your wishes will be easily honored. Especially if they are in writing.

I am sorry you have ALS. It's a horrible disease.

What medical board?

Euthanasia isn't the same as assisted suicide, but it's still just a matter of degrees.

Euthanasia is the *next step*.

So.... Ultimately..... Another "slippery slope" argument.

I reject that. There is a big and distinguishable difference between PAS and euthanasia that boils down to who administers the lethal drug.

Forum List

Back