Physician assisted suicide

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by AmyNation, Sep 13, 2012.

1. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Do you feel terminally ill patients should have the right to ask doctors to help them die? Do we as a nation spend too much time trying to keep people alive that we have abandoned the notion of allowing people to have a dignified death?

2. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Why not? I have always found that laws against committing suicide are asinine. If you don’t want to be here, so be it. I have no problem with you finishing yourself off if that is truly what you want. Such a process needs to be well thought out, we don’t want errors in such a situation but you have dominion over your body. Why not dominion in ending it.

3. Noomi

Noomi Ninja Kicker Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,878
    Of course. As long as the doctor agrees to help, I don't see a problem with it. Its much kinder than making a terminally ill person suffer.

4. AmyNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    It seems like an obvious choice. If someone doesnt want to live, then don't force them. And yet, we dont allow doctors to help.

5. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Yes, I do feel terminally ill patients should have the right to ask doctors to help them die, and you would be surprised at the number of physicians I know, really feel that way, too.

They hate prolonging death, even though suffering can be relieved.

In Oregon, we have the Death with Dignity Law and I love that option. If two physicians and one psychologist agree that if a patient has a terminal diagnosis and would be expected to die within six months, the patient's physician can legally write a prescription for the medicines that would end their life. The physician cannot assist or touch the patient. The patient has to be able to hold the pills and swallow them, without any assist. from a physician. Not all patients can do that.

This is a state law voted in by registered voters.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    My mother-in-law was terrified she might suffer some slow agonizing painful downward spiral to eventual death as she'd witnessed of friends and loved ones in her later years. So she made the wife and her three brothers swear if it ever came to such circumstance for her that they'd just slip her a plastic bag she could put over her head and tie around her neck herself one night and just go to sleep, forever.

And there is no doubt in my mind one or all of them would have done it had it ever come to that, but she fortunately never suffered before just dying of old age one day. But it's sad she, or anyone, would ever have to consider something like that in this day in age.

7. AmyNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    My grandmother watched her brother and sister slip away into Alzheimer's. My great aunt lived for more than 10 years after her mind was completely lost. A better part of those years she spent drugged for her own safety. It was my grandmothers greatest fear, to end up like her siblings.

8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Let's start with the guy in prison who wants a tax funded sex change.

9. PaulS1950

PaulS1950 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    There is a human right to choice. Choosing a kinder, gentler way of dying is a basic human right.
    Too many doctors have "god complexes" and think they should force people to exhaust every last chance (spelled dollar) for a few extra months of miserable life.
    I should be able to choose if I want to live after my life, as I prefer it, ends.

Where in the constitution does it give the government the power to say I can't choose?

10. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Yes, but doctors shouldn't be compelled to assist.