Pharmacists can't refuse Plan B pill

So if I choose to sell aspirin but not prescription drugs? If I don't carry opiates because the are of town in which I do business has a lot of pharmaceutical theft, and I instead tell people where they can purchase it?

Should every store be forced to sell everything?

JB, if you don't sell prescription drugs you are not running a pharmacy. You're being especially obtuse tonight.

This pill is OTC medication, not prescription, but it's held in the pharmacy. Pharmacists who object to selling it should get out of the business. They don't need to bring religious beliefs to work and attempt to impose them on pharmacy patients.

Soon they'll try to control what their employer sells and simply be fired.

They dispense drugs, they're not there to provide moral advice.

Your way off Sarah - it is the owners that are limiting the sales as is their right. If an employee will not sell a specific medication they must be up front before they are hired or I see no reason they should not be fired for refusing to do the job they were hired for. Of course they will likely file suit claiming breach of religion but that is not the topic here. Why do you think a business owner should be required to sell a product?

It's just the abortion issue. In Washington a pharmacist must sell Plan B, in Missouri they can refuse. In some places pharmacists have refused to sell other forms of birth control.

I can see where this discussion is going.

No, it goes beyond that issue as they are requiring people to sell a specific product. The abortion issue gives this product a fanatical following to defend it (as well as fanatical opposition) but it still amounts to a requirement to sell a specific product. IMO, I could care less about the reasoning or the product, a store has the right to sell and not to sell whatever it pleases.
I believe the obligation of the pharmacist is too fill the doctor's prescription. The pharmacist should not have the option of denying the patient a drug that the doctor has prescribed because of personal beliefs. If the pharmacist can deny Plan B, because of his personal beliefs, he can refuse to sell any drug for any of a number of reasons. In small rural communities there are not a lot of drug stores to choose from. If one drug store in a community refuses to sell a drug then others can also. Being a pharmacist is not like selling shoes where the seller can pick and choose what he wants to sell.

Why are they obligated to do anything? It is a private business. Where do we get off demanding a business carry specific drugs for our convenience. Why is it that you seem to believe that the plan b MUST be carried by local pharmacies yet they are allowed and quite frequently refuse to carry the myriad of drugs that we require. In my case it is a matter of life and death! Should I petition for the same treatment for my medications?

Being a pharmacist is not like selling shoes where the seller can pick and choose what he wants to sell.

Why not?

They're a private company. Why shouldn't they be able to decide whether they wish to sell condoms, trident gum, Red Vines, or any other given product?

So far we've all called for the Health Department making BC available, and I''m sure few would have any reasonable objection to hospitals making Plan B available.

A new law here in Washington forces pharmacies to carry and sell the Plan B pill. Owners of several pharmacies have filed lawsuit based on the freedom of religion claiming that Plan B is against their beliefs and they refuse to sell the contraceptive. Lawmakers are contemplating changing the law to read that they do not have to carry Plan B if they refer customers to a nearby store that does sell the pill.

I wonder what the take on this concept is here. I am somewhat taken aback by this as I would have thought that it would naturally be the right of the business owner to decide what he or she sells. What right does the state have to mandate that a particular business sells anything. I understand regulation and placing limitations on items that a business is allowed to sell but forcing one to sell something seems over the top. What are your thoughts?

Pharmacists can't refuse Plan B pill, appeals court says - Los Angeles Times

they could decide not to be pharmacists if carrying pharmaceuticals upsets them.

So if I sell Beefeater, I should be forced to sell Skyy?

Good try.

You cited a NEJM article that was cited by other articles. If you want to cite a text book you will have to provide something more than you did.

Or you could learn to fucking read

Like I said, if you want to cite a textbook you will have to provide more. Either of the following will do.

Purdue OWL

MLA Citation Style

If you're too stupid to know how to Google a book title and find information on the text, that's your problem.

The RU-486 pill is the abortion drug. Not the same thing as Plan B.

Is RU-486 still available for purchase in the U.S.?

I think so. It is considered the same thing as an abortion, you take it in your doctor's office and go home but if it doesn't work, the doc has to be committed enough to do the surgical alternative.

I've never known anyone who has taken it but I found a lot of info online after seeing this thread.

It costs $300-500. Very expensive when you could easily use contraception beforehand. I think I saw Plan B was around $40. That doesn't work if you're already pregnant tho.

JB, if you don't sell prescription drugs you are not running a pharmacy. You're being especially obtuse tonight.

This pill is OTC medication, not prescription, but it's held in the pharmacy. Pharmacists who object to selling it should get out of the business. They don't need to bring religious beliefs to work and attempt to impose them on pharmacy patients.

Your way off Sarah - it is the owners that are limiting the sales as is their right. If an employee will not sell a specific medication they must be up front before they are hired or I see no reason they should not be fired for refusing to do the job they were hired for. Of course they will likely file suit claiming breach of religion but that is not the topic here. Why do you think a business owner should be required to sell a product?

Their job is to dispense drugs, not to judge the patient. YOU are way off trying to make people believe that Plan B and the abortion drug are one and the same. Do you also think a pharmacist should have a choice about whether to dispense BC pills or condoms?

Arm yourself with information before posting that way you won't look dumb.

Their job is to dispense drugs, not to judge the patient. YOU are way off trying to make people believe that Plan B and the abortion drug are one and the same. Do you also think a pharmacist should have a choice about whether to dispense BC pills or condoms?

What if they don't carry your brand of toilet paper, should Congress pass a law requiring it?

I wonder if those pharmacists that are so pissed carry regular birth control pills.

Birth control prevents an egg from dropping in the first place and therefore prevents the fertilization of the egg. Plan B does not allow the egg to implant in the wall AFTER fertilization, the point at which many feel life begins at.
Bullshit.

You "moralists" STILL don't get to rewrite science.

:rolleyes:

"A woman does not become pregnant immediately after having unprotected sex because the biological process takes several days. EBC prevents pregnancy by working during the period of time after a woman has unprotected sex and before she actually becomes pregnant."

Well, I don't think you can compare a pharmacy to a shoe store, FAQ2. I don't pretend to know all that much about drugs, but the only instance I can think of where a pharmacist should be injecting himself into the patient-doctor relationship is one in which he believes the doctor might be unaware the patient is seeing 6 other doctors or the script is in error. The script is given after a medical consultation and his only role in that is to fill it accurately.

I'm sure the professionals in this field handle many thorny ethical dilemmas, like filling erectile dysfunction drug scripts for AIDS patients. Someone who grieves over the life choices of every customer should find less taxing work...not usurp the doctor's right to prescribe, or the patient's to seek medical care.

Why is it that a pregnant woman gets consideration over a severely ill child?
'Cause too-many of them STILL remember how counter-productive barefoot/pregnant & IGNORANT was???????

What if they don't carry your brand of toilet paper, should Congress pass a law requiring it?

The Pharmacist is not necessarily the owner of the pharmacy. The law had to do with a pharmacist objecting to selling the Plan B pill, not whether they had it in stock.

?? Try arming yourself first. I never stated any such thing. Quit making up things as you go along.

The Pharmacist is not necessarily the owner of the pharmacy. The law had to do with a pharmacist objecting to selling the Plan B pill, not whether they had it in stock.

!!!!!
FROM THE SECOND SENTENCE IN THE LINKED ARTICLE.
In a case that could affect policy across the western U.S., a supermarket pharmacy owner in Olympia, Wash., failed in a bid to block 2007 regulations that required all Washington pharmacies to stock and dispense the pills.
And you are the one that stated:
Try and at least understand what you are arguing against in the first place. MAJOR FAIL Sarah. If you can't even bother to read the article don't come here making shit up.

?? Try arming yourself first. I never stated any such thing. Quit making up things as you go along.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....so....​

"Plan B does not allow the egg to implant in the wall AFTER fertilization, the point at which many feel life begins at."

.....you don't (officially) count yourself as one-o'-many.....so as to avoid any risk o' defending such a theocratic-agenda....right?

(Being out-numbered surely-does seem to dilute you "conservatives'" righteousness. :eusa_eh: )​

A new law here in Washington forces pharmacies to carry and sell the Plan B pill. Owners of several pharmacies have filed lawsuit based on the freedom of religion claiming that Plan B is against their beliefs and they refuse to sell the contraceptive. Lawmakers are contemplating changing the law to read that they do not have to carry Plan B if they refer customers to a nearby store that does sell the pill.

I wonder what the take on this concept is here. I am somewhat taken aback by this as I would have thought that it would naturally be the right of the business owner to decide what he or she sells. What right does the state have to mandate that a particular business sells anything. I understand regulation and placing limitations on items that a business is allowed to sell but forcing one to sell something seems over the top. What are your thoughts?

Pharmacists can't refuse Plan B pill, appeals court says - Los Angeles Times

You and these pharmacists who sued that they shouldn't have to dispense on religious grounds are attempting to portray the Plan B drug as being the same thing as RU-486 and it is not.

Pharmacists are obliged to dispense the Plan B pill, even if they are personally opposed to the "morning after" contraceptive on religious grounds, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

In a case that could affect policy across the western U.S., a supermarket pharmacy owner in Olympia, Wash., failed in a bid to block 2007 regulations that required all Washington pharmacies to stock and dispense the pills.

The sources I looked at last night said that you should call ahead first to see whether they have the drug in stock. I don't believe they have to stock the drug if they can give you the name of a pharmacy who does stock it.

This is not rocket science. If they carry birth control pills and hand them to the customer and it doesn't go against their religious beliefs, the Plan B pill should not go against their beliefs either. As someone stated earlier, you could take a handful of BC pills and get the same affect as they both have the same contraceptive make up.

The RU-486 drug actually aborts the pregnancy. The pharmacists do not sell this drug directly to the customer, the doctor gives the drug to the patient.

You are making a mistake if you think that Plan B and RU-486 are the same drug and I get the impression from your post that this is what you are doing.

Being a pharmacist is not like selling shoes where the seller can pick and choose what he wants to sell.

Why not?

They're a private company. Why shouldn't they be able to decide whether they wish to sell condoms, trident gum, Red Vines, or any other given product?

So far we've all called for the Health Department making BC available, and I''m sure few would have any reasonable objection to hospitals making Plan B available.
It's a violation of the state licensing rules. Also the court ruled a patient's right to timely medication supersedes a pharmacist's personal convictions.

Why not?

When you're ready to take Plan B, you have a very short window of time. That is one reason they don't require a prescription, you don't have time to get one from your doc say on a weekend.

Forum List

Back