Pharmacists can't refuse Plan B pill

A new law here in Washington forces pharmacies to carry and sell the Plan B pill. Owners of several pharmacies have filed lawsuit based on the freedom of religion claiming that Plan B is against their beliefs and they refuse to sell the contraceptive. Lawmakers are contemplating changing the law to read that they do not have to carry Plan B if they refer customers to a nearby store that does sell the pill.

I wonder what the take on this concept is here. I am somewhat taken aback by this as I would have thought that it would naturally be the right of the business owner to decide what he or she sells. What right does the state have to mandate that a particular business sells anything. I understand regulation and placing limitations on items that a business is allowed to sell but forcing one to sell something seems over the top. What are your thoughts?

Pharmacists can't refuse Plan B pill, appeals court says - Los Angeles Times

The Statists are in charge.. you can do whatever they say you can do. Buh bye Constitution.

A new law here in Washington forces pharmacies to carry and sell the Plan B pill. Owners of several pharmacies have filed lawsuit based on the freedom of religion claiming that Plan B is against their beliefs and they refuse to sell the contraceptive. Lawmakers are contemplating changing the law to read that they do not have to carry Plan B if they refer customers to a nearby store that does sell the pill.

I wonder what the take on this concept is here. I am somewhat taken aback by this as I would have thought that it would naturally be the right of the business owner to decide what he or she sells. What right does the state have to mandate that a particular business sells anything. I understand regulation and placing limitations on items that a business is allowed to sell but forcing one to sell something seems over the top. What are your thoughts?

Maybe this has been mentioned as I have not read the entire thread, but here is how I would deal with this issue.

"I'm sorry, I am out of stock at the moment and do not know how long it will be before I receive my next shipment."

Every time someone entered my store, they would get the same reply.

The government cannot force me to stock items I do not care to stock.

Immie

If Pharms don't want public responsibility they need to find a new profession. It is not up to them to control others' live through their own self righteous glass gavels.

It's just the abortion issue. In Washington a pharmacist must sell Plan B, in Missouri they can refuse. In some places pharmacists have refused to sell other forms of birth control.

I can see where this discussion is going.

No, it goes beyond that issue as they are requiring people to sell a specific product. The abortion issue gives this product a fanatical following to defend it (as well as fanatical opposition) but it still amounts to a requirement to sell a specific product. IMO, I could care less about the reasoning or the product, a store has the right to sell and not to sell whatever it pleases.
I believe the obligation of the pharmacist is too fill the doctor's prescription. The pharmacist should not have the option of denying the patient a drug that the doctor has prescribed because of personal beliefs. If the pharmacist can deny Plan B, because of his personal beliefs, he can refuse to sell any drug for any of a number of reasons. In small rural communities there are not a lot of drug stores to choose from. If one drug store in a community refuses to sell a drug then others can also. Being a pharmacist is not like selling shoes where the seller can pick and choose what he wants to sell.

If a pharmacists refuses to sell what its customers need or want they will go out of business. In your highly unlikely scenario, customers will go to the next town over if they want a product offered there and they will refuse to do business with the one in town. Eventually, that one will go out of business or another one will move into town and put him out of business.

Immie

It's just the abortion issue. In Washington a pharmacist must sell Plan B, in Missouri they can refuse. In some places pharmacists have refused to sell other forms of birth control.

I can see where this discussion is going.

No, it goes beyond that issue as they are requiring people to sell a specific product. The abortion issue gives this product a fanatical following to defend it (as well as fanatical opposition) but it still amounts to a requirement to sell a specific product. IMO, I could care less about the reasoning or the product, a store has the right to sell and not to sell whatever it pleases.
I believe the obligation of the pharmacist is too fill the doctor's prescription. The pharmacist should not have the option of denying the patient a drug that the doctor has prescribed because of personal beliefs. If the pharmacist can deny Plan B, because of his personal beliefs, he can refuse to sell any drug for any of a number of reasons. In small rural communities there are not a lot of drug stores to choose from. If one drug store in a community refuses to sell a drug then others can also. Being a pharmacist is not like selling shoes where the seller can pick and choose what he wants to sell.

Something else to consider here.

If the drug costs me $5/dosage to buy from the manufacturer and the market rate that I can sell it for is $3 why should I have to sell the product? It costs me capital to hold product that I cannot sell.

Immie

If Pharms don't want public responsibility they need to find a new profession. It is not up to them to control others' live through their own self righteous glass gavels.

The Plan B medication is an excellent idea.

Nevertheless, the governments in these US have no authority to force pharmacists to carry or dispense it.

.:eek:

Their job is to dispense drugs, not to judge the patient. YOU are way off trying to make people believe that Plan B and the abortion drug are one and the same. Do you also think a pharmacist should have a choice about whether to dispense BC pills or condoms?

Arm yourself with information before posting that way you won't look dumb.

What if they don't carry your brand of toilet paper, should Congress pass a law requiring it?

The Pharmacist is not necessarily the owner of the pharmacy. The law had to do with a pharmacist objecting to selling the Plan B pill, not whether they had it in stock.

If you are talking about the employee of the pharmacy that is a different manner. I think those of us on the opposite side from your point of view are looking at it as the owner of the pharmacy. I know that is how I see it.

If I am the employee of the pharmacy and I don't want to sell product that the owner wants to sell, then I can always quit and go elsewhere. I work for the employer. He/she does not work for me.

Immie

Maybe this has been mentioned as I have not read the entire thread, but here is how I would deal with this issue.

"I'm sorry, I am out of stock at the moment and do not know how long it will be before I receive my next shipment."

Immie

I'm the kind of asshole that would stand in front of your store with a sign that reads:

"Woman Hating Pharmacy"

Immie

I'm the kind of asshole that would stand in front of your store with a sign that reads:

"Woman Hating Pharmacy"

That would be okay with me. You'd grow up and get tired of it eventually. :lol:

Immie

What if they don't carry your brand of toilet paper, should Congress pass a law requiring it?

The Pharmacist is not necessarily the owner of the pharmacy. The law had to do with a pharmacist objecting to selling the Plan B pill, not whether they had it in stock.

If you are talking about the employee of the pharmacy that is a different manner. I think those of us on the opposite side from your point of view are looking at it as the owner of the pharmacy. I know that is how I see it.

If I am the employee of the pharmacy and I don't want to sell product that the owner wants to sell, then I can always quit and go elsewhere. I work for the employer. He/she does not work for me.

Immie

Since it is an emergency medication it should be a mandated item. On what basis do you justify denying a rape victim the opportunity to prevent conception from her monster attacker?

Immie

"Woman Hating Pharmacy"

Immie

You're the one who wants to have some control over womens' bodies but I'm the one that needs to grow up?

Immie

Since it is an emergency medication it should be a mandated item. On what basis do you justify denying a rape victim the opportunity to prevent conception from her monster attacker?

On the grounds that this is still a free country and I still despite politicians of both ilks attempting to take away my freedoms, as a business owner have the right to decide what products I want to stock. I have the right to decide it I can afford to carry such product.

You know if it comes out that Plan B has certain unknown risks associated with it, Pharmacies may be held just as liable as the manufacturer by a court.

edit: and for the record, I have not said that I would not carry it. I would have to do more research on it.

Immie

"Woman Hating Pharmacy"

Immie

You're the one who wants to have some control over womens' bodies but I'm the one that needs to grow up?

That is absolutely not true. In fact, it is downright deceptive of you to even imply that.

I simply stated that it is my business and I have the right to decide what products I carry.

Immie

Immie

Bullshit.

The medication is effective if taken within 72 hours - 3 days - from the encounter. It doesn't take 3 days to find a friendly pharmacist.

Immie

Well if the owner is selling birth control pills, he should have no objection to Plan B. If the owner is not selling birth control pills, he's a terrible business owner.

I'd just put em in a candy dish and label it free for all welfare queens! :lol::lol:

Immie

Bullshit.

The medication is effective if taken within 72 hours - 3 days - from the encounter. It doesn't take 3 days to find a friendly pharmacist.

Omg, you all are really crazy.. :cuckoo:

Up to 72 hours. Obviously the sooner the better. They aren't saying wait 72 hours then take it.

Forum List

Back