Pew: Americans giving up on God, miracles

The OP is a fib. 80% of Americans are churched in one fashion or another. Pew is talking about those Americans who are unchurched, and that is only about 1/2 of them, which is about 10% of the American population.

Where in our constitution is this "infusion of religious ideals" you speak of. And what religion and what ideals exactly?

Didn't say it was in the Constitution. I said it was the thinking of some of the Founding Fathers. It's no big secret.
Some of them were Deists too, that's also no big secret.

So your opinion is that some founding fathers wanted an "infusion of religious ideals", and you have decided that means religion should influence our govt, despite nothing in our laws stating it should. What religion is that exactly? And what is the list of ideals? This is important so please be precise, no vague answers.

Where in our constitution is this "infusion of religious ideals" you speak of. And what religion and what ideals exactly?

Didn't say it was in the Constitution. I said it was the thinking of some of the Founding Fathers. It's no big secret.
Some of them were Deists too, that's also no big secret. So your opinion is that some founding fathers wanted an "infusion of religious ideals", and you have decided that means religion should influence our govt, despite nothing in our laws stating it should. What religion is that exactly? And what is the list of ideals? This is important so please be precise, no vague answers.
Meriweather is correct about religious ideals and values influencing our government. The Declaration of Independence, religious language cast in a way that deists as well as Christians, is one such document. and I am sure that Meri can come up with fifty quotes of the Founders and their compatriots on the importance of religious values in our government. However, the Founders, imo, did not want institutional religion to influence the government.

Some of them were Deists too, that's also no big secret. So your opinion is that some founding fathers wanted an "infusion of religious ideals", and you have decided that means religion should influence our govt, despite nothing in our laws stating it should. What religion is that exactly? And what is the list of ideals? This is important so please be precise, no vague answers.
Meriweather is correct about religious ideals and values influencing our government. The Declaration of Independence, religious language cast in a way that deists as well as Christians, is one such document. and I am sure that Meri can come up with fifty quotes of the Founders and their compatriots on the importance of religious values in our government. However, the Founders, imo, did not want institutional religion to influence the government.

They absolutely did not want religion to influence govt. So which ideals from which religion are they and what ones apply? This is important if they are to influence our govt. Also maybe some of those ideals were just plain morals.

They absolutely did not want religion to influence govt. So which ideals from which religion are they and what ones apply? This is important if they are to influence our govt. Also maybe some of those ideals were just plain morals.
You conflate church with religious values, and there you lose the discussion. Yes, the Founders wanted religious values, just not organized church, influencing government.

The Constitution is a binding document. The Declaration of Independence was a smart ass letter of defiance written to the king of England. They are two entirely different documents.

The Freedom of religion would apply to elected officials. The Separation of Church and State, however, is not mentioned in the Constitution at all. I think Meriweather is right this time around.

Oh, separation of state and church is a fact, whether or not the Founders intended such.

good news for me & Bill Maher....i'm guessin Dont Taz Me Bro is an atheist? or Mormon maybe?

Pew: Americans giving up on God, miracles - Tea Party News
I am not sure what to say any longer myself? People see no sign of God? Seriously? Only those who do not seriously seek to know can claim they see no sign. You want a sign? Go read in depth about Fatima 1917 and explain how 3 shepherd children can say on July 13 the Virgin Mary said a great sign will happen on October 13 for all to see and know my words are from God. Then go read about the miracle on Oct 13 that all 70,000 present saw for themselves and fell on their knees. Then tell me it's a hoax. - - - -- How many miracles does God have to perform before you believe? I guess it is always one more than already manifested.

PS -- 80% of those excuses for not believing or practicing were either selfish or lazy or of weak reason. In other words, pathetic. (imo)

i dare you to kill me God to prove you're real.

oooooooooookay.....i can confirm i'm still alive!

Wow. I thought you were older than a 5th grader from your picture.

God does not listen to those who mock him.

Face it, you do not want to know if God exists. Yet, you will not even admit that much.

Wow. I thought you were older than a 5th grader from your picture.

God does not listen to those who mock him.

Face it, you do not want to know if God exists. Yet, you will not even admit that much.
basque is afraid of God, so he pretend that He is a bogeyman.

god doesn't exist. if he did, people wouldn't die when they're 6 months old of diseases....if there were actually a god...and lets people die in syria...he's the cruelest motherfucker i have ever seen!

you're on the ropes now!

god doesn't exist. if he did, people wouldn't die when they're 6 months old of diseases....if there were actually a god...and lets people die in syria...he's the cruelest motherfucker i have ever seen!

you're on the ropes now!
You have no idea what or who a God is. That's your problem.

Forum List

Back