Pet Nutrition

I feed my dogs (two dobermans, two miniature pinshcers and one shar pei) Canine Caviar lamb & pearl millet dry food. In addition, at dinner they get a modest scoop of homemade wet food. It consists of brown rice, cottage cheese, salt free green beans, baked chicken breast, scrambled egg and boiled hamburger. I make up batches and freeze it. At serviing time I use a little of the juice the hamburger was boiled in to moisten it (fat removed). They also get Greenies, bully sticks, Iams biscuits, Milk Bone puppy biscuits and chicken jerky as treats. As well as meat scraps from the table as long as not too fatty and no onions used in the cooking. And the occasional french fry or cooked spaghetti noodle (one of my dobes goes crazy over these). Everything in moderation.

I free feed the dry food... it is always out, they can eat when they want. My theory behind this is they will never be overly hungry and gorge themselves...a risk factor for bloat.

My cats...eh...they just get Iams dry food (always out) and a dab of Fancy Feast or Friskies canned food as a dinner treat. Actually, I also have Purina, as a couple of the strays I took in prefer that. Of my seven cats, five were strays trying to survive Alaskan winters. They've never had it so good as they do now!

Oh, I forgot...my one doberman who has arthritis gets 1500 mg glucosamine and 1500 mg MSM each day. In addition to monthly shots of Adequan. The Adequan pretty much stopped her arthritis in its tracks. The plant was shut down by the FDA, I hope they have it back in operation in time for her to have her September 1 shot! Before the Adequan the vet had her on pain pills...not the route I prefer. The pain pills just kill the pain, the Adequan actually reverses some of the damage.

Last edited:
Always fed my dog Innova, best dog food on the market and Vetri-Science supplements. She also the occasional beer too :)

Innova is great food and I fed it till Wilderness, grain free, came along.

I was feeding Taste of the Wild but Diamond has had two recalls and I decided I would go to Wilderness. No recalls for Blue Buffaloe.

Wilderness is put out by Blue Buffaloe, another great foot. Wilderness is the grain free and Blue Buffaloe is made with meat and brown rice.

All my dogs love it and I add a teaspoon of wet twice a week. The kids think they got a two pound steak. LOL

Poop is smaller, turns white and disappears in the yard.

Paying more for your dog food is well worth it in my book. In this case more expensive really is BETTER.

Interesting. I have not heard of that one. Then again I've been out of the loop for about 5 years now. I still put my faith in Innova, my dog's coat and overall health was superb when she was on it.

But I would definitely agree that expensive is usually better in this case. But even still, you have to learn to read ingredients. You want to avoid products with ground yellow corn and/or corn gluten meal, beef tallow, animal digest (really bad), brewer's rice (a cheap and unhealthy alternative for brown rice), Phosphoric Acid (implies poor quality fats are used)....basically anything from Purina lol. Some of these things are unavoidable, but at the very least try to buy products that do not have these ingredients listed near the top

It hurts and outrages me that some of the stuff on the market is even made. These pets have no choice in what they are fed, they have to eat what they are given and to provide some of this crap to an animal is just this side of criminal.

I agree. Great post my friend. Always read those labels.

I always read the ingredients and I agree about Purina. My horse grain is put out by Purina and thats good. Purina puts out some super horse food.

Will never feed any of my dogs anything put out by Purina though. Garbage.

Anything you can buy in the food store is usually bad. Just get on the internet and look up commercial dog food. What a horror story.

I agree. Great post my friend. Always read those labels.

I always read the ingredients and I agree about Purina. My horse grain is put out by Purina and thats good. Purina puts out some super horse food.

Will never feed any of my dogs anything put out by Purina though. Garbage.

Anything you can buy in the food store is usually bad. Just get on the internet and look up commercial dog food. What a horror story.

Cool, I didn't know Purina put out horse grain. But then, that's not surprising as I know absolutely nothing about horses, keeping horses etc. They freak me out; I do volunteer work with a rescue group and whenever we're called to take in a horse, I keep in the background and keep out of contact with the horse.

One day I want to get to know horses, they seem so placid and nice. But there's something about being around such a huge animal that weirds me out.

Loads of folks are afraid of horses because of the size. Actually horses are big chicken shits. If you jump at them or yell they will run. Fight or flight takes over. In the wild horses are a prey animals.

Horses are great though. I love to trail ride and did show horses for over a decade.

One expensive hobby though.

Loads of folks are afraid of horses because of the size. Actually horses are big chicken shits. If you jump at them or yell they will run. Fight or flight takes over. In the wild horses are a prey animals.

Horses are great though. I love to trail ride and did show horses for over a decade.

One expensive hobby though.

Unfortunately I've seen one too many AFV videos where horses kick the crap out of people xD

Forum List

Back