Personal responsibility vs. Public safety net

If you over buy in the housing market, it's your fault. If you are employed and lose your job due to circumstances not of your making, some provision should be in place to help your family in order the community at large does not suffer.

And the current health care system is obviously broken. Premiums and co-pays are on the rise (I myself have not had a raise in 4 years because the health care premiums have sucked the budget dry) and the services provided are eroding. Capitalism has failed to provide economical, effective health care.

The "provision" that should be in place to help the unemployed individual is what? Unemployment? Mortgage insurance? How about maybe....savings? What you are really stating is that government should eliminate risk and uncertainty in life- for the greater good. Which is bullshit.

And the current system is not broken. It needs some changing. You have not had a raise in 4 years because of what? Maybe you are a shitty employee?

Capitalism seems to have provided over 200 million individuals with insurance, most of whom are happuy with it.
I explained why I and all my colleagues have not received raises. The premiums charged by our health care provider have sucked any excess out of our budget. Thanks, Capitalism! I am now working to fund an insurance company!

And those with health care are seeing their benefits erode while the premiums continue to rise beyond the costs of everything else. Thanks again, Capitalism!

And savings is a worthy thing. But to have half a town thrown out of work when the mill or factory shuts down and ships the machinery to Asia to start all over, savings won't pay the health care premiums, the electric bill, the mortgage and the kids food bill very long, will it?

Many of our woes are the result of catering to Capitalists. "Free" trade?!? Ask any working (or formerly working) person in this part of our country how well that opening of Mexican markets has worked out! But, the board of directors of the large corporations get more face time with law makers than us poor working stiffs. So the gravy goes to them. All in the name of "the greater good". Thanks, Capitalism! You have enriched the Capitalists beyond even their capacity for greed would permit them to believe! Let the poor working class fend for themselves! What a solution!

Sounds like you should be lookin for a new employer. Quit whining. As for the mill closing- might wanna go where the jobs are, or accept the risk inherent in your industry.

The poor, working class, of which I was a member most of my life- have it pretty goddamn good. THANKS, CAPITALISM.

I would have paid my debt instead of sucking off the taxpayers by gouging the hospital for $20,000

By their very nature, liberals mooch off the producers... all the while denouncing them.

Nope, they had to settle for what you could give them, hence the "settlement." This happens to hospitals and doctors all the time, it's not feasible for them to go after all the dead beats so they take what they can get.

And if they performed back surgery on you, it was emergency surgery...otherwise they would have made you pay in advance.

All this makes you an entitlement junky with no real personal responsibility.

:lol:

The guy you've been arguing with that paid off his knee surgery actually knows the definition of personal responsibility that eludes you.

I guess they were forced into the settlements. Fuckin moron.

And yes- it was emergency surgery. As for the entitlement junky part- I qualified for various means of state assistance for my catastrophic injury. Could have passed it off to the state- who would have paid the providers less than I did. And when two private entities negotiate a setttlement of debts- there is no "entitlement" involved. Nice try, though- but keep going on about how irresponsible I was in paying my medical debts....
You said you paid off $30,000 of a $50,000 debt. That means you gouged the system, and the taxpayers. You're a fraud, that is all there is to it.

Ass.

And stuck the rest of us with the bill - wonder where they made up the $20,000 this guy stiffed 'em for? Yup, jacked up the price for the rest of us who DO pay our way.

You said you paid off $30,000 of a $50,000 debt. That means you gouged the system, and the taxpayers. You're a fraud, that is all there is to it.

Ass.

Two sides mutaully agreeing to cash in hand over payments does not amount to gouging, but think what you want. If it was you in the position, you'd have cried to mommy.
I would have paid my debt instead of sucking off the taxpayers by gouging the hospital for $20,000. :lol:

you dumbass, my settlements did not give rise to higher taxes.

And judging by your tone with respect to my payment of my debt- I am 100% certain you would have cried about govt not helping you out, which is what you have been doing this whole thread. Some people are born whiners- you among them.

I guess they were forced into the settlements. Fuckin moron.

And yes- it was emergency surgery. As for the entitlement junky part- I qualified for various means of state assistance for my catastrophic injury. Could have passed it off to the state- who would have paid the providers less than I did. And when two private entities negotiate a setttlement of debts- there is no "entitlement" involved. Nice try, though- but keep going on about how irresponsible I was in paying my medical debts....

Ass.

And stuck the rest of us with the bill - wonder where they made up the $20,000 this guy stiffed 'em for? Yup, jacked up the price for the rest of us who DO pay our way.

How much of my medical bill did you have to pay?

What kind of country do we want to be?

Do we want people begging in the streets to feed their children?
Do we want people sleeping in the streets?
Do we want people wandering among us carrying infectious disease?
Do we want people dying in the streets?

That is how third world countries operate. There is no "safety net" in third world countries. You live or die based on your lot in life.

We are the wealtiest country on earth. How do we want to be known based on our treatment of citizens?

Shouldn't we strive for the best?

All of those are incredibly ambiguous, general, vagueries. 'Shouldn't we strive for the best'? The best what? Best at giving people as much as humanly possible? Best at making sure everyone's needs are taken care of? That won't create the 'best' society by any stretch of the imagination.

You're 'Do we want' list implies that those things would happen if someone else didn't do them for them. You don't live and die based on your lot in life. You live or die by the strength of your motivation or lack of it.

When you list all these doomsday notions about what you think will be if we don't provide all these things you do other things as well. You lower expectations for society as whole. Don't worry we don't expect you to feed yourself. We don't expect you to actually pay for your house. etc.

When it is understood that certain things are not expected of you, in most cases, you're not going to do them. You are going to DO less. You will be challenged less and as a result you will become weaker. Is that really what's best for society?

Every society has it winners and its losers. We have some people who work 16 hour days, showing untapped initiative and drive. At the other end of the spectrum are those who have trouble just getting out of bed in the morning. Regardless of your perpective, our society will always reward the gogetter. Nobody is advocating that we pay the lazy lowlife the same as a go-getter.
The question is, how do we treat the people who lack initiative, intelligence or strength to fully function in our society. No matter how hard you beat that horse, it is not going to function at the levels of successful Americans.
Many seem to think they should be driven out into the cold and told it is your own fault so suffer. I am only advocating a basic level of sustenance (three hots and a cot) regardless of how undeserving you are. By all means give them incentives to improve their lot in life.
I just don't think a country as rich and humanitarian as the US should have people living and begging in the streets

Ass.

How much of my medical bill did you have to pay?

We ALL covered it for you - by paying higher prices. There's no such thing as a free lunch. You just passed the check to everyone else.
And then go around trying to preach "personal responsibility."

What a hypocrite.

All in the name of "the greater good". Thanks, Capitalism! You have enriched the Capitalists beyond even their capacity for greed would permit them to believe! Let the poor working class fend for themselves! What a solution!

Could you be a bigger pussy? Geeze.. stop whining.
You haven't got the stones to tell this to those thrown out of work, do you. I mean face to face. The safety of internet message board provides you with the dutch courage to be an asshole, but hardly intellectually honest.

Anyway... last I checked, every program that has been put in place by liberals is bankrupt. So.. the argument seems to be that they have done so well that we should double-down now. Who the hell buys any of this in light of every bit of evidence demonstrating we shouldn't trust them with one cent?

Two sides mutaully agreeing to cash in hand over payments does not amount to gouging, but think what you want. If it was you in the position, you'd have cried to mommy.
I would have paid my debt instead of sucking off the taxpayers by gouging the hospital for $20,000. :lol:

you dumbass, my settlements did not give rise to higher taxes.

And judging by your tone with respect to my payment of my debt- I am 100% certain you would have cried about govt not helping you out, which is what you have been doing this whole thread. Some people are born whiners- you among them.
:rolleyes: This thread is about personal responsibility. Something you've demonstrated you don't have. You didn't pay $20,000 that you owed. This debt of yours gets passed on to the rest of us...mainly taxpayers that pay for your debt through higher prices and steeper insurance premiums.

You really are an idiot.

You haven't got the stones to tell this to those thrown out of work, do you. I mean face to face. The safety of internet message board provides you with the dutch courage to be an asshole, but hardly intellectually honest

Funny.. you didn't argue that you're not a whiny pussy.

The "provision" that should be in place to help the unemployed individual is what? Unemployment? Mortgage insurance? How about maybe....savings? What you are really stating is that government should eliminate risk and uncertainty in life- for the greater good. Which is bullshit.

And the current system is not broken. It needs some changing. You have not had a raise in 4 years because of what? Maybe you are a shitty employee?

Capitalism seems to have provided over 200 million individuals with insurance, most of whom are happuy with it.
I explained why I and all my colleagues have not received raises. The premiums charged by our health care provider have sucked any excess out of our budget. Thanks, Capitalism! I am now working to fund an insurance company!

And those with health care are seeing their benefits erode while the premiums continue to rise beyond the costs of everything else. Thanks again, Capitalism!

And savings is a worthy thing. But to have half a town thrown out of work when the mill or factory shuts down and ships the machinery to Asia to start all over, savings won't pay the health care premiums, the electric bill, the mortgage and the kids food bill very long, will it?

Many of our woes are the result of catering to Capitalists. "Free" trade?!? Ask any working (or formerly working) person in this part of our country how well that opening of Mexican markets has worked out! But, the board of directors of the large corporations get more face time with law makers than us poor working stiffs. So the gravy goes to them. All in the name of "the greater good". Thanks, Capitalism! You have enriched the Capitalists beyond even their capacity for greed would permit them to believe! Let the poor working class fend for themselves! What a solution!

Sounds like you should be lookin for a new employer. Quit whining. As for the mill closing- might wanna go where the jobs are, or accept the risk inherent in your industry.

The poor, working class, of which I was a member most of my life- have it pretty goddamn good. THANKS, CAPITALISM.
Again, dutch courage. Go to where the jobs are! What a sterling idea! Wanna buy my house? That way I could afford the ticket to Singapore and get a job paying a fraction of what I made here doing the exact same thing (but without all those pesky workplace safety regulations which kept me alive!)

If reasoning like yours is what passes for solutions, keep it to yourself!

Forum List

Back