Personal responsibility vs. Public safety net

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, Nov 9, 2009.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,770
    I think it's time to remind many people here that these two ideals conflict, and at the margin, they are mutually exclusive. That is, any action that beefs up the public safety net, has a necessarily negative impact on personal responsibility and any action that weakens the safety net has a positive impact on personal responsibility. It's fundamental human nature. If you cast a wider safety net, more people will jump into it.

Some people advocate eliminating the safety net completely. This would surely force more people, for better or worse, to be responsible for their own needs.

Some people advocate for a public safety net that completely eliminates hardship, regardless of one's personal choices.

I prefer somewhere in between, but I certainly do not fool myself into thinking you can have the best of both.

Discuss.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. ThePickledPunk

ThePickledPunk BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Its a question of whether one seeks to maximize achievement and individuality, or create a herd of ordinaries.

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I hate being told to 'discuss'. Always makes me say 'no'.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. ThePickledPunk

ThePickledPunk BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29

Look how we allow our kids to be treated in school. We cater to the lowest achievers-particularly in the early grades. Indeed, many on the left would like to do away with the traditional means of rewarding achievement- with a letter grade. They want everybody to have a blue ribbon.

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,770
    Whatever you do, DO NOT discuss the topic of the op. :)

6. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    We can, but only if more work is done in our educational system to instill in students beginning at an early age a sense of independence and being able to accomplish more for themselves. To begin with it would require that teachers concentrate less on indoctrination. Just removing the indoctrination that Corporations and/or business are evil-doers would go a long way. In Junior high more focus needs to be put on those students who are not as likely to go on to college to think about their future as future business people, something that would have a lot of appeal, and help develop a sense of independence, weaing them from a sense of hopelessness.

I remember my own son, who is now 39, particularly in junior high coming home from school and speaking about the evils of corporations and questioning our national "heroes". Right then I took care to refute that stuff by pointing out some examples in our own neighborhood, business people, doctors, etc., making sure he was exposed to and respected them as models for his own life.

My advice to him was the best way not to be just a "follower" was to think for himself, and not just repeat the ideas, and mantras of jealousy and cynicism of teachers and what he saw on TV. I'm happy to say that he is now an independent self employed contractor, and successful at it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    There's a topic? :redface: How embarrassing - I missed that completely. :eusa_whistle:

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,814
    Hate to say it, but CG is dead on. :clap2:

9. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    For a second I thought Ravi started this thread then I came to my senses and realized he would never support anything that requires personal responsibility...

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    What kind of country do we want to be?

Do we want people begging in the streets to feed their children?
    Do we want people sleeping in the streets?
    Do we want people wandering among us carrying infectious disease?
    Do we want people dying in the streets?

That is how third world countries operate. There is no "safety net" in third world countries. You live or die based on your lot in life.

We are the wealtiest country on earth. How do we want to be known based on our treatment of citizens?

Shouldn't we strive for the best?