Personal responsibility vs. Public safety net

That is exactly what he, and you, meant. Anytime you would prefer to have government control aspects of your life that you would otherwise be forced to deal with, you are seeking to have some higher authority protect you from yourself. Personally- I dont need that.

Um, no it isn't. Again, you have a problem understanding what you read and not just injecting your own extremist opinions into it. I don't ask the government for anything. Never have. Ever. I work and always have worked. I just think a country as great and as wealthy as ours should take care of the least of us. I'd rather my money go toward that than the corrupt MIC that is in bed with multinationals and robbing us taxpayers blind...

I think it's time to remind many people here that these two ideals conflict, and at the margin, they are mutually exclusive. That is, any action that beefs up the public safety net, has a necessarily negative impact on personal responsibility and any action that weakens the safety net has a positive impact on personal responsibility. It's fundamental human nature. If you cast a wider safety net, more people will jump into it.

Some people advocate eliminating the safety net completely. This would surely force more people, for better or worse, to be responsible for their own needs.

Some people advocate for a public safety net that completely eliminates hardship, regardless of one's personal choices.

I prefer somewhere in between, but I certainly do not fool myself into thinking you can have the best of both.

Discuss.

I think you can have a "best of both". One of the problems IMO with our current system is that those making use of the "safety net", are not required to make personal sacrifices in return for living off the public largess. I think those taking public assistance should have to do things like, quit smoking, quit drinking and quit breeding until they get their lives back to a point where they don't need public help.
I think that those receiving public largess should also have to contribute to the system by working in some fashion. Why not have those on welfare doing some of the jobs that the public would otherwise have to hire done. Things like low cost daycare centers..elderly assistance programs.. park clean up.. ect.

I just think a country as great and as wealthy as ours should take care of the least of us

And we do..... this nonsense being discussed seeks to create many more of "the least of us" from the middle class.

Last edited:
What kind of country do we want to be?

Do we want people begging in the streets to feed their children?
Do we want people sleeping in the streets?
Do we want people wandering among us carrying infectious disease?
Do we want people dying in the streets?

That is how third world countries operate. There is no "safety net" in third world countries. You live or die based on your lot in life.

We are the wealtiest country on earth. How do we want to be known based on our treatment of citizens?

Shouldn't we strive for the best?

Define what you mean by "best?"

What he means is, a man should not have to work to pay for the food he feeds his children, the house in which they reside, or the health care they receive. The "best" country- to a lefty like right-winger- is one that recognizes food, housing, and health care as fundamental rights for the government to hand out. Who cares if poor decision-making lead someone to be hungry, homeless, and in bad health? We must protect people from themselves....

Yes, that is precisely what I believe.
I don't care if you are the meanest and laziest son of a bitch that god ever created. No matter how badly you screwed up your life, I don't think the punishment should be death and starvation for you or your family.
I don't care if it is three hots and a cot as well as basic healthcare.
EVERY human being in this country deserves a basic level of sustenance .

at least you are unabashed in your desire to see government control the health insurance industry

Basic health insurance should not be an "industry". It should not be a for-profit endeavor. Besides, where did I imply that I want government to take over the health insurance industry?

That is exactly where a public option leads. Exactly how do you think private insurers will be able to compete with an entity that need not be concerned with efficiency or bottom-line concerns?

And we do..... this nonsense being discussed seeks to create many more of "the least of us" from the middle class.

Reagan, Nafta and busco already took care of the evisceration of the middle class, not much more downward mobility left. If I have to pay less money for insurance, guess what? That's money I get to save and spend. I am in the middle class and we are HURTING.

That is exactly what he, and you, meant. Anytime you would prefer to have government control aspects of your life that you would otherwise be forced to deal with, you are seeking to have some higher authority protect you from yourself. Personally- I dont need that.

Um, no it isn't. Again, you have a problem understanding what you read and not just injecting your own extremist opinions into it. I don't ask the government for anything. Never have. Ever. I work and always have worked. I just think a country as great and as wealthy as ours should take care of the least of us. I'd rather my money go toward that than the corrupt MIC that is in bed with multinationals and robbing us taxpayers blind...

And we do. We dont need a public option for that.

Yeah? Then why don't YOU provide it and quit insisting that everybody ELSE pay for it. Typical left wing whack job..... contributes nothing to society but constantly demanding more from everybody else.

Define what you mean by "best?"

What he means is, a man should not have to work to pay for the food he feeds his children, the house in which they reside, or the health care they receive. The "best" country- to a lefty like right-winger- is one that recognizes food, housing, and health care as fundamental rights for the government to hand out. Who cares if poor decision-making lead someone to be hungry, homeless, and in bad health? We must protect people from themselves....

I don't care if you are the meanest and laziest son of a bitch that god ever created. No matter how badly you screwed up your life, I don't think the punishment should be death and starvation for you or your family.

Basic healthcare is already guaranteed. You mean to say health insurance. And children are already protected- which is why so few ever starve. I also agree that every American deserves a basic level of sustenance. And they already receive it.

I think it's time to remind many people here that these two ideals conflict, and at the margin, they are mutually exclusive. That is, any action that beefs up the public safety net, has a necessarily negative impact on personal responsibility and any action that weakens the safety net has a positive impact on personal responsibility. It's fundamental human nature. If you cast a wider safety net, more people will jump into it.

Some people advocate eliminating the safety net completely. This would surely force more people, for better or worse, to be responsible for their own needs.

Some people advocate for a public safety net that completely eliminates hardship, regardless of one's personal choices.

I prefer somewhere in between, but I certainly do not fool myself into thinking you can have the best of both.

Discuss.

Personal responsibility has precious little to do with the healthcare crisis in the US. People who have worked all of their lives are finding that their employers are not providing any healthcare benefits or have reduced their benefits and suddenly the employees have to pay well over $1,000 a month to cover their family's basic healthcare needs.

If it hasn't happened to you yet, consider yourself blessed. There are many working people with a high sense of personal responsibility that are facing problems providing health insurance for their families simply because of the greed of the insurers and the pharmaceutical companies. Interesting that you don't feel they should take any responsibility for the role they play in creating this crisis.

Discuss.

Personal responsibility has precious little to do with the healthcare crisis in the US. People who have worked all of their lives are finding that their employers are not providing any healthcare benefits or have reduced their benefits and suddenly the employees have to pay well over $1,000 a month to cover their family's basic healthcare needs.

If it hasn't happened to you yet, consider yourself blessed. There are many working people with a high sense of personal responsibility that are facing problems providing health insurance for their families simply because of the greed of the insurers and the pharmaceutical companies. Interesting that you don't feel they should take any responsibility for the role they play in creating this crisis.

There is no health care crisis. Which is not to say there is not a need for some changes. The problem is, the response of the left is typical..... total transformation over thoughtful change.

Discuss.

There is no health care crisis. Which is not to say there is not a need for some changes. The problem is, the response of the left is typical..... total transformation over thoughtful change.

Amazing how those who don't have their own problem with it refuse to recognize the problems within the rest of the country.

I'm all for personal responsibility.

Unfortuanetly there are a good many in this country who have made a living out throwing themselves into those big safety nets. There is no incentive for them to take responsibility for anything. Why should they?? We have a Govt that is more concerned with them and their wants and needs than it is with the hardworkers who provide the money. To them the taxpayers are a big cash cow they can keep on milking to take care of the irresponsible luckie duckie's in thie country.

The "market" isn't what provides basic health care for everybody, darlin. Nobody is denied basic health care.

Yes, millions of people are. A person who has to wait until they are at death's door to go to the ER because they are ill & can't afford to go to a doctor is not being provided for, sweetie. Most doctors will not even see you unless you have insurance. The ER is not providing basic health care. That is emergency care - or crisis care. Guess which costs more...

Last edited:

Basic healthcare is already guaranteed. You mean to say health insurance. And children are already protected- which is why so few ever starve. I also agree that every American deserves a basic level of sustenance. And they already receive it.

No, I mean healthcare. I don't care how it is payed for. If you are seriously ill you have a right to be treated.
I agree with you that we do provide a basic safety net. The philosophical question of this thread is personal responsibility vs a safety net. I am arguing for a basic saftey net regardless of whether you deserve it or not

Forum List

Back