Perry calls potential Fed action treasonous

The economy is suffering from a lack of demand and needs a stimulus.

This is how you prevent a deflationary spiral which we have been fighting since the collapse in 2008.

But we want deflation and dislocation of capital.

I don't know people have this unnecessary fear of deflation, but they do.

Last edited:
Perry has other problems. He signed the death warrant of a man named Cameron Todd Willingham, who was probably innocent. Later, when a commission was formed to investigate, he effectively dismantled it.

Five years after Willingham was executed, a report from a Texas Forensic Science Commission investigator found that the fire could not have been arson. As the commission prepared to hear testimony from the investigator in October 2009, Perry quickly fired and replaced three of its members, forcing an indefinite delay in the hearing.

He believes Texas has the right to secede from the Union, and claims that it's something that could actually happen.

He assigned "emergency" status to a bill last year that forces women seeking abortions to see pictures of their fetuses, and listen to their heartbeats.

He believes global warming is a crock, but last April he held a prayer vigil to stop what was becoming the worst drought in Texas history. (It didn't work, of course.)

Texas is the worst state for pollution in the US, and Perry fights hard to keep it that way. He sued the EPA, for example, to keep them from limiting greenhouse gas emissions.

Perry: Bernanke would be 'treasonous' to use stimulus again - Aug. 16, 2011

"If this guy [Ben Bernanke] prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what y'all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas.
I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history, is almost treacherous, or treasonous, in my opinion."

I don't want to debate monetary policy, except to say that it seems entirely plausible that the Fed will indeed increase the money supply sometime in the fifteen months. I do want to debate Perry's rhetoric.

Perry's words are clearly part of his populist, anti-Washington appeal, which has served him well in Texas. I think it will continue to help him with the politically active conservative Republicans that he's currently wooing. I think it will be awful for him in the general election.

Perry has many obvious strengths. I think his biggest weakness is that he will scare some voters. Quotes like these will do just that. To me, "treat him pretty ugly down in Texas," conjures up images of some violent action. Similar (indeed, more explicit) quotes got Palin in trouble following the Loughner shootings, and I think Perry's words risk being construed in a very negative light, however he intended them.

Perry's choice of target is a little odd as well. Certainly, Bernanke is not popular. However, he is a pro-business Republican originally appointed to his *independent* agency by a Republican President. It's not particularly plausible that he would damage the economy over which he has accepted stewardship in order to help a Democratic President against a pro-business Republican challenger.

If I were Perry, I would cool it on the angry words and run on my record. Perry has a record of job creation and solid conservativism nearly perfectly in line with the average Republican primary voter. He can capture the nomination as a jobs candidate rather than as a flamethrower and be better positioned to get to the White House.

Wow, this is the worst you got on Perry?

"We have a great Union, there is absolutely no reason to dissolve it"

And that's not the whole quote.

Which is fine.

Because you MUST break it up to show Perry in a good light.

“Texas is a unique place. When we came into the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that,” Perry said. “My hope is that America and Washington in particular pays attention. We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, who knows what may come of that.”

You've already been pwned on this topic once before.

Now show us where Perry calls for Texas to secede?!?!?

And for you idiot fucks a court has already ruled in Texas v White in 1869, that Texas cannot secede from the Union. However Texas came into the union with the ability to divide into five states.

Do you deny he opened the door to the possibility by saying "who knows what may come of that?" I mean, when the syndicate soldier comes into your store and says something like, "Nice place you have here, it'd be a shame if something happened to it" you needn't have to ask what he means.

The extremist views people have of Perry's statements are matched by the blinders his supporters are willing to put on to claim he never made it.

Perry has other problems. He signed the death warrant of a man named Cameron Todd Willingham, who was probably innocent. Later, when a commission was formed to investigate, he effectively dismantled it.

Five years after Willingham was executed, a report from a Texas Forensic Science Commission investigator found that the fire could not have been arson. As the commission prepared to hear testimony from the investigator in October 2009, Perry quickly fired and replaced three of its members, forcing an indefinite delay in the hearing.

He believes Texas has the right to secede from the Union, and claims that it's something that could actually happen.

He assigned "emergency" status to a bill last year that forces women seeking abortions to see pictures of their fetuses, and listen to their heartbeats.

He believes global warming is a crock, but last April he held a prayer vigil to stop what was becoming the worst drought in Texas history. (It didn't work, of course.)

Texas is the worst state for pollution in the US, and Perry fights hard to keep it that way. He sued the EPA, for example, to keep them from limiting greenhouse gas emissions.

Perry: Bernanke would be 'treasonous' to use stimulus again - Aug. 16, 2011

"If this guy [Ben Bernanke] prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what y'all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas.
I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history, is almost treacherous, or treasonous, in my opinion."

I don't want to debate monetary policy, except to say that it seems entirely plausible that the Fed will indeed increase the money supply sometime in the fifteen months. I do want to debate Perry's rhetoric.

Perry's words are clearly part of his populist, anti-Washington appeal, which has served him well in Texas. I think it will continue to help him with the politically active conservative Republicans that he's currently wooing. I think it will be awful for him in the general election.

Perry has many obvious strengths. I think his biggest weakness is that he will scare some voters. Quotes like these will do just that. To me, "treat him pretty ugly down in Texas," conjures up images of some violent action. Similar (indeed, more explicit) quotes got Palin in trouble following the Loughner shootings, and I think Perry's words risk being construed in a very negative light, however he intended them.

Perry's choice of target is a little odd as well. Certainly, Bernanke is not popular. However, he is a pro-business Republican originally appointed to his *independent* agency by a Republican President. It's not particularly plausible that he would damage the economy over which he has accepted stewardship in order to help a Democratic President against a pro-business Republican challenger.

If I were Perry, I would cool it on the angry words and run on my record. Perry has a record of job creation and solid conservativism nearly perfectly in line with the average Republican primary voter. He can capture the nomination as a jobs candidate rather than as a flamethrower and be better positioned to get to the White House.

You really have to wonder why he waited so long to get into the fray....since he is a johnny come lately; he has to make as much of a splash as he can and he's putting his foot in his mouth. Had he been in back in April or May, he could have couched his comments a bit if he's capable of doing so.

This is what conservative governance leads to – slow growth, poor social outcomes, greater inequality and fewer protections for workers and the environment.

And that is indeed what the right would like to see imposed on the nation as a whole.

In March, Republican staffers on Congress's Joint Economic Committee released the study responding to criticism that the deep public sector cuts they advocated would derail an already anemic “recovery.” The paper called for “decreasing the number and compensation of government workers,” which the staffers said would spur job creation because “a smaller government workforce increases the available supply of educated, skilled workers for private firms, thus lowering labor costs.”

So, a central plank in the GOP's economic recovery plan is to flood the market with yet more unemployed people in order to drive wages (which have stagnated for an extended period) further down.

In theory, an unhealthy, poorly educated population earning poverty wages in a country with low taxes, minimal environmental regulation and crappy public services would indeed lead multinationals to create more jobs here at home, but Third World status – the real promise of a Rick Perry administration – shouldn't be a goal to which the United States aspires.

Lovely. Oh, to be a Texan. Or an American if he gets the nomination. Gah.

Paul Krugman said it best. The big thing about Perry's idiotic comments is that he seems to think that Bernanke, a Bush appointee, will play politics to help Obama, a Democrat, get elected.

The Tea Party seems to honestly think you are either with them, or you are the enemy.

You think you know what the Tea Party thinks, but here is what Obama said.

If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, "We’re going to punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us," if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s going to be harder, and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/4993-obama-calls-his-critics-qenemiesq

Last edited:
"I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history, is almost treacherous, or treasonous, in my opinion," he added.

It is treasonous to call in outstanding bonds and pay them off?

Interesting theory.

FYI...here is the description of the "treasonous" action he's complaining about:

A central bank implements quantitative easing by purchasing financial assets from banks and other private sector businesses with new electronically created money .[3] [4] [5] [3] This action increases the excess reserves of the banks, and also raises the prices of the financial assets bought, which lowers their yield .[6]

Now given that the "federal assets" they're purchasing is really previously issued DEBT INSTRUMENTS and has been counted as MONEY by the banks that own it ALL ALONG, is there really any change in the money supply?

Not really.

What does change is the amount of green backs in circulation.

He's a stupid fear monger. Treason? The punishable by death treason? Yea, this guy isn't getting the Presidency.

Liberals have to attack conservatives, that's the only option they have. Lord knows Obama can't run on his record.

Forum List

Back