Perry calls potential Fed action treasonous

ladyliberal

Progressive Princess
Aug 5, 2011
Perry: Bernanke would be 'treasonous' to use stimulus again - Aug. 16, 2011

"If this guy [Ben Bernanke] prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what y'all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas.
I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history, is almost treacherous, or treasonous, in my opinion."

I don't want to debate monetary policy, except to say that it seems entirely plausible that the Fed will indeed increase the money supply sometime in the fifteen months. I do want to debate Perry's rhetoric.

Perry's words are clearly part of his populist, anti-Washington appeal, which has served him well in Texas. I think it will continue to help him with the politically active conservative Republicans that he's currently wooing. I think it will be awful for him in the general election.

Perry has many obvious strengths. I think his biggest weakness is that he will scare some voters. Quotes like these will do just that. To me, "treat him pretty ugly down in Texas," conjures up images of some violent action. Similar (indeed, more explicit) quotes got Palin in trouble following the Loughner shootings, and I think Perry's words risk being construed in a very negative light, however he intended them.

Perry's choice of target is a little odd as well. Certainly, Bernanke is not popular. However, he is a pro-business Republican originally appointed to his *independent* agency by a Republican President. It's not particularly plausible that he would damage the economy over which he has accepted stewardship in order to help a Democratic President against a pro-business Republican challenger.

If I were Perry, I would cool it on the angry words and run on my record. Perry has a record of job creation and solid conservativism nearly perfectly in line with the average Republican primary voter. He can capture the nomination as a jobs candidate rather than as a flamethrower and be better positioned to get to the White House.

"If this guy [Ben Bernanke] prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what y'all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas.
I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history, is almost treacherous, or treasonous, in my opinion."

I don't want to debate monetary policy, except to say that it seems entirely plausible that the Fed will indeed increase the money supply sometime in the fifteen months. I do want to debate Perry's rhetoric.

Perry's words are clearly part of his populist, anti-Washington appeal, which has served him well in Texas. I think it will continue to help him with the politically active conservative Republicans that he's currently wooing. I think it will be awful for him in the general election.

Perry has many obvious strengths. I think his biggest weakness is that he will scare some voters. Quotes like these will do just that. To me, "treat him pretty ugly down in Texas," conjures up images of some violent action. Similar (indeed, more explicit) quotes got Palin in trouble following the Loughner shootings, and I think Perry's words risk being construed in a very negative light, however he intended them.

Perry's choice of target is a little odd as well. Certainly, Bernanke is not popular. However, he is a pro-business Republican originally appointed to his *independent* agency by a Republican President. It's not particularly plausible that he would damage the economy over which he has accepted stewardship in order to help a Democratic President against a pro-business Republican challenger.

If I were Perry, I would cool it on the angry words and run on my record. Perry has a record of job creation and solid conservativism nearly perfectly in line with the average Republican primary voter. He can capture the nomination as a jobs candidate rather than as a flamethrower and be better positioned to get to the White House.

First it was Newt Gingrich at the GOP debate, and now Rick Perry. Ron Paul has been calling for an audit of the fed and an end to the fed for as long as I remember.

Do some back tracking and find any reference of these two making any statement like this before and you will find that you can't. They know Ron Paul's message is being heard loud and clear by the American people and are scared of Ron Paul winning. So, they use the exact message Paul has been using to further their political careers.

Why isn't the media calling these two nuts? Isn't that what they have been doing to Ron Paul?

Ron Paul will actually do it, these two will forget they even made these statements the second they take office if they win.

'treat him ugly" is violent? HAHAHAHAHA idiots that thinks that has never been to Texas!!

There wasn't a damn thing Perry said that wasn't true.

Perry calls it "stimulus" but it's actually "Quantitative Easing" otherwise known as "Printing Money".

Yeah he talks tough during the campaign, just like Obama did, but if he gets elected he'll change his tune.

Perry calls it "stimulus" but it's actually "Quantitative Easing" otherwise known as "Printing Money".

Yeah he talks tough during the campaign, just like Obama did, but if he gets elected he'll change his tune.

The more dollars you print the less the dollar is worth. Only an idiot would think that printing more money is the answer.

Obama didn't use anti-Washinton rhetoric AT ALL prior to 2009.

Treasonous huh?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5xTxcFA398]Rick Perry / Austin Tea Party ::: On Secession and "Right Wing Extremism" - YouTube[/ame]

That's something Perry knows all about. :lol:

Yup, that's just what Republicans need to do, listen to what "LadyLiberal" has to say for advice.

As if you leftists are ever going to vote against Obama, even knowing full well how much he has fucked up and how much his (and your) policies don't work.

Paul Krugman said it best. The big thing about Perry's idiotic comments is that he seems to think that Bernanke, a Bush appointee, will play politics to help Obama, a Democrat, get elected.

The Tea Party seems to honestly think you are either with them, or you are the enemy.

Paul Krugman said it best. The big thing about Perry's idiotic comments is that he seems to think that Bernanke, a Bush appointee, will play politics to help Obama, a Democrat, get elected.

The Tea Party seems to honestly think you are either with them, or you are the enemy.

So now Krugman knows what Perry is thinking?

The Amazing Krugman!!

Forum List

Back