Penn State: Removing 9 ft statue of beloved coach.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Crews are at this moment removing a 9 ft statue of Joe Paterno commemorating a lifetime of football. Reports have also been made that they have also removed plaques along the walls of the stadium.
They are basically wiping his existence from the university.

I haven't seen the evidence but from the way they are acting it is like Paterno raped those boys.

I don't disagree with what they are doing. It is sad that a man's life-long work is being erased from the program that he built from scratch.
However - he admitted to knowing his assistant was molesting children...and kept him on because he did good work. That was a H_U_G_E moral mistake that cannot be ignored. Unforgivable.

The football program became larger than the university. I can understand that as a Crimson Tide fan but Coach Paterno was untouchable and has to be held accountable for the crimes that were committed, even after his death. Sandusky was allowed to retire with benefits rather than drag the FB program through the mud. He was allowed though to keep an office in the football complex and do his dirty deeds. The NCAA must do an investigation and impose penalties of some sort.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. Huge mistake by Penn State!
2. All this witch hunting over one guy???
3. This hole story sounds like those who were molested were two year olds!
4. Do they have two year old at Penn State???
5. Joe didn't do this, leave him alone!!!!!
6. The guy was a legend to college ball, why do they have to throw him into the ditch???
7. Removing Joe's statue is stupid!!!
7. LINK:Joe Paterno statue removed from outside Penn State University's Beaver Stadium - ESPN

"The Joe Paterno statue was removed Sunday morning from its pedestal outside Beaver Stadium, and it will be stored in an unnamed "secure location," Penn State president Rodney Erickson announced. Erickson also said the Paterno name will remain on the university's library."

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Yup. He forgot why he was really there. He bought into the great god of hype, alumnus back slapping and the like.......at the end of the day you are employed by a school for....the kids, students etc.......he betrayed them.

Sorry bout that,

1. Huge mistake by Penn State!
2. All this witch hunting over one guy???
3. This hole story sounds like those who were molested were two year olds!
4. Do they have two year old at Penn State???
5. Joe didn't do this, leave him alone!!!!!
6. The guy was a legend to college ball, why do they have to throw him into the ditch???
7. Removing Joe's statue is stupid!!!
7. LINK:Joe Paterno statue removed from outside Penn State University's Beaver Stadium - ESPN

"The Joe Paterno statue was removed Sunday morning from its pedestal outside Beaver Stadium, and it will be stored in an unnamed "secure location," Penn State president Rodney Erickson announced. Erickson also said the Paterno name will remain on the university's library."

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Yes he did do something. He received information in 1998 and again in 2001 that Sandusky was molesting young boys and he did nothing to inform the proper authorities.

Paterno may not have touched any of those boys, but by his inaction he allowed Sandusky to continued. He is responsible for every boy molested after 2001.

I have always been a JoePa fan, until this came out.

Yup. He forgot why he was really there. He bought into the great god of hype, alumnus back slapping and the like.......at the end of the day you are employed by a school for....the kids, students etc.......he betrayed them.

Political interests

Paterno was a political conservative and a personal friend of former President George H. W. Bush, endorsing the then-candidate in a speech at the 1988 Republican National Convention.[85] Paterno was also a close personal friend of President Gerald R. Ford.[90] In 2004, his son Scott Paterno, an attorney, won the Republican primary for Pennsylvania's 17th congressional district but lost in the November general election to Democratic incumbent Tim Holden.[91]

"I brought my kids up to think for themselves since day one," Joe Paterno said in 2008. "I got a son who's a Republican, who ran for Congress, Scott. I'm a Republican. I've got a son, Jay, who's for Obama. I've got a daughter, who I'm pretty sure she's going to be for Hillary. So God bless America."[92]

As a former University of Washington Husky and Husky fan, I remember another uber-Republican coach that shirked his duty when the going got tough.

Don James like Joe Paterno accepted the praise and accolades that come with being a winning football coach for a major university. Like "JoPa", the "DawgFather" was the highest paid government employee in his state but-----but when the going got tough, when they could have and should have stepped up and taken responsibility for the shortcomings in their management of entities larger than most companies/corporations, these two heralded coaches/CEO's chose to pull the wool over their own eyes.

The easy thing for us as fans to do is step back and say something like "but they did a lot of good for the athletes, communities, universities, etc" but the lack of character they showed at the end of their careers would indicate to me that if they would ignore/cover up criminal behavior, what else were they doing for years and years that they didn't get busted for.

When a guy I played ball with, a high school football coach, overheard his players talking about a beer kegger they had attended, my friend suspended 24 players, effectively ending what may very well have been a state championship season, i.e. the pinnacle for a high school football coach-----that's the kind of character coaches like JoPa and DawgFather could have/should have shown but-----but chose applause, accolades and attaboys over responsibility.

IMO - coaches like JoPa and DawgFather would have chosen to take a run at the Washington State championship over teaching his students the lesson in responsible student/athlete citizenship my teammate chose to teach his students.

Political interests

Paterno was a political conservative and a personal friend of former President George H. W. Bush, endorsing the then-candidate in a speech at the 1988 Republican National Convention.[85] Paterno was also a close personal friend of President Gerald R. Ford.[90] In 2004, his son Scott Paterno, an attorney, won the Republican primary for Pennsylvania's 17th congressional district but lost in the November general election to Democratic incumbent Tim Holden.[91]

"I brought my kids up to think for themselves since day one," Joe Paterno said in 2008. "I got a son who's a Republican, who ran for Congress, Scott. I'm a Republican. I've got a son, Jay, who's for Obama. I've got a daughter, who I'm pretty sure she's going to be for Hillary. So God bless America."[92]

As a former University of Washington Husky and Husky fan, I remember another uber-Republican coach that shirked his duty when the going got tough.

Don James like Joe Paterno accepted the praise and accolades that come with being a winning football coach for a major university. Like "JoPa", the "DawgFather" was the highest paid government employee in his state but-----but when the going got tough, when they could have and should have stepped up and taken responsibility for the shortcomings in their management of entities larger than most companies/corporations, these two heralded coaches/CEO's chose to pull the wool over their own eyes.

The easy thing for us as fans to do is step back and say something like "but they did a lot of good for the athletes, communities, universities, etc" but the lack of character they showed at the end of their careers would indicate to me that if they would ignore/cover up criminal behavior, what else were they doing for years and years that they didn't get busted for.

When a guy I played ball with, a high school football coach, overheard his players talking about a beer kegger they had attended, my friend suspended 24 players, effectively ending what may very well have been a state championship season, i.e. the pinnacle for a high school football coach-----that's the kind of character coaches like JoPa and DawgFather could have/should have shown but-----but chose applause, accolades and attaboys over responsibility.

IMO - coaches like JoPa and DawgFather would have chosen to take a run at the Washington State championship over teaching his students the lesson in responsible student/athlete citizenship my teammate chose to teach his students.

so hes and con and .....what?how does that address what I said?

*Joe Paterno's Statue: Removed: He Wasn't The Pervert!*

That the OP is clueless as to why is unsurprising.

This also goes to the problematic nature of ‘living institutions,’ where someone is perceived by both himself and the public as ‘indispensable’ to a given program that his retirement or departure is unthinkable.

I haven't seen the evidence but from the way they are acting it is like Paterno raped those boys.
goggle "complicit"

from what I read, he was unofficially above the professorial staff. He was untouchable/beyond reproach because of revenue. Schools glorified sports to bring in revenue then the sports programs took over. This really needs to be thoroughly examined but I suspect nothing big will happen within the NCAA because the $ is too big.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. Perhaps we all are guilty for other peoples sins then?
2. Your evil guilt washes over to me, and mine to yours.
3. Hummm,......

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

*Joe Paterno's Statue: Removed: He Wasn't The Pervert!*

That the OP is clueless as to why is unsurprising.

This also goes to the problematic nature of ‘living institutions,’ where someone is perceived by both himself and the public as ‘indispensable’ to a given program that his retirement or departure is unthinkable.

Cheesewarsnow demonstrates exactly why this sort of shit is allowed to continue.

Sorry bout that,

1. At the time of WWII, I am sure that most of Europe knew what was going on and didn't do anything to stop it.
2. Should those people be put to death or jailed?
3. Everyday evil happens and people don't do the right thing, is this a world where the guilt of evil deeds covers all un-involved?
4. This sort of thought is rather dangerous.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. Some one knew about *The Joker*, and did nothing, should that person be put in jail as well?
2. You can bet some one real close to him knew something.
3. Maybe even be put to death with *The Joker*?
4. What if it was his mother who knew?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. At the time of WWII, I am sure that most of Europe knew what was going on and didn't do anything to stop it.
2. Should those people be put to death or jailed?
3. Everyday evil happens and people don't do the right thing, is this a world where the guilt of evil deeds covers all un-involved?
SirJamesofTexas

Interesting how incredibly ignorant you are about so many things.

Sorry bout that,

1. Everybody has to take responsibility of their own evils.
2. Joe didn't do anything, he coached a team and rather well.
3. His name shouldn't be the one being dragged through the mud, its unfair.
4. His memory should be of a winner, and leader of men who win.
5. Instead his name is being turned into mud.
6. Its not right.
7. If he were a murderer or the pervert, then that would be different.
8. Just because he may have known something or suspected something, doesn't make him the *bad guy*.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:

Forum List

Back