Penises on Prime Time Programming TruTV

The FCC has a function to regulate airwaves. Those go through cable lines too.

Psst airwaves do not go through cable lines.

Airwaves are transmitted - duh - through the air.

Cable transmission is through a solid medium or for fiber optic cable light waves through an optical cable. Neither involve airwaves.

.>>>>

Here's their website.

truTV | Funny Because it's tru

Show me any mention of 'family friendly'.
Ah, you're referring to rebranding...

TV Land “Rebrands” to Raunchy | Parents Television Council
“Rebranding” has become a time-honored, if utterly dishonest and fraudulent, practice in the pay-TV world. Most pay networks start out with a clear “mission statement,” and a base of viewers interested in that mission. Like history? Watch The History Channel. Science-fiction? The Syfy Channel. But all too often, the huge mega-conglomerates that own 90% of the networks on satellite and cable think they’ll attract more viewers, or get more ad revenue, by watering down these networks’ content – or even eliminating the networks themselves, and putting something else, something nobody wanted, in their place…all while still forcing subscribers to pay for it.

Aren’t you glad you’re paying for all this?...And you are. Every network on basic cable gets a slice of your monthly subscription bill. True, it may only be 12¢ a month per channel. Over the course of a year, that’s $1.50, still not a lot; but multiply that amount by the 100 million+ cable and satellite subscribers in America. The entertainment industry is making over $150 million a year – PER CHANNEL! – on channels nobody asked for and nobody wants....“Rebranding” is the ultimate scam, forced on pay-TV subscribers through the extortion of the entertainment industry’s cable and satellite “bundling” scheme. As a result, customers are forced to endure, time after time, the bait-and-switch of conglomerate-owned basic cable networks… all while the customer is forced to pay every month while the networks go through increasingly nonsensical metamorphoses.

In TruTV's case, they design shows to lure in child viewers at first, then interweave sexualized content. Even within episodes of Impractical Jokers, I've seen the cast discuss how the show is supposed to be "family friendly". Just like the network holds itself out with brightly-lit "curiosity" shows intended to lure young viewers. "Hack My Life" has so many sexualized references, it is itself like a giant innuendo in script. Nearly every bit has some sexualized reference. Yet it is a show for the curious, always featuring very bright colored sets (that kids love) that shows "neat tricks on how to fix stuff", also a pitch aimed at kids' natural curiosity.

Here's their website.

truTV | Funny Because it's tru

Show me any mention of 'family friendly'.
Ah, you're referring to rebranding...

TV Land “Rebrands” to Raunchy | Parents Television Council
“Rebranding” has become a time-honored, if utterly dishonest and fraudulent, practice in the pay-TV world. Most pay networks start out with a clear “mission statement,” and a base of viewers interested in that mission. Like history? Watch The History Channel. Science-fiction? The Syfy Channel. But all too often, the huge mega-conglomerates that own 90% of the networks on satellite and cable think they’ll attract more viewers, or get more ad revenue, by watering down these networks’ content – or even eliminating the networks themselves, and putting something else, something nobody wanted, in their place…all while still forcing subscribers to pay for it.

Aren’t you glad you’re paying for all this?...And you are. Every network on basic cable gets a slice of your monthly subscription bill. True, it may only be 12¢ a month per channel. Over the course of a year, that’s $1.50, still not a lot; but multiply that amount by the 100 million+ cable and satellite subscribers in America. The entertainment industry is making over $150 million a year – PER CHANNEL! – on channels nobody asked for and nobody wants....“Rebranding” is the ultimate scam, forced on pay-TV subscribers through the extortion of the entertainment industry’s cable and satellite “bundling” scheme. As a result, customers are forced to endure, time after time, the bait-and-switch of conglomerate-owned basic cable networks… all while the customer is forced to pay every month while the networks go through increasingly nonsensical metamorphoses.

In TruTV's case, they design shows to lure in child viewers at first, then interweave sexualized content. Even within episodes of Impractical Jokers, I've seen the cast discuss how the show is supposed to be "family friendly". Just like the network holds itself out with brightly-lit "curiosity" shows intended to lure young viewers. "Hack My Life" has so many sexualized references, it is itself like a giant innuendo in script. Nearly every bit has some sexualized reference. Yet it is a show for the curious, always featuring very bright colored sets (that kids love) that shows "neat tricks on how to fix stuff", also a pitch aimed at kids' natural curiosity.

And by 'rebranding', you mean that you can't find a thing to support your imagination that Tru-TV promoted itself as 'family friendly'.

Yeah, somehow I think the FCC is going to be far less than compelled to make Tru-TV follow your imagination. As Tru-TV promotes itself as a comedy channel. Without a single kids show in their entire line up.

With its tagline literally being 'Its Funny Because its Tru."

Take some personal responsibility, SIl rather than insisting that FCC enforce your imagination.

That's what TV ratings are for. Impractical Jokers is clearly rated TV-14.

Just stop ignoring the rating and replacing it with your imagination.

OK, now I'll try to stop ignoring the fact that even 14 year olds have no business being exposed to erect penises and that most of TruTV's programming has curiosity-themes (Hack My Life, Carbanero Effect) with brightly colored sets meant to lure in children viewers, interwoven with shows pitched to 14 year olds featuring erect penises, all for viewing at 4pm during family prime time viewing.

You wouldn't object to the FCC requiring TruTV to blatantly show a huge banner at the start of each program saying "THIS SHOW IS NOT INTENDED FOR FAMILY VIEWING"? That would settle the issue right there. Yes? Surely when erect penis viewing threatens child viewers, that compromise would be the least to expect as to truth in advertising?

OK, now I'll try to stop ignoring the fact that even 14 year olds have no business being exposed to erect penises and that most of TruTV's programming has curiosity-themes (Hack My Life, Carbanero Effect) with brightly colored sets meant to lure in children viewers, interwoven with shows pitched to 14 year olds featuring erect penises, all for viewing at 4pm during family prime time viewing.

And by 'facts' you mean your imagination. As you can show us nothing of Tru-TV promoting itself as 'family friendly'.

The facts are....that Tru-TV promotes itself as a comedy channel. With the tag line 'Its Funny Because its Tru', promoting a "Comedy Knock Out" and "Jokers" and "truTV's Top Funniest'.

Without a single mention of 'family friendly' or a single kids show in its entire line up.

The FCC isn't going to enforce your imagination, Sil. Sorry.
You wouldn't object to the FCC requiring TruTV to blatantly show a huge banner at the start of each program saying "THIS SHOW IS NOT INTENDED FOR FAMILY VIEWING"? That would settle the issue right there. Yes?

They already notify you of who the show is for with their TV-14 rating. Its right there, as the show starts.

Tru-TV.jpg

The Marathon Man | Impractical Jokers Full Episodes | truTV

Just stop ignoring it.

You wouldn't object to the FCC requiring TruTV to blatantly show a huge banner at the start of each program saying "THIS SHOW IS NOT INTENDED FOR FAMILY VIEWING"? That would settle the issue right there. Yes? Surely when erect penis viewing threatens child viewers, that compromise would be the least to expect as to truth in advertising?

Do you honestly think that in this day and age that most, if not all 14 year olds haven't already see an erect penis? Heck, I'd be willing to bet that all 14 year males have seen one.....their own! They can see this and much more on the internet, so you have your head in the sand.

Last edited:
Do you honestly think that in this day and age that most, if not all 14 year olds haven't already see an erect penis? Heck, I'd be willing to bet that all 14 year males have seen one.....their own! They can see this and much more on the internet, so you have your head in the sand.

They've probably all seen a picture or actual syringe filled with heroin too. What's your point? They've probably all seen kids riding skateboards or bikes without helmets. Etc.

Do you see the fallacy in your argument?

tru-tv-jpg.215159

"Graphic STUPIDITY".... that's the lure for kids. Kids love seeing stupid stunts. It's what they do they themselves do best.

Note it does not say graphic "vulgarity" or "sexualized content".....those warnings should be there.

They've probably all seen a picture or actual syringe filled with heroin too. What's your point? They've probably all seen kids riding skateboards or bikes without helmets. Etc.

Do you see the fallacy in your argument?

In terms of child endangerment.....a picture of a fake penis on a cable show rated TV-14 is hardly an "actual syringe filled with heroin."

Do you see the fallacy of your analogy? Its called the 'false equivalency fallacy' for a reason.

tru-tv-jpg.215159

"Graphic STUPIDITY".... that's the lure for kids. Kids love seeing stupid stunts. It's what they do they themselves do best.

Says you, citing your imagination. Just like you imagined that the network is promoted as 'family friendly'. And bizarrely ignored the TV-14 rating and the giant WARNING sign written across the front of the screen.

Again, Sil....the FCC isn't going to enforce your imagination. Or your willful ignorance.

Take some personal responsibility and stop ignoring the ratings on these shows.

Take some personal responsibility and stop ignoring the ratings on these shows.

One has to wonder if it's not about taking...

#1 Personal responsibility to change the channel when there are clearly Content Warnings at the beginning of a show, or

#2 Opening the freaking user guide for your cable box/TV and activating parental controls to either (a) block a channel, (b) block a shows with certain ratings, or (c) activate parental passcodes to select channel/ratings for viewing.

It's not about controlling what is displayed on your TV, it's about controlling what others can view on their TV. I can control what's on my set, now I want to control what is on yours.

.>>>>

Are you black because if you are, you're a disgrace to your race. Or, you're vying for a position as a house slave in the master's big house.
I'm white and have more respect for the blacks than I've ever seen from you here.

Ok I love the show “Impractical jokers”, pitched as a family show. It often involves kid actors & children subjects in jokes. I notice though that more and more sexualized “jokes” are being woven into the format. Bawdy guys are one thing, but there’s an element in the background that’s being written in that the jokers are becoming uncomfortable with.

Anyway, today in I think it was the 4 o’clock hour PST, exactly when most kids are flopped on the couch after school, TruTV was airing their game show to forgive student debt. One of the categories was “dicks over dictators”. The category showed illustrated erect penises & testicles superimposed over various dictators faces that contestants tried to guess. The host was talking about schlongs & whangers as the images shown on the screen.

So, kids tuning in at the peak hour for their viewing, hoping to find the very popular show Impractical Jokers, instead found brazen adult content masked as “a fun game show”.

Does the FCC even function anymore? It’s under the control of the current administration. I wonder if the conservatives realized that the game show interweaves itself with the very popular Impractical Jokers so that it can glean more gimme-freebie votes (forgive student debt) from IJ viewers, if they might have a stern talk or sanctions for Tru TV’s prime time kid/family hour sexualized content?

TruTV is constantly trying to interweave sexualized or adult content into shows or programming time slots where kids are sure to be drawn in. I think it’s time the FCC had a talk with them.

Your thoughts?
TruTV is a subscription based company and therefore not subject to those FCC rules. They could show naked people if they wanted.

Ok I love the show “Impractical jokers”, pitched as a family show. It often involves kid actors & children subjects in jokes. I notice though that more and more sexualized “jokes” are being woven into the format. Bawdy guys are one thing, but there’s an element in the background that’s being written in that the jokers are becoming uncomfortable with.

Anyway, today in I think it was the 4 o’clock hour PST, exactly when most kids are flopped on the couch after school, TruTV was airing their game show to forgive student debt. One of the categories was “dicks over dictators”. The category showed illustrated erect penises & testicles superimposed over various dictators faces that contestants tried to guess. The host was talking about schlongs & whangers as the images shown on the screen.

So, kids tuning in at the peak hour for their viewing, hoping to find the very popular show Impractical Jokers, instead found brazen adult content masked as “a fun game show”.

Does the FCC even function anymore? It’s under the control of the current administration. I wonder if the conservatives realized that the game show interweaves itself with the very popular Impractical Jokers so that it can glean more gimme-freebie votes (forgive student debt) from IJ viewers, if they might have a stern talk or sanctions for Tru TV’s prime time kid/family hour sexualized content?

TruTV is constantly trying to interweave sexualized or adult content into shows or programming time slots where kids are sure to be drawn in. I think it’s time the FCC had a talk with them.

Your thoughts?

FCC hotline number
The customer support phone number of FCC is 1-888-225-5322 / 202-418-0500 / 1-888-835-5322 (Click phone number to call).

Do you really think the FCC will shut it down lmfao, you guys really don't get it do you . .........

if it wasn't FCC approced it wouldn't be on TV. , lmao
They arent beholdened to the FCC.

TruTV is a subscription based company and therefore not subject to those FCC rules. They could show naked people if they wanted.
Not intermixed with family type shows on prime time viewing or unannounced as to explicit content; which is what TruTV is doing right now. You'd better believe they are beholden to regulation under those violations. Especially when offered as part of an all-access cable package where kids can view at latchkey homes. The FCC has to assume for kids’ safety that during prime time; especially in hours like 4pm when parents or other adults with cable that kids have access to aren’t home, that kids will be watching. Protection of children doesn’t start or stop at their family’s threshold.

There are numerous state & federal laws requiring people to act just on the hunch that a child might be harmed. It is not unreasonable to assume that children during prime time would have access to any part of unrestricted cable packages. Especially featuring networks where content is not conspicuously marked; that has curiosity shows with brightly lit & colored sets. These monsters know exactly what they’re doing. They are using every loophole they can to expose little kids to smut. To normalize it to them. Just under parents/other adults’ radar. Just like a pedophile stalks his prey.

Last edited:
Not intermixed with family type shows on prime time viewing or unannounced as to explicit content; which is what TruTV is doing right now. You'd better believe they are beholden to regulation under those violations. Especially when offered as part of an all-access cable package where kids can view at latchkey homes. The FCC has to assume for kids’ safety that during prime time; especially in hours like 4pm when parents or other adults with cable that kids have access to aren’t home, that kids will be watching. Protection of children doesn’t start or stop at their family’s threshold.

There are numerous state & federal laws requiring people to act just on the hunch that a child might be harmed. It is not unreasonable to assume that children during prime time would have access to any part of unrestricted cable packages. Especially featuring networks where content is not conspicuously marked; that has curiosity shows with brightly lit & colored sets. These monsters know exactly what they’re doing. They are using every loophole they can to expose little kids to smut. To normalize it to them. Just under parents/other adults’ radar. Just like a pedophile stalks his prey.
"Cable television, on the other hand, is not bound by FCC rules and can show whatever material their executives consider suitable. With some exceptions, while cable channels that rely on advertising still do not show nudity during prime time, nudity is often shown on premium cable channels such as Showtime, HBO and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). FX is one of the few commercial–dependent cable channels that features nudity in its programming (notably the controversial Nip/Tuck and American Horror Story). SundanceTV will allow nudity. Discovery and other documentary-related channels may show nudity in a journalistic context, such as that of indigenous peoples."

Nudity in American television - Wikipedia

"Cable television, on the other hand, is not bound by FCC rules and can show whatever material their executives consider suitable. With some exceptions, while cable channels that rely on advertising still do not show nudity during prime time, nudity is often shown on premium cable channels such as Showtime, HBO and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). FX is one of the few commercial–dependent cable channels that features nudity in its programming (notably the controversial Nip/Tuck and American Horror Story). SundanceTV will allow nudity. Discovery and other documentary-related channels may show nudity in a journalistic context, such as that of indigenous peoples."

Caveat: "with some exceptions".

That would be in the instance of false or ambiguous or unclear announcement as to content being explicitly adult (such as featuring erect penises) during prime time, intermixed with shows designed to attract the attention of minors, such as curiosity shows like Hack My Life"
or "funny prank" shows like Impractical Jokers or The Carbanero Effect.

So far the artificially-gray dyed hair LGBT kid that now forces his unwanted, unfunny presence on Impractical Jokers outtake shows hasn't shown up on Carbanero Effect. Nor have the writers for IJ been interjecting unnecessary innuendo or outright references to graphic sex in CE, but it's just a matter of time before their operatives figure a way to weave it in there too. It hasn't gotten enough (young) viewers and the host is struggling to make the show popular. TruTV even made the IJ hosts show up on a CE episode to jump start it back to life...,.you know....so they can begin inserting "the new type content".

"Hack My Life" started out relatively benign and interesting. Kids started tuning in. As soon as viewership began to escalate, INSTANTLY every other line of the hosts has sexual connotations or reference. It's to the point where even guys in a locker room bantering would advise one of their own "enough, OK we get it, you're hung up on sex"...

Caveat: "with some exceptions".

That would be in the instance of false or ambiguous or unclear announcement as to content being explicitly adult (such as featuring erect penises) during prime time, intermixed with shows designed to attract the attention of minors, such as curiosity shows like Hack My Life"
or "funny prank" shows like Impractical Jokers or The Carbanero Effect.

So far the artificially-gray dyed hair LGBT kid that now forces his unwanted, unfunny presence on Impractical Jokers outtake shows hasn't shown up on Carbanero Effect. Nor have the writers for IJ been interjecting unnecessary innuendo or outright references to graphic sex in CE, but it's just a matter of time before their operatives figure a way to weave it in there too. It hasn't gotten enough (young) viewers and the host is struggling to make the show popular. TruTV even made the IJ hosts show up on a CE episode to jump start it back to life...,.you know....so they can begin inserting "the new type content".

"Hack My Life" started out relatively benign and interesting. Kids started tuning in. As soon as viewership began to escalate, INSTANTLY every other line of the hosts has sexual connotations or reference. It's to the point where even guys in a locker room bantering would advise one of their own "enough, OK we get it, you're hung up on sex"...
Youre missing the point. The exception is when subscription based cable channels rely on sponsors. They CAN show nudity if they want, but that kind of stuff generally turns off their sponsors, so they dont do it for the sake of profits.

Youre missing the point. The exception is when subscription based cable channels rely on sponsors. They CAN show nudity if they want, but that kind of stuff generally turns off their sponsors, so they dont do it for the sake of profits.

If they showed nudity or other explicit adult content, you'd better believe the FCC wouldn't allow them 1. To not conspicuously warn viewers before each show and especially true if interwoven with kid-appealing shows and 2. To do so on packaged cable deals during prime time viewing for kids after school.

TruTV fucked up on this one. And I'm calling them out on it. I've endured more than I wanted to but waited to see if the problem would resolve itself. It hasn't. It's gotten worse. Their modis operandi seems to be pitching shows to draw in young viewers and then the minute the viewership is there like they want, they immediately start infusing escalating portions of adult content into those shows; normalizing it to young viewers. It isn't a mistake that this pattern is exactly the type of things pedophiles do when grooming children to soften them to the idea of sex at too early of an age, just under the radar of hassled, tired and overworked guardians..

TruTV wants to pitch itself as a network qualifying for open-package family type cable viewing, without explicit warnings, and at the same time be able to show explicit material where (and in this case particularly WHEN) they know kids will be watching.

I quit watching Impractical Jokers and Family Feud as they have both declined in quality and content.

Forum List

Back