Pegging The "Hate" Meter

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
Crimes classified as "hate crimes" are becoming more common, and the question is why? One explanation is obvious racism, terrorists, and the sense of injustice by our judicial system. But, those reasons alone do not explain what we've seen over the past two to three years. Racism, the dislike for terrorists, and the injustice we see and read about, have all been with us for a very long time now. So, what exactly is responsible for the escalation in hate crimes?

Something tells me that racism is now reaching levels not seen in the history of this nation. And, in my opinion, racism is now the "whipping boy" for everything wrong in society. In other words, anger, frustrations, disappointment, poverty, unemployment, and pessimism about the future, are finding racism as an outlet to vent those emotions and social negatives. Also, racism draws media and public attention to other social and economic woes. Racism has become the perfect vehicle to stir people into action, and to put emphasis on what's wrong in society today.

The other side of the coin reveals the emotionally unstable members of society. We have those that want their fifteen minutes of fame, those that want to go out, and want to take as many as possible with them, and those that believe they're fighting for some imaginary gallant cause. For whatever reason(s), society is filled with those hell-bent on making headlines.

I have no solutions, and don't know if anyone does. But, without addressing the issue head-on, and working to solve the problem, it's almost a certainty that things will get a lot worse before they get better.

"Hate crimes" = "thought crimes."

The very idea that one sort of crime is more criminal because of what was on the mind of the perpetrator is simply bizarre. A crime is crime.

Fortunately, we have "Exhibit A" on the top of our newspapers this morning: The gunman who shot down 8 worshippers in the AME church in S. Carolina yesterday. Perhaps we can give him the death penalty TWICE - once for mass murder, and once for his thought crimes.

No, the reason hate crimes seem to be on the rise is because of the language, nothing else. We only label hate crimes according to politically correct guidelines. These crimes have existed for centuries but only had a name recently. And the title isn't given according to the actual motives at all, but simply because of politically correct dogma. For instance black on white crime is never labeled hate crimes but the reverse almost always is.

It's an illusion.

• Banned

The very idea that one sort of crime is more criminal because of what was on the mind of the perpetrator is simply bizarre. A crime is crime.

Fortunately, we have "Exhibit A" on the top of our newspapers this morning: The gunman who shot down 8 worshippers in the AME church in S. Carolina yesterday. Perhaps we can give him the death penalty TWICE - once for mass murder, and once for his thought crimes.
Would you call robbing a bank a hate crime? Would you call stealing a car a hate crime? Would you call running a red light a hate crime? Would you call embezzlement a hate crime? If not, why not?

Sonny, there are many people on both ends of this issue who have a vested interest in keeping the "sides" angry and divided.

There are many more people who are easily led astray and just buy totally into what these people are selling.

I don't know how to fix this. There doesn't seem to be real leadership on either end who will be brave and force their "side" to look in the mirror.

Please remind me what the importance was of coming up with this term, "hate crime". What was accomplished for language, society and/or criminal justice? It must have been important, as it has become so big, but apparently I missed it or have forgotten.
Sorry to bother you.

I am wondering, when they catch him, if it will be a hate crime if he says he shot up the church because it was Christian, not because it was black.

Could it be a hate-hate-hate crime? Christian hate, black hate and gun hate (because he wants to embarrass the gunners).

Please remind me what the importance was of coming up with this term, "hate crime". What was accomplished for language, society and/or criminal justice? It must have been important, as it has become so big, but apparently I missed it or have forgotten.
Sorry to bother you.
To be honest with you, I have no idea as to who started it, or why it came about. I do remember reading that certain punishment(s) were defined and outlined specifically for such crimes. Also, the term "hate crime" gave federal authorities more jurisdiction to intervene in local and state matters. Other than that, I can't answer your question.

I am wondering, when they catch him, if it will be a hate crime if he says he shot up the church because it was Christian, not because it was black.
I have no idea. But, more than likely, the federal authorities will classify it as a hate crime, in my opinion.

I am not positive I have a problem calling some crime hate crimes. In the most recent case I can see no other reason for the willful murder of those poor people.

The problem comes in defining hate. Is it hatred for women that causes a man to murder his wife? I say no. But is it hate for a man to go into a church and murder people because of........ right now we can only guess...whatever was his motive? I would say definitely yes.

Do we need to know there are people out there killing other people for no other reason then hate? I say yes, just like we should never forget the Bataan Death march, the Holocaust, 9/11 or attacks just like what happened.

I have no idea. But, more than likely, the federal authorities will classify it as a hate crime, in my opinion.
It was pretty hateful, that is certain.

With all the pictures on the tv, I am surprised his momma hasn't turned him in.

So the guy in Charleston killed 9 people in cold blood. Assuming the reason was hate, how is the motive worse? Is it that there is another level of punishment you can apply that is higher than the punishment for killing 9 people? The term "hate crime" only exists to further separate us and support the left wing agenda. There can be no other reason for it.

Sorry to bother you.
My understanding of it is that it's a way of getting around double jeopardy. If a white dude murders a black dude but gets found not guilty because the local system is racist, then the Feds can come in and still prosecute the white dude for a hate crime.

So the guy in Charleston killed 9 people in cold blood. Assuming the reason was hate, how is the motive worse? Is it that there is another level of punishment you can apply that is higher than the punishment for killing 9 people? The term "hate crime" only exists to further separate us and support the left wing agenda. There can be no other reason for it.
Isn't it funny how many who think there should be "hate crime penalties" also oppose the death penalty?

I am not positive I have a problem calling some crime hate crimes. In the most recent case I can see no other reason for the willful murder of those poor people.

The problem comes in defining hate. Is it hatred for women that causes a man to murder his wife? I say no. But is it hate for a man to go into a church and murder people because of........ right now we can only guess...whatever was his motive? I would say definitely yes.

Do we need to know there are people out there killing other people for no other reason then hate? I say yes, just like we should never forget the Bataan Death march, the Holocaust, 9/11 or attacks just like what happened.
It's not so much that it's necessary that we know, but very important to understand why. We know that there are mentally unstable members of society. We know that some people carry tremendous hatred in their hearts. We know that some people have no sense of right and wrong. And, we know that some people are on the brink of going postal at any moment.

What we don't know is why. We don't understand the thought process well enough to be mind readers. We can't look at someone standing in the check-out line at the grocery store, and say that he/she is about to go postal and take out 20 innocent people. Our understanding is limited, and observation alone doesn't provide the answers.

Forum List

Back