Paul Ryan, Who Opposed 9/11 1st Responders Bill, Observes Anniversary

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
What a sack of shit

Zadroga Act Opponents, Including Paul Ryan, Observe September 11 Anniversary

WASHINGTON -- The nation's leading Republicans marked the 11th anniversary of 9/11 with the words "never forget" on their lips -- most of those using the occasion to promote legislation -- but nearly all of them opposed the bill passed two years ago to help the first responders who suffered health problems in the wake of the attacks.

Prominent among them was vice presidential nominee, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who voted twice against the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, and opposed the final passage of the bill.

"Eleven years ago today, from Capitol Hill, I could see the smoke rising from the fires burning in the Pentagon. Like all Americans, I will never forget the moment that our homeland came under attack," Ryan said in a statement. "For me, this is a day to remember those who perished on that day of terror, including the first responders."

A spokesman for Ryan, Brendan Buck, insisted that Ryan supports 9/11 responders and pointed to the congressman's votes soon after the attacks in favor of aid for those suffering. He explained Ryan's Dec. 2010 comments on the House floor in opposition to the Zadroga bill by noting that Ryan said he didn't like the bill because he thought it was flawed, was "rushed" onto the floor by Democrats, and created a new mandatory spending program.

Ryan also voted against previous versions of the measure, in September and June of 2010, and the version that ultimately passed the House did so without Ryan's vote. It passed the Senate unanimously after Republicans there extracted numerous concessions, including cutting the fund from $7.4 billion to $4.3 billion and making that money available for only six years.

Senate GOP blocks 9/11 first responders health plan bill

By Alexander Bolton and Jason Millman - 12/09/10 01:14 PM ET

Senate Republicans on Thursday morning filibustered legislation to monitor and treat first responders and emergency workers who suffered illnesses related to 9/11.

A vote to quash the filibuster failed by a vote of 57 to 42, three votes short of the necessary threshold. As a result, the proposal is unlikely to pass this year.

The bill would provide funding for a health program to treat first responders, construction and cleanup workers and residents who inhaled toxic particles after the collapse of the World Trade Center towers.

Remember when the Republican's voted no on the First Responder's Bill?

-------------------------------------------

How many years did these heroes have to wait before they got healthcare? Were Republicans hoping they died so they didn't have to be taken care of?

What a sack of shit

WASHINGTON -- The nation's leading Republicans marked the 11th anniversary of 9/11 with the words "never forget" on their lips -- most of those using the occasion to promote legislation -- but nearly all of them opposed the bill passed two years ago to help the first responders who suffered health problems in the wake of the attacks.

Prominent among them was vice presidential nominee, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who voted twice against the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, and opposed the final passage of the bill.

"Eleven years ago today, from Capitol Hill, I could see the smoke rising from the fires burning in the Pentagon. Like all Americans, I will never forget the moment that our homeland came under attack," Ryan said in a statement. "For me, this is a day to remember those who perished on that day of terror, including the first responders."

A spokesman for Ryan, Brendan Buck, insisted that Ryan supports 9/11 responders and pointed to the congressman's votes soon after the attacks in favor of aid for those suffering. He explained Ryan's Dec. 2010 comments on the House floor in opposition to the Zadroga bill by noting that Ryan said he didn't like the bill because he thought it was flawed, was "rushed" onto the floor by Democrats, and created a new mandatory spending program.

Ryan also voted against previous versions of the measure, in September and June of 2010, and the version that ultimately passed the House did so without Ryan's vote. It passed the Senate unanimously after Republicans there extracted numerous concessions, including cutting the fund from $7.4 billion to $4.3 billion and making that money available for only six years.

So being against wasteful spending and political statement bills means you support terrorism now?

Sorry, but your BS and Lakhota's BS is getting to be a bit boring.

Look at the news. Violence in Cairo and Libya. The real world is beginning to invade your boy Obama's fantasyland, pie-in-sky, horseshit policies.

What a sack of shit

So being against wasteful spending and political statement bills means you support terrorism now?

Sorry, but your BS and Lakhota's BS is getting to be a bit boring.

Nice try at putting words in my mouth. I didn't say, or even imply, that Ryan supports terrorists. I'm simply criticizing him for standing up in front of the American people and attempting to show sympathy for 9/11 first responders and their families, when he voted against bills that would HELP those first responders.

Look at the news. Violence in Cairo and Libya. The real world is beginning to invade your boy Obama's fantasyland, pie-in-sky, horseshit policies.

Deflection noted, MeatGristle, deflection noted.

Forum List

Back