Paul Ryan To Obama: Do Not Continue To "Mischaracterize" Medicare Plan

Written in 2009 about a bill that didn't even become law in the end.

“There is an issue here on the budget because your own actuary has said you can’t double-count,” said Shimkus. “You can’t count — they’re attacking Medicare on the CR when their bill, your law, cut $500 billion from Medicare.”

He continued: “Then you’re also using the same $500 billion to what? Say your funding health care. Your own actuary says you can’t do both. […] What’s the $500 billion in cuts for? Preserving Medicare or funding the health-care law?’

Sebelius’ reply? “Both.”

So you think they oughtta harp about $500 billion in wasteful spending from Medicare Part D going to fund other parts of the healthcare bill, giving more people access to insurance they wouldn't otherwise have? Ok. Worked for the GOP last year; maybe not so much next year.

so you think you ought to admit you were wrong?

Written in 2009 about a bill that didn't even become law in the end.

“There is an issue here on the budget because your own actuary has said you can’t double-count,” said Shimkus. “You can’t count — they’re attacking Medicare on the CR when their bill, your law, cut $500 billion from Medicare.”

He continued: “Then you’re also using the same $500 billion to what? Say your funding health care. Your own actuary says you can’t do both. […] What’s the $500 billion in cuts for? Preserving Medicare or funding the health-care law?’

Sebelius’ reply? “Both.”

So you think they oughtta harp about $500 billion in wasteful spending from Medicare Part D going to fund other parts of the healthcare bill, giving more people access to insurance they wouldn't otherwise have? Ok. Worked for the GOP last year; maybe not so much next year.

so you think you ought to admit you were wrong?

Yup, I'll admit I was wrong in this case.

This is still disingenuous spin, though, and I don't believe the Republicans are going to get away with it a second time.

Forum List

Back