Paul McCartney receives Gershwin Prize, plays hits at White House

Discussion in 'Music' started by Angelhair, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Washington (CNN) -- A long and winding road brought Sir Paul McCartney to the White House on Wednesday, where he was honored by the president of the United States and performed some of the most famous songs from his catalogue with the Beatles and after.

President Barack Obama awarded McCartney the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song and then, along with a little help from some of his friends, such as Stevie Wonder, Faith Hill, Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris and others, McCartney rocked the East Room of the White House.

Obama noted McCartney had been involved in writing more than 200 songs that had made the charts of bestsellers, and his songs had stayed on those charts for a cumulative total of over 32 years. McCartney shook his head in wonder at that fact.

"Nearly half a century since four lads from Liverpool first landed on our shores and changed everything overnight," Obama said, noting that the bass McCartney played Wednesday was the same one from when the Beatles performed on TV's Ed Sullivan Show in the 1960s.

The Gershwin Prize, America's highest award for popular music, was bestowed on behalf of a grateful nation, "grateful that a young Englishman shared his dream with us," Obama said.

Paul McCartney receives Gershwin Prize, plays hits at White House - CNN.com

2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,077
    The fucking government has more important things to do than kiss the asses of entertainers and athletes

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Excuse me while I gag and puke.

After the comments from McCartney over the past few days, I'm all set with him and just about every other celebrity.

4. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,782
    If there were any doubt about McCartney's current music career, with this performance, he has officially jumped the shark.

5. Weezerfan

Weezerfan Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It was a great honor for McCartney. I don't feel he's jumped the shark just because he is being honored.