Pass this Bill!!

The bill is called the American Job Act and it is scheduled to be introduced in the House next week.

Gee, Flopper...is it just me, or was the time to introduce the bill during the Joint Session of Congress in which Obama wasted everyone's time by repeating 15 times that we needed to pass a bill IMMEDIATELY that nobody's seen yet, with the cost "paid for" by spending cuts the specifics of which nobody's seen either?

Look if you're going to call the Congress into a Joint Session and get major network coverage for a speech on a "plan"...don't you think it would make sense to actually PRESENT the plan? If you can't then why the heck bother to convene the Joint Session in the first place? That was nothing but a stump speech...you admitted as much in your post. You want to talk about being disrespectful of a venue? Giving THAT speech was disrespectful to both Congress and the American people.
Disrespected Congress? They've done that all by themselves, but that's not the point. The president was not introducing a bill to Congress. Only members of Congress can do that. The president outlined in general terms his proposal for dealing with the problem. This is what presidents have done many times in the past prior to the introduction of major legislation.

Typically when an administration proposes major legislation, the president will present a case to congress or the nation in very general terms outlining the key points, often laced with fiery rhetoric. The Whitehouse then follows the speech with more details. The bill, which contains the details is introduced by a member of congress. If it's a bill with significant cost, Congress ask the CBO to determine the cost.

What makes this legislation a bit unique is that all sides know in advance the legislation has no chance of passing. Just like the bill the House passed to repeal the Healthcare law, it's a politically statement to be used in the upcoming election. Obama will accuse the Republicans of standing in the way of unemployment reduction and having no plan, which they don't.

I believe the House will eventually past some part of the bill probably the tax incentives for business. Of course it will be too late next year for it to reduce unemployment before the election.

So you're admitting that Obama called a Joint Session of Congress for nothing more than a campaign stump speech? And that the "bill" that he proposed was DESIGNED to be something the Republicans would never vote for? So why did we just get put through all the buildup and hype to what is in essence a "non event"? If this was the jobs plan that Obama had in mind all along it's obvious that he's been misleading the country. He never HAD a plan to lower unemployment. What he had was a plan to try and keep HIS job by painting the Republicans as "obstructionists". How would you feel about what's happening right now if YOU were one of the people who was out of work and quickly running out of money to support yourself? Then tell me why you want this guy in office for four more years? He's not fixing anything. He's playing political games while people suffer.

A distillation (after eliminating all the ums, errs, ahs, duh's, etc..) of Obama's campaign speech to the joint session of congress. I think he really wants Congress to pass the jobs bill.....:lol::lol:(it's worth the click- it's only 45 seconds)

In Obama's Jobs Speech, How Many Times Did He Say 'Pass the Bill'? -- VIDEO - Theresa Poulson - NationalJournal.com

Putting this in perspective, what this president is attempting to do is unprecedented. Calling a joint session of Congress and simply demand they pass a bill that will solve all the woes of the country, all of them, and not cost a dime. Why wouldn't they pass it, it's F-ing free :eusa_eh:

And the kicker is there is no bill that anyone has read. And they need to pass it ASAP, no time to debate this. We'll read after they vote, we have no time to wait. It would be racist not to pass this, did I mention it's free? :lol:

It wont cost a dime, all you have to do is Raise Taxes on the Rich, Businesses and raise the Capital Gains taxes for me to pay for it. After I write it of course.

The so called jobs bill will do nothing to create jobs

The Obama Jobs Plan: 10 Reasons Why It Is A Bad Joke

But if American workers go out and spend it on stuff made in China, how does that create more jobs for American workers?

Because there are more jobs than simply manufacturing. American workers spending money on stuff made in China increases import jobs and retail jobs.

All efforts to do that have been met with quite a bit of Republican opposition in the past (anti-free trade, protectionism, etc.). The point of this bill was to propose things that have gotten bi-partisan support in the past.

The corporate tax rate needs to be lowered (and simplified), but that's not going to create jobs in the short term because corporations aren't suffering at the moment. The reason they're not hiring has nothing to do with a lack of cash, it's a belief the economy will tank.

The trade deficit cannot be eliminated through protectionism, nor through acts of Congress. It has to be through coordinated efforts between the exporter and importer nations. The G20 has made some attempts at this and further negotiation could make this work. The idea is to make it so no nation has more than a 5% trade surplus or deficit, but exempting resources (i.e. Saudi Arabia and Russia). So, Germany and China would have to reduce their trade surpluses and the U.S. would have to reduce it's trade deficit.

The Obama jobs plan does nothing about the gigantic mountains of ridiculous regulations that are absolutely killing small business in this country.

He did mention it in the speech. He said he found some to cut. Hopefully this continues and I think Obama will be receptive to some of the Republican ideas on this. However, you can't have stupid ideas like, "every new regulation has to be matched with a regulation cut."

The U.S. national debt has increased by more than 4 trillion dollars since Barack Obama took office. It is currently increasing by more than 2 million dollars per minute.

The primary reason for the deficit is the recession. Most of the rest of Obama's newly added debt has been from things that were already in place before he entered office. I wonder if the $4 trillion includes the 2009 Bush budget as most people do.

Some of the Idea's in the Bill are indeed Bi-Partisan. However Obama's "recommendation" is that it be paid for mainly with future Increased Taxes on the Rich, and he eluded to Capital Gains with the Buffet and his Secretary comment. That is certainly not a Bi-Partisan Idea.

I doubt the 60 Billion dollar Teachers Union Give away is A Bi-partisan Idea Either.

The house should take his bill, Re-write it with out that BS, and send it to the President. See if he is really willing to compromise.

Oh no! He wants that bill passed badly but if he can't get it passed, he wants to make sure the American people know who's responsible.

Economist correctly predicted that the 1st stimulus bill was not large enough to generate a robust recovery. The first bill kept the country out a depression. This bill will trigger a robust recovery, but not to worry Republicans are not going to let that happen. I suspect that will be the message that will form a large part of the Obama campaign.

Oh no! He wants that bill passed badly but if he can't get it passed, he wants to make sure the American people know who's responsible.

Economist correctly predicted that the 1st stimulus bill was not large enough to generate a robust recovery. The first bill kept the country out a depression. This bill will trigger a robust recovery, but not to worry Republicans are not going to let that happen. I suspect that will be the message that will form a large part of the Obama campaign.

So what if 20 years of stimulus hasn't worked in Japan? So what if we tried this same tactic with "shovel ready" and "Stimulus"? So what if these inane tactics have never worked anywhere, ever?

"It's different this time!". The Obama came down from the mountain, he spoke to the unwashed and filthy masses. His words were like magic! Suddenly, the rising waters receded, the dark skies opened, and the wounded economy healed! He is the Obamessiah!! Can I get an Amen!!

b-obamessiah-the-nose-on-your-face-.jpg

Good luck selling that tripe...........

Well of course Obama "wants" Stimulus II to pass but you just got finished saying that he KNOWS it doesn't have a prayer of "being" passed. So this is all about placing blame instead of fixing problems? Is that all this President has left?

Why would Stimulus II trigger a robust recovery when Stimulus I didn't and Stimulus I was twice the size? I'm sorry, Flopper but what you're saying makes no sense at all. We already know that Stimulus II isn't going to work because we tried the EXACT same thing two years ago. Why would any rational person vote to waste another half a trillion dollars of borrowed money on policy that's been proven to be a failure when we tried it with a whole trillion? I assume when THAT doesn't work you'll be right back here saying the problem was that the stimulus wasn't big enough? Again? In the meantime we put ourselves further at risk for another credit rating downgrade. S&P had already warned that it had doubts as to whether the 1.5 billion in cuts promised in the debt ceiling compromise would actually be carried out. Now you want to add another half a trillion to that total that we need to cut from government spending? Good luck on that!

I counted 15 am I right?

BTW dis you notice what an angry strident speaker he was in this lecture?

You're damn right he's angry! He sees his reign ending, and the perks of the job end too....:lol:

Maybe..if you all had a reasonable candidate. With Perry in the lead it shows how pitiful you all are.

I never cease to get a chuckle out of this argument. Yo, Einstein. You've got the biggest moron of them all, residing in the WH.

Next November is going to be so sweet. I'm betting not a single one of you dumbasses shows up for a week, after the election.

Mmmmm...Kool-Aid...

And still no GOP plan that has a proven record of success, yet out come the lame ideas that are proven to have failed.
One would think that somebody would come up with a sure-fire winner but until the business community decides to help the country where these companies were given the opportunity to flourish, nothing is going to happen with the US economy.

So, as far as creating jobs, what exactly is the GOP solution?
An earlier post of mine clearly showed that cutting taxes, cutting/eliminating Capital Gains didn't work during the last decade. All that resulted from that was large profits, great dividends and capital gains, with virtually no job creation, except overseas.
So what new approach?

The approach that we should be taking is getting government out of the way of the Private Sector and let them do what they do best...invest, hire and grow the economy.

For investment, things have been great for the investor, yet corporations are sitting on trillions of dollars, investing and hiring overseas. Recently, the US dropped to 5th as far as being competitive. The reasons were such as rising government debt and declining public faith in political leaders and corporate ethics. Considering corporate ethics was one of the three reasons for the US dropping down to 5th, is it really a good idea to give them even more rope?
US drops in ranking of most competitive of world economies - Boston.com

Allow the untaxed repatriation of overseas funds in return for that capital being invested either in hiring new employees or buying new equipment.

As noted in my previous statement, Corporate America is already sitting on trillions in capital and have no interest in investing in America. I guess until the US worker accepts Third World Wages, this will be the trend.

Allow the oil industry to drill again.

And they should go back to capped wells that already have rich oil just sitting there.

A moratorium on new regulations for the next two years.

Tort reform to lower the cost of health care.

Tort reform would lower the cost of health care by less than 2%

Take away the ability of the EPA to enforce new standards without getting Congressional approval.

And the best thing about all those ideas? They won't cost a single thin dime, let alone a half a trillion dollars but will create REAL long term employment.

Our infrastructure needs trillions of dollars in repairs, it has been underfunded for decades. With all the needed repairs, it will take decades to catch up, nothing short-term there. A growing trend worldwide is private investment in infrastructure, in other words the privatization of this country's infrastructure. It's a win-win. Less tax dollars and long-term employment.

So, as far as creating jobs, what exactly is the GOP solution?
An earlier post of mine clearly showed that cutting taxes, cutting/eliminating Capital Gains didn't work during the last decade. All that resulted from that was large profits, great dividends and capital gains, with virtually no job creation, except overseas.
So what new approach?

The approach that we should be taking is getting government out of the way of the Private Sector and let them do what they do best...invest, hire and grow the economy.

For investment, things have been great for the investor, yet corporations are sitting on trillions of dollars, investing and hiring overseas. Recently, the US dropped to 5th as far as being competitive. The reasons were such as rising government debt and declining public faith in political leaders and corporate ethics. Considering corporate ethics was one of the three reasons for the US dropping down to 5th, is it really a good idea to give them even more rope?

Allow the untaxed repatriation of overseas funds in return for that capital being invested either in hiring new employees or buying new equipment.

As noted in my previous statement, Corporate America is already sitting on trillions in capital and have no interest in investing in America. I guess until the US worker accepts Third World Wages, this will be the trend.

And they should go back to capped wells that already have rich oil just sitting there.

Take away the ability of the EPA to enforce new standards without getting Congressional approval.

And the best thing about all those ideas? They won't cost a single thin dime, let alone a half a trillion dollars but will create REAL long term employment.

Our infrastructure needs trillions of dollars in repairs, it has been underfunded for decades. With all the needed repairs, it will take decades to catch up, nothing short-term there. A growing trend worldwide is private investment in infrastructure, in other words the privatization of this country's infrastructure. It's a win-win. Less tax dollars and long-term employment.

First of all, corporations are not sitting on capital because they have no interest in investing in America. They are sitting on it because they are "leery" of investing in America under the present circumstances. You have to keep in mind that businesses invest because they think potential profit to be realized is worth the risk in capital. What the Obama Administration has never seemed to grasp is that each time they proposed Cap & Trade legislation there was a room full of business people somewhere who pushed their chairs back from the table and said "Whoa...what's THAT going to do to the bottom line?" Every time the EPA announced stricter regulations on emissions another room full of business people somewhere winced and said "Wow...do we really want to build our new factory in the United States when our energy costs would be so much lower somewhere else?" Every time they pushed Card Check business leaders someplace asked each other "Is this going to mean we get hit with high priced union wages in six months?" Every time the Justice Department sues a company for building a factory in a right to work State instead of a union friendly State businesses ask themselves "Is this Administration so pro-union that we can't get a fair shake?" And when companies and investors see this Administration reorder how creditors in a bankruptcy are in line to get paid in order to benefit big unions they ask themselves "Can we really trust that this Administration is going to follow the rule of law?"

It's uncertainty over things like this that have kept Private Sector money from being invested. I shake my head over the disconnect that the Obama White House has between their actions and the reactions of the business community. There doesn't seem to be anyone within the President's inner circle that understands how businesses function.

As for what tort reform would save? The trial lawyers would like you to think that the tort reform that would stop their bonanza would only save 2% but anyone who's involved in medicine would tell you that their cost for malpractice insurance is astronomical and that they regularly prescribe tests and procedures simply to protect themselves from potential law suits.

I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about when you say that the oil companies should go back to capped wells full of oil. Oil exploration is an ongoing thing. When you shut down the drilling industry like this Administration has...then at some point our costs are going to go up.

First of all, corporations are not sitting on capital because they have no interest in investing in America. They are sitting on it because they are "leery" of investing in America under the present circumstances. You have to keep in mind that businesses invest because they think potential profit to be realized is worth the risk in capital. What the Obama Administration has never seemed to grasp is that each time they proposed Cap & Trade legislation there was a room full of business people somewhere who pushed their chairs back from the table and said "Whoa...what's THAT going to do to the bottom line?" Every time the EPA announced stricter regulations on emissions another room full of business people somewhere winced and said "Wow...do we really want to build our new factory in the United States when our energy costs would be so much lower somewhere else?" Every time they pushed Card Check business leaders someplace asked each other "Is this going to mean we get hit with high priced union wages in six months?" Every time the Justice Department sues a company for building a factory in a right to work State instead of a union friendly State businesses ask themselves "Is this Administration so pro-union that we can't get a fair shake?" And when companies and investors see this Administration reorder how creditors in a bankruptcy are in line to get paid in order to benefit big unions they ask themselves "Can we really trust that this Administration is going to follow the rule of law?"

It's uncertainty over things like this that have kept Private Sector money from being invested. I shake my head over the disconnect that the Obama White House has between their actions and the reactions of the business community. There doesn't seem to be anyone within the President's inner circle that understands how businesses function.

Naw.

Either you are a shill..or you don't see the big picture. The "Obamacare" health care package and "Cap and Trade" were both conservative initiatives. They were "doing something". Which is the conservative way of offering up "something" without actually doing it. Well President Obama fell for it and actually passed one of their lunatic ideas. And maybe it wasn't as naive as that..because the conservatives went batshit crazy about getting rid of it. Maybe by passing it, this was a means to show just how evil the conservative movement has become.

In any case...the private sector isn't sitting on trillions because they "no longer believe in America" or because "the President doesn't understand how businesses function", they are sitting on it because they can. They are sitting on it because it is profitable to do so. These are short minded people with minds that are set on making money. That's it. That's the bottom line. That's why it's a bad idea to let them lead.

A mantra that the left parrots all the time yet here we are, in a failed economy that one trillion ended up doing nothing to solve. You can continue to say that it was a resounding success but most Americans know otherwise. They simply need to take a look around to understand that it was not what you keep claiming it is. A second round will not be taken well by independent voters.

Stop posting - I am out of rep for you :)

Forum List

Back