Parents rush son to Ontario for emergency care after 15-hour wait at Montreal hospital

No, they just shut down ER units and allow people to die on their hospital floor after 10 hour waits. That's not hyperbole, I posted this.

imagine buying a $300 item at the store and paying $339 at the cash in Ontario? It used to be $345. Where does the money go? Ontario has half of the entire countries debt, far more per capita than even California and we are a fraction of its global economic might.

Unaccountable Police States. I am a victim I know of what I speak.
That sounds like America. They shut down hospitals all the time

That sounds like America. They shut down hospitals all the timed
Due to lo volume of patients I assume. in Canada they shut them down due to lack of funding.

We will give $200M "one-time" (Doug Ford did it twice, and once during the pandemic!") top-ups to the TPS, no questions asked on top of their more than $1B a year budget. He says it is "to go after gangs". He's a complete idiot. I believe once they arrested 3 people in total for one of the top-ups. There is zero accountability of how many covert we have in TPS, Peel Region OPP, RCMP et al.

Meanwhile, our same levels of government paid $28B in total to two European companies. Not loans, GRANTS. It calculated to i believe $3M per job, paid for by the taxpayer. Astounding. As our hospitals disappear and people are living on the streets, unable to eat.

Due to lo volume of patients I assume. in Canada they shut them down due to lack of funding.

We will give $200M "one-time" (Doug Ford did it twice, and once during the pandemic!") top-ups to the TPS, no questions asked on top of their more than $1B a year budget. He says it is "to go after gangs". He's a complete idiot. I believe once they arrested 3 people in total for one of the top-ups. There is zero accountability of how many covert we have in TPS, Peel Region OPP, RCMP et al.

Meanwhile, our same levels of government paid $28B in total to two European companies. Not loans, GRANTS. It calculated to i believe $3M per job, paid for by the taxpayer. Astounding. As our hospitals disappear and people are living on the streets, unable to eat.
They shut them down because they don't make money leaving rural residents stranded

Very common

Yes...tiny, dedicated populations with specific medical facilities dedicated to taking care of them.......

As socialized medical systems around the world run out of money, doctors and nurses.....they continue to refuse to see the truth...

Well, my father in law and his wife are in their late 70's/early 80's, and they have never had a problem getting to see a doctor when needed. (Both are regular civilians, never served in the military). Father in law had some serious stuff going on with him, part was because of a condition, and part was because there was a complication from treatment, and the doctor saw him right away when there were problems. Same with his wife.

Both are on Medicare/Medicaid, and with all the surgeries (back, knees, hips), they seem to have done pretty good.

My fiancee had both her knees redone. (Again, full civilian with no military service.) First one was in Jan, and second one was just a month or two ago. Never had a problem seeing the doctor, or getting the home care she needed. Matter of fact, she was able to have both knees redone in 7 months.

Like I said, while medical care IS expensive here in the USA, from all the people I've known who needed to have medical services, they have all been able to get them in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, there are horror stories of places where that didn't happen, but those seem to be the exception rather than the rule from what I've seen. But...............due to the cost, it is pretty important to have some kind of medical insurance to help with the expense.

They never run out of money

Yeah...they do.......
Well, my father in law and his wife are in their late 70's/early 80's, and they have never had a problem getting to see a doctor when needed. (Both are regular civilians, never served in the military). Father in law had some serious stuff going on with him, part was because of a condition, and part was because there was a complication from treatment, and the doctor saw him right away when there were problems. Same with his wife.

Both are on Medicare/Medicaid, and with all the surgeries (back, knees, hips), they seem to have done pretty good.

My fiancee had both her knees redone. (Again, full civilian with no military service.) First one was in Jan, and second one was just a month or two ago. Never had a problem seeing the doctor, or getting the home care she needed. Matter of fact, she was able to have both knees redone in 7 months.

Like I said, while medical care IS expensive here in the USA, from all the people I've known who needed to have medical services, they have all been able to get them in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, there are horror stories of places where that didn't happen, but those seem to be the exception rather than the rule from what I've seen. But...............due to the cost, it is pretty important to have some kind of medical insurance to help with the expense.

Yeah....the U.S. has really good medical care, so much so that Canadians come here for tests, since the waiting lists there are months long for simple MRIs and other tests.........forget about anything major like heart surgery....

They shut them down because they don't make money leaving rural residents stranded

Very common

Actually, I have seen that happen in the TX panhandle. Small towns didn't have enough medical traffic for the clinics to remain open because they didn't make any money. Yes, that does leave some rural folks with the hardship of having to travel 50 - 100 miles to be able to see a competent doctor.

But...................I kinda have the same problem. If it's routine care, I go to the VA, and that results in a 50 to 75 mile trip each way to go there. But, apparently there is a program to reimburse patients for their travel, even if done via privately owned vehicle. Haven't looked into it yet, but heard from another vet that it's there.

But, if it's emergency care (like I described in another post), I go to the nearest emergency room and get taken care of and send the bill to the VA.

Actually, I have seen that happen in the TX panhandle. Small towns didn't have enough medical traffic for the clinics to remain open because they didn't make any money. Yes, that does leave some rural folks with the hardship of having to travel 50 - 100 miles to be able to see a competent doctor.

But...................I kinda have the same problem. If it's routine care, I go to the VA, and that results in a 50 to 75 mile trip each way to go there. But, apparently there is a program to reimburse patients for their travel, even if done via privately owned vehicle. Haven't looked into it yet, but heard from another vet that it's there.

But, if it's emergency care (like I described in another post), I go to the nearest emergency room and get taken care of and send the bill to the VA.

I believe Trump started that program or tried to get that program created...so that veterans could go to any Dr. or hospital and have the VA pay for it.....that is only Right and just for their service to the country...

I believe Trump started that program or tried to get that program created...so that veterans could go to any Dr. or hospital and have the VA pay for it.....that is only Right and just for their service to the country...

Actually, that is a program called "Veterans Choice" which allows a veteran to go to a civilian hospital if an appointment can't be made within 30 days of the vet needing it, and it was started under Obama after the Phoenix debacle back in 2016. No, Trump didn't start it, he just tried to convince people that he did.

As far as the veteran being able to go to an emergency room if something serious happened and the nearest VA was too far away? That has always been the case. If you are considered to be residing (or the accident happened) too far away from a VA for emergency treatment (usually 50 miles away or more), then going to a civilian emergency room has always been the case. Same thing for active duty members who have accidents happen while on leave and a military hospital wasn't close enough to provide care.

I also think that the reimbursement for travel has always been there, I just never looked into it enough to see about reimbursement, as I didn't feel like the gas I spent to get there was going to break me. But, hey..........free money is free money, so I think I will look into it next time I go for a check up. Might even see if I can get back reimbursement for the times I never filed a claim.

Sometimes the VA hospital can be the best hospital in that city for certain conditions

We're you navy? I was seabees

Actually, that is a program called "Veterans Choice" which allows a veteran to go to a civilian hospital if an appointment can't be made within 30 days of the vet needing it, and it was started under Obama after the Phoenix debacle back in 2016. No, Trump didn't start it, he just tried to convince people that he did.

As far as the veteran being able to go to an emergency room if something serious happened and the nearest VA was too far away? That has always been the case. If you are considered to be residing (or the accident happened) too far away from a VA for emergency treatment (usually 50 miles away or more), then going to a civilian emergency room has always been the case. Same thing for active duty members who have accidents happen while on leave and a military hospital wasn't close enough to provide care.

I also think that the reimbursement for travel has always been there, I just never looked into it enough to see about reimbursement, as I didn't feel like the gas I spent to get there was going to break me. But, hey..........free money is free money, so I think I will look into it next time I go for a check up. Might even see if I can get back reimbursement for the times I never filed a claim.

Yeah....no....

In June 2018, Trump signed the Mission Act, which made it easier for veterans to seek private care. This was an update of the VA Choice Act and consolidated the existing health care programs under the Veteran Affairs Department into one central program. This measure expanded the eligibility requirements for private care based on certain criteria so that veterans are able to seek a non-VA doctor if their VA wait is 20 days, if they live 30 minutes away from the nearest VA facility or if "a veteran and the veteran's referring clinician agree that furnishing care or services in the community would be in the best medical interest of the veteran," according to the New York Times.
-----
"For more than 45 years, they were trying to get Choice," Trump said in a video posted on his personal Twitter account.
"Obama gave you a weak version that didn't work. It was a joke. I gave you the Mission Act, which is phenomenal, and it's worked out fantastically well."

According to estimates from the Congressional Budget Office, an additional 640,000 veterans each year will seek care outside the VA system, and the legislation requires VA to negotiate a contract for veterans to seek care at private walk-in clinics.

Yeah....no....

In June 2018, Trump signed the Mission Act, which made it easier for veterans to seek private care. This was an update of the VA Choice Act and consolidated the existing health care programs under the Veteran Affairs Department into one central program. This measure expanded the eligibility requirements for private care based on certain criteria so that veterans are able to seek a non-VA doctor if their VA wait is 20 days, if they live 30 minutes away from the nearest VA facility or if "a veteran and the veteran's referring clinician agree that furnishing care or services in the community would be in the best medical interest of the veteran," according to the New York Times.
-----
"For more than 45 years, they were trying to get Choice," Trump said in a video posted on his personal Twitter account.
"Obama gave you a weak version that didn't work. It was a joke. I gave you the Mission Act, which is phenomenal, and it's worked out fantastically well."

According to estimates from the Congressional Budget Office, an additional 640,000 veterans each year will seek care outside the VA system, and the legislation requires VA to negotiate a contract for veterans to seek care at private walk-in clinics.

Did you even bother to read your own link? From the link you just posted.....................

The VA Choice Act, or the Veterans Access to Care through Choice, Accountability and Transparency Act, was passed in 2014 under President Barack Obama.

According to The Hill, the bipartisan bill expanded the number of options veterans have for receiving care and granted the United States Secretary of Veteran Affairs more power to fire executives. It included "choice cards" for veterans to see non-VA providers if they could not get appointments with the agency within 30 days or live more than 40 miles from a clinic and added nearly $500 million for hiring additional nurses and doctors. Senators Bernie Sanders and John McCain were the main architects of the legislation.

The bill came after the major VA scandal in which VA staff had been instructed to falsify their waiting lists to cover up lone wait times for basic care. The issue was especially prevalent at the VA medical center in Phoenix, where veterans waited 115 days on average for an initial primary care appointment, according to an interim independent report by the VA's inspector general at the time.

I got the year wrong, I said 2016, when in reality, it was done by Obama in 2014. My bad.

As far as Trump passing it? Nope. All he did was expand upon what Obama had originally passed. No, Trump DID NOT pass the Veterans Choice Act, Obama did. I remember getting my VA choice card in the mail after it happened as I was (and still am) receiving VA benefits due to retiring from the Navy. Again, from your own posted link..................

All Trump did was expand the already existing act, and reduce the time from 30 days down to 20, and the distance from 40 miles to 30 minutes. Sorry, but Obama passed the act first. All Trump did was make minor changes in expansion and then claimed to have passed it. Unfortunately, you Trump rubes bought the bullshit that he passed it when he didn't.

Did you even bother to read your own link? From the link you just posted.....................

The VA Choice Act, or the Veterans Access to Care through Choice, Accountability and Transparency Act, was passed in 2014 under President Barack Obama.

According to The Hill, the bipartisan bill expanded the number of options veterans have for receiving care and granted the United States Secretary of Veteran Affairs more power to fire executives. It included "choice cards" for veterans to see non-VA providers if they could not get appointments with the agency within 30 days or live more than 40 miles from a clinic and added nearly $500 million for hiring additional nurses and doctors. Senators Bernie Sanders and John McCain were the main architects of the legislation.

The bill came after the major VA scandal in which VA staff had been instructed to falsify their waiting lists to cover up lone wait times for basic care. The issue was especially prevalent at the VA medical center in Phoenix, where veterans waited 115 days on average for an initial primary care appointment, according to an interim independent report by the VA's inspector general at the time.

I got the year wrong, I said 2016, when in reality, it was done by Obama in 2014. My bad.

As far as Trump passing it? Nope. All he did was expand upon what Obama had originally passed. No, Trump DID NOT pass the Veterans Choice Act, Obama did. I remember getting my VA choice card in the mail after it happened as I was (and still am) receiving VA benefits due to retiring from the Navy. Again, from your own posted link..................

All Trump did was expand the already existing act, and reduce the time from 30 days down to 20, and the distance from 40 miles to 30 minutes. Sorry, but Obama passed the act first.

And you ignored the important part...

And you ignored the important part...

He took it from 30 days down to 20, and from 40 miles down to 30 minutes (btw, when I was living in TX, 40 miles only took around 30 min, same thing in my home state of MT). Small updates that weren't really that much in changes. Obama passed the VA Choice Act first, all Trump did was tweak it a little bit so that he could try to convince rubes like you that he passed it. In reality, he didn't do much at all.

Police States aren't good at healthcare or civil liberties. You sure you want to be like us?

Christos Lianos is recovering from complications related to a burst appendix. Though he is a student in Montreal, he received care in Kingston, Ont.

That's because his parents rushed him to his hometown after waiting 15 hours in the Royal Victoria Hospital's emergency room.

Lianos, 20, said he doesn't like thinking about what might have happened to him if he had stayed in Montreal, waiting for care that didn't seem to be coming.

"If I had gone home or stayed for, who knows how long in that waiting room, what could have happened to me?" he asked. "Would I be here today?"

It was mid-June when Lianos started experiencing significant abdominal pain and a high fever. He had been feeling off for a few days, but had taken a turn for the worse the night of June 14. So, he called his parents.

"Automatically, me and my husband, we thought: 'My God, that sounds like his appendix,'" said Niki Lianos, Christos's mother.

Driving 3 hours for care​

Niki Lianos told her son to go to the hospital immediately. And then she and her husband drove three hours from Kingston to be with him.

In the 15 hours he was at the hospital, which is part of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC), nurses checked on him twice to assess his symptoms and gave him Tylenol every six hours for the pain, the family said.

Lianos said she lost her patience and yelled at the nurse, saying had she known they'd be waiting for so long, they would have gone back to Kingston for treatment.

They were doing what they believed to be in the best interest of their son to save his life. I'd like to think most parents would do the same.

Forum List

Back