Pandemic In the Making?

You have the power to remove or move my posts if you do not feel they are germane to the thread. And it's always so easy to 'put down liberals' since just about any topic can point to their hypocrisy.

Now back to the subject at hand... Pandemics have been brought up on message boards many times and population control has invariably been discussed. I'm sure we've all seen this:

Newsvine - Obama advisor: Earth population 'exceeds limits'

These comments aren't from Liberals about the flu:

Newsvine - Deadly new flu strain threatens U.S., Mexico

They aren't from liberals? How do you know?

"Discuss more MSNBC.com Health articles in the MSNBC.com Health Group on Newsvine"

Here's a funny comment from your link:

John T-239903Urlemmings.................... Because you, eternally perfect liberal are so selfless unto the planet - our sacred flora and fauna, we know you'll be the first to volunteer yourself to leave this wretched world.

:lol:

Glad you think that's funny!

I just pm'd annie and told her I'm not going to derail her thread any longer.

Let's just pray nobody else dies from this flu, eh?

"Discuss more MSNBC.com Health articles in the MSNBC.com Health Group on Newsvine"

John T-239903Urlemmings.................... Because you, eternally perfect liberal are so selfless unto the planet - our sacred flora and fauna, we know you'll be the first to volunteer yourself to leave this wretched world.

I second that. Way too much mean-spiritedness on this and all the political threads.

I hope no one dies and CDC comes up with vaccine very quickly, they are good at that.

Tamiflu has been effective in treatment, if started early enough.

Ever since DavidS started a thread about the swine flu, the prayer chains in my circle have been quite active. Prayers on the way!

prayers wont stop a killer strain of flu...sorry ...

the hints to wash hands etc are good ones...dont even touch handrails....or door knobs...

and here is how we wash our hands...you go in and you hit the motion detector thing so you have two towels hanging there.....turn on the water...wash y our hands with soap...hum yankee doodle dandy...when you finish you have washed enough...rise...grab first towel and turn off spigots...toss ...grab next towel to open door to backroom going out....toss at last minute...

carry hand santizer or wipes...just in case...wipe off handles of shopping buggies...most stores provide wipes for doing that....and i wouldnt be eating out that much...or hanging out at the airports....avoid handling money as much as possible....money is so nasty

Huh. When I posted the routine I used with my children in public restrooms, which was essentially word for word what Strolling posted above, Jillian sneered at me for being paranoid.

As I said, all my grandparents lived through the 1914 flu epidemic because all my family is "paranoid" about this sort of thing, and always have been.

the hints to wash hands etc are good ones...dont even touch handrails....or door knobs...

and here is how we wash our hands...you go in and you hit the motion detector thing so you have two towels hanging there.....turn on the water...wash y our hands with soap...hum yankee doodle dandy...when you finish you have washed enough...rinse...grab first towel and turn off spigots...toss ...grab next towel to open door to backroom going out....toss at last minute...

carry hand santizer or wipes...just in case...wipe off handles of shopping buggies...most stores provide wipes for doing that....and i wouldnt be eating out that much...or hanging out at the airports....avoid handling money as much as possible....money is so nasty

:lol: Great advice!

The scary thing is, they are saying it's a strain never before seen in humans OR swine. Not sure why they're calling it the swine flu?

Well let's see what we have received from Mexico -- increase in TB, E. coli tomatoes, and now swine flu. This is the direct result of our government's (dems and repubs) failure to control our southern border. Folks it looks like the swine flu is going to get worse while our government says it is gathering more info. Any person in the street can tell you where this virus came from and that it's quickly spreading. The government will never admit the problem is lack of border security. Thanks Congress. I bet Congress takes precautions to protect themselves.

Here's a list of headlines from The Drudge Report . . .

OBAMA GREETED IN MEXICO BY MAN WHO DIED DAYS LATER OF FLU SYMPTOMS...

Possible Outbreak At NYC Prep School...

8 Students Test 'Probable'...

Mexico City residents staying at home...

Calderon Declares Emergency; Power to Quarantine...

WHO declares international concern...

CLOSE TO 1,000 SUSPECTED CASES...

HEALTH EXPERTS CONSIDER RESPONSES TO OUTBREAK...

2 cases found in Kansas...

New swine flu likely widespread...

and here is how we wash our hands...you go in and you hit the motion detector thing so you have two towels hanging there.....turn on the water...wash y our hands with soap...hum yankee doodle dandy...when you finish you have washed enough...rinse...grab first towel and turn off spigots...toss ...grab next towel to open door to backroom going out....toss at last minute...

:lol: Great advice!

The scary thing is, they are saying it's a strain never before seen in humans OR swine. Not sure why they're calling it the swine flu?

If you read those earlier posts from a few years ago, the concern has always been mutations. That has happened and seems to be going to human-to-human contact now.

As for 'illegal immigrants' they've brought diseases, don't think the flu problem is one that can be laid at their door, as it's always been known that when a pandemic strikes, it would be air travel that would spread it. Impossible not to.

Well let's see what we have received from Mexico -- increase in TB, E. coli tomatoes, and now swine flu. This is the direct result of our government's (dems and repubs) failure to control our southern border. Folks it looks like the swine flu is going to get worse while our government says it is gathering more info. Any person in the street can tell you where this virus came from and that it's quickly spreading. The government will never admit the problem is lack of border security. Thanks Congress. I bet Congress takes precautions to protect themselves.

Here's a list of headlines from The Drudge Report . . .

OBAMA GREETED IN MEXICO BY MAN WHO DIED DAYS LATER OF FLU SYMPTOMS...

Possible Outbreak At NYC Prep School...

8 Students Test 'Probable'...

Mexico City residents staying at home...

Calderon Declares Emergency; Power to Quarantine...

WHO declares international concern...

CLOSE TO 1,000 SUSPECTED CASES...

HEALTH EXPERTS CONSIDER RESPONSES TO OUTBREAK...

2 cases found in Kansas...

New swine flu likely widespread...

Hello? Probably thousands of US college students went down to Mexico during spring break,, and then came home and returned to school.

We get the whole trumped up torture debate with soon-to-be-released pics, and now this relative non-story spreading more fear and uncertainty, and dominating the weekend news cycle????

Hmmmmm.....

I know.

But then I live in an isolated area. Regardless of what happens, I'm unlikely to be affected.

It's more likely to hit those isolated liberal elitists who choke our cities.

it is killing 25 to 45 yr olds....now that is odd...about 60 have died in mexico....estimates as low as 20 as high as 60....8 infected in texas...it will spread fast.. think of all the mexicans harvesting food...i would be trying to grow a garden and/or buy local food...

Mexicans are compromised for a variety of reasons....for one thing, they aren't immunized, they live in less than sanitary conditions, they frequently are undernourished or suffering from parasites....

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) Investigation

Human Swine Influenza Investigation

April 25, 2009 19:30 EDT

Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in the U.S. in San Diego County and Imperial County, California as well as in San Antonio, Texas. Internationally, human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in Mexico.

U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
State # of laboratory
confirmed cases
California 7 cases
Texas 2 cases
Kansas 2 cases
TOTAL COUNT 11 cases
International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
See: World Health OrganizationExternal Web Site Policy.
As of April 25th, 2009 7:30 p.m. EDT

Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with similar swine influenza viruses.

CDC is working very closely with state and local officials in California, Texas, as well as with health officials in Mexico, Canada and the World Health Organization. On April 24th, CDC deployed 7 epidemiologists to San Diego County, California and Imperial County, California and 1 senior medical officer to Texas to provide guidance and technical support for the ongoing epidemiologic field investigations. CDC has also deployed to Mexico 1 medical officer and 1 senior expert who are part of a global team that is responding to the outbreak of respiratory illnesses in Mexico. Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with similar swine influenza viruses.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Flu Activity

Flu Terms Defined

Bird flu is commonly used to refer to Avian flu (see below). Bird flu viruses infect birds, including chickens, other poultry and wild birds such as ducks.

Avian flu (AI) is caused by influenza viruses that occur naturally among wild birds. Low pathogenic AI is common in birds and causes few problems. Highly pathogenic H5N1 is deadly to domestic fowl, can be transmitted from birds to humans, and is deadly to humans. There is virtually no human immunity and human vaccine availability is very limited.

Pandemic flu is virulent human flu that causes a global outbreak, or pandemic, of serious illness. Because there is little natural immunity, the disease can spread easily from person to person. Currently, there is no pandemic flu.

Seasonal (or common) flu is a respiratory illness that can be transmitted person to person. Most people have some immunity, and a vaccine is available.

Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza that regularly cause outbreaks of influenza among pigs. Swine flu viruses do not normally infect humans, however, human infections with swine flu do occur, and cases of human-to-human spread of swine flu viruses has been documented. See General Information about Swine Flu. CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

PandemicFlu.gov

Swine Flu Investigation

The CDC is actively investigating isolated human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) in California and Texas, and is working closely with its counterparts in Canada and Mexico and with the WHO. The CDC is continuously updating investigation information

As with any infectious disease, CDC recommends that people should take everyday preventive actions.

Last edited:
I have always wondered why some people die from the flu, and others don't.

I think our immune systems are so different, Annie, you just said healthy adults are dying from this new strain. It's scary. There are so many things we, as consumers, eat and drink and even touch, not knowing what's in it or where it's been. :eek:

I know the very young and the elderly have always been at high risk, but now it seems nobody is immune.

I think it's the same reason some people develop and die from cancer while others do not. Some people have stronger immune systems than others. We have been searching for a cure for cancer for over fifty years, putting billions of dollars into research, and yet, for the most part, have made little progress. Yes, some treatments do seem to work with certain types of cancer if caught early enough, but no real cures.

When I watched my wife battle leukemia and eventual die from it, I kept wondering how killing cells throughout the body was a good way to fight cancer. It just doesn't seem to make sense. It seems like the real cure would be in finding a way to strengthen the immune system so the body could do what it is meant to do. Of course, that may be impossible also.

Anyway, just rambling, I guess.

I have always wondered why some people die from the flu, and others don't.

I think our immune systems are so different, Annie, you just said healthy adults are dying from this new strain. It's scary. There are so many things we, as consumers, eat and drink and even touch, not knowing what's in it or where it's been. :eek:

I know the very young and the elderly have always been at high risk, but now it seems nobody is immune.

I think it's the same reason some people develop and die from cancer while others do not. Some people have stronger immune systems than others. We have been searching for a cure for cancer for over fifty years, putting billions of dollars into research, and yet, for the most part, have made little progress. Yes, some treatments do seem to work with certain types of cancer if caught early enough, but no real cures.

When I watched my wife battle leukemia and eventual die from it, I kept wondering how killing cells throughout the body was a good way to fight cancer. It just doesn't seem to make sense. It seems like the real cure would be in finding a way to strengthen the immune system so the body could do what it is meant to do. Of course, that may be impossible also.

Anyway, just rambling, I guess.

You make some good points. I know what you're saying, my sister in law died from Lupus, which is another disease they have no cure for yet.

I'm sorry about your wife.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) Investigation

Human Swine Influenza Investigation

April 25, 2009 19:30 EDT

Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in the U.S. in San Diego County and Imperial County, California as well as in San Antonio, Texas. Internationally, human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in Mexico.

U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
State # of laboratory
confirmed cases
California 7 cases
Texas 2 cases
Kansas 2 cases
TOTAL COUNT 11 cases
International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
See: World Health OrganizationExternal Web Site Policy.
As of April 25th, 2009 7:30 p.m. EDT

Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with similar swine influenza viruses.

CDC is working very closely with state and local officials in California, Texas, as well as with health officials in Mexico, Canada and the World Health Organization. On April 24th, CDC deployed 7 epidemiologists to San Diego County, California and Imperial County, California and 1 senior medical officer to Texas to provide guidance and technical support for the ongoing epidemiologic field investigations. CDC has also deployed to Mexico 1 medical officer and 1 senior expert who are part of a global team that is responding to the outbreak of respiratory illnesses in Mexico. Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with similar swine influenza viruses.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Flu Activity

Flu Terms Defined

Bird flu is commonly used to refer to Avian flu (see below). Bird flu viruses infect birds, including chickens, other poultry and wild birds such as ducks.

Avian flu (AI) is caused by influenza viruses that occur naturally among wild birds. Low pathogenic AI is common in birds and causes few problems. Highly pathogenic H5N1 is deadly to domestic fowl, can be transmitted from birds to humans, and is deadly to humans. There is virtually no human immunity and human vaccine availability is very limited.

Pandemic flu is virulent human flu that causes a global outbreak, or pandemic, of serious illness. Because there is little natural immunity, the disease can spread easily from person to person. Currently, there is no pandemic flu.

Seasonal (or common) flu is a respiratory illness that can be transmitted person to person. Most people have some immunity, and a vaccine is available.

Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza that regularly cause outbreaks of influenza among pigs. Swine flu viruses do not normally infect humans, however, human infections with swine flu do occur, and cases of human-to-human spread of swine flu viruses has been documented. See General Information about Swine Flu. CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

PandemicFlu.gov

Swine Flu Investigation

The CDC is actively investigating isolated human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) in California and Texas, and is working closely with its counterparts in Canada and Mexico and with the WHO. The CDC is continuously updating investigation information

As with any infectious disease, CDC recommends that people should take everyday preventive actions.

There can be a pandemic of swine flu. The term pandemic means widespread across many large areas.
If this human version of swine flu is virulent enough it could reach pandemic proportions.
The fact that we don't control the borders better is making the entire world susceptible since most world air traffic originates or passes through the US.

I personally think it's time for a thinning of the herd.

Forum List

Back