paleontology, for those who loves dinosaurs

Penguins evolved from birds that gave up flight and returned to the sea.

Thus being birds they are relics of dinosaurs.

They are endangered and may go extinct like the dodo did.

Antarctica is melting away.
Imagine the secrets that lay buried under her ice...

I took this in a Luthern church in Estonia. Painted in the 1500's the scene in Job talking about the Behemoth.

image.jpeg

The largest Dinosaur ever found was just announced 2 years ago:

Dreadnoughtus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

_77372913_dreadnoughtus_size_20140904_624.gif

Hello TheOldSchool, i think the biggest and heavy Animal that ever live on this earth is : Bruhathkayosaurus

View attachment 90900

4 time long like a bus...

View attachment 90899

They could be so big and heavy because they were :

Poikilotherms (or "cool" or pœcilotherme) are animals with a body temperature that varies with that of their environment. By this characteristic, they differ and are opposed to warm-blooded animals which have a relatively stable internal temperature. They are not to be confused with heterotherms that are warm-blooded which usually steady body temperature varies in some cases (hibernating animals, infants whose body temperature is not stable yet, etc.)
Most cold-blooded organisms (that do not control their body temperature) are ectothermic (that is to say, their body heat comes from outside). However, there are special cases, and it is necessary to recall that ectothermic poikilothermic and are not synonymous.
This lack of control of the internal temperature prevents a "normal" activity during cold periods, but it is a much more economical characteristic energy homeotherms. Both have survived because they are characteristic of different lifestyles, even if we consider that homeothermy is an evolving character.
C. megalodon
Dinosaur.

Troodon_dinosauroid.jpg

Here an image of the possible evolution of Troodon towards a human form

They had large eyes pointing forward which allowed them to have a perception of the depths. They most likely had a night vision which meant they were still active at night and they certainly understood that it was simpler to hunt at night. They were of a very similar gauge, 2 m long and about 50 kg. They were masters in the art of ambushing. They were fast, agile and very efficient dinosaurs. They also had a very developed maternal instinct. They might have a body trimmed with feathers.
<= Saurornithoides / Troodon =>

saurornithoides.jpg
troodon.jpg

Sourece : terre- univers.be
Humans and apes did not evolve from large reptiles.

They evolved from small weasel like mammals that survived the dinosaur extinction.

Evolution of mammals - Wikipedia
Ben oui, well yes i know that my post was about the fact if the dinosaur have survive like Troodon.

I love dinosaurs! :banana: :D

Bonsoir esthermoon, I love Dinosaur since i was a kid... this is great Monopoly board game to learn more about dinosaur :)

monopoly_dinosaurs_2_.jpg

Bonsoir Dalia! :bye1:
That Monopoly rocks! :bow3: :)

Bonsoir esthermoon, i like monopoly i have different version like the Simpsons also.:)
But i prefer Dinosaurs.
maxresdefault.jpg

list of the Dinosaurs

The Dino Directory - Name A-Z - Natural History Museum

I prefer dinosaurs too! :biggrin:

p.s. this T rex picture is.... :ack-1:

Bonsoir esthermoon :) pretty monstrous!

Tyrannosaurs got smart before they got big, and they got big quickly right at the end of the time of the dinosaurs

tyrannosaur-1-illustration.jpg

This illustration shows T. euotica prowling around Central Asia about 90 million years. Back then, the Central Asian climate was less like a desert, and more forested with rivers and lakes.
Credit: Todd Marshall

A horse-sized relative of the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex may not have been big, but it had a surprisingly advanced brain, a new study finds. The newfound dianosaur species, Timurlengia euotica, lived in what is now present-day Uzbekistan during the Cretaceous, about 90 million years ago. An analysis of its braincase showed that it had extraordinary low-frequency hearing, which likely helped it hunt prey. It may not have been the size of T. rex, but T. euotica provides evidence that tyrannosaurs' complex brains likely helped them become apex predators during the dinosaur age.

From Brains to Brawn: How T. Rex Became King of the Dinosaurs

Hi Dalia! How are you? :bye1:
T rex is not my only "love". I like Stegosaurus too :biggrin:

latest

Bonsoir esthermoon, I love Dinosaur since i was a kid... this is great Monopoly board game to learn more about dinosaur :)

monopoly_dinosaurs_2_.jpg
Bonsoir esthermoon, i like monopoly i have different version like the Simpsons also.:)
But i prefer Dinosaurs.
maxresdefault.jpg

list of the Dinosaurs

Tyrannosaurs got smart before they got big, and they got big quickly right at the end of the time of the dinosaurs

This illustration shows T. euotica prowling around Central Asia about 90 million years. Back then, the Central Asian climate was less like a desert, and more forested with rivers and lakes.

A horse-sized relative of the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex may not have been big, but it had a surprisingly advanced brain, a new study finds. The newfound dianosaur species, Timurlengia euotica, lived in what is now present-day Uzbekistan during the Cretaceous, about 90 million years ago. An analysis of its braincase showed that it had extraordinary low-frequency hearing, which likely helped it hunt prey. It may not have been the size of T. rex, but T. euotica provides evidence that tyrannosaurs' complex brains likely helped them become apex predators during the dinosaur age.

latest
Bonsoir esthermoon :bye1:and the smallest dinosaur compare to the T-Rex
Maniraptoran dinosaurs

Troodon_dinosauroid.jpg

They had large eyes pointing forward which allowed them to have a perception of the depths. They most likely had a night vision which meant they were still active at night and they certainly understood that it was simpler to hunt at night. They were of a very similar gauge, 2 m long and about 50 kg. They were masters in the art of ambushing. They were fast, agile and very efficient dinosaurs. They also had a very developed maternal instinct. They might have a body trimmed with feathers.

saurornithoides.jpg
troodon.jpg

They evolved from small weasel like mammals that survived the dinosaur extinction.

Ben oui, well yes i know that my post was about the fact if the dinosaur have survive like Troodon.
Well birds and crocodiles have survived, and they were dinosaurs once long ago.

Troodon_dinosauroid.jpg

saurornithoides.jpg
troodon.jpg

Well birds and crocodiles have survived, and they were dinosaurs once long ago.
Yes, but my post was about the fact that if the dinosaur Troodon had survive he could look like some kind of humanoid:)

Dalia, a little known fact about the dinosaurs:

gary-larson-dinosaurs-extinct.jpg
I love it:badgrin: thank...

The latest theory about dinosaurs suggests they may have lived mostly in the water, needing the buoyancy of aquatic life to support their huge frames. Here is a round up of other recent theories.
dino2_1996733b.jpg

Planet Dinosaur: Spinosaurus - the biggest predator ever to walk the Earth
that they died out from constipation due to changes in plant-life and that they never really existed, instead being a myth created by evolution theorists.
Or maybe they smoke to much plants :badgrin:

But i prefer Dinosaurs.
maxresdefault.jpg

list of the Dinosaurs

latest
Maniraptoran dinosaurs
Hi Dalia! How you doing? :bye1:

But i prefer Dinosaurs.
maxresdefault.jpg

list of the Dinosaurs

latest
Maniraptoran dinosaurs
Hi i am doing well, thank you ! and you ? :)

latest
Maniraptoran dinosaurs
Hi i am doing well, thank you ! and you ? :)
I'm ok Dalia thanks!
biggrinbounce2.gif
:)

Dinosaurs Might Not Be Extinct Had the Asteroid Struck Elsewhere.

merlin_129883520_2c6bb4ee-ecd9-42c8-96c5-01c8179cc2f3-master768.jpg

Had the asteroid that hit Earth 66 million years ago struck nearly anywhere else, some dinosaurs — and perhaps other species like this flying reptile — might have survived, according to a new study. Credit Mark Garlick, via Science Source .

Dinosaurs reigned supreme for more than 160 million years. Their dynasty came to a cataclysmic close 66 million years ago when an asteroid crashed into the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico at a site now known as the Chicxulub crater, paving the way for mammals — and eventually humans — to inherit the Earth.

But had the extraterrestrial impact happened nearly anywhere else, like in the ocean or in the middle of most continents, some scientists now say it is possible dinosaurs could have survived annihilation. Only 13 percent of the Earth’s surface harbored the ingredients necessary to turn the cosmic collision into this specific mass extinction event, according to a study published Thursday in the journal Scientific Reports.

“I think dinosaurs could still be alive today,” if the asteroid had landed elsewhere, Kunio Kaiho, a paleontologist from Tohoku University in Japan and lead author on the study, said in an email.

Other researchers questioned their findings.

When the asteroid, which had a diameter about half the length of Manhattan, struck the coast of Mexico, it found a rich source of sulfur and hydrocarbons, or organic deposits like fossil fuels, according to the researchers. Scorching hot temperatures at the impact crater would have ignited the fuel. The combustion would have spewed soot and sulfur into the stratosphere in sufficient quantities to blot out the sun and change the climate, setting into motion the collapse of entire ecosystems and the extinction of three-quarters of all species on Earth.

Photo
merlin_129883736_94f235d6-4839-4831-ab47-423a3358f903-master675.jpg

A shaded relief image from NASA of the Yucatán Peninsula, showing the Chicxulub impact crater at upper left. Credit NASA/JPL
The Chicxulub impact spewed an extraordinary amount of black carbon, or soot, from the rocks, the researchers said. That in turn launched nearly 60 Hoover Dams worth of soot into the upper atmosphere, cooling the Earth’s surface by as much as 18 degrees Fahrenheit, they said.

Not every place on the planet has the same amount of fossil fuel reserves and sulfur trapped beneath its surface. Locations with less hydrocarbons would have jetted less soot into the sky upon impact and created a smaller cooling effect around the globe. So Dr. Kaiho set out to determine the mass extinction hot spots in the Mesozoic real estate market
He created a map of what the world looked like 66 million years ago and used present day measurements of sedimentary rocks and organic compounds to estimate the global distribution of hydrocarbons during that time.

Dr. Kaiho’s co-author Naga Oshima, a senior researcher at the Meteorological Research Institute in Japan, created a model that simulated asteroid impacts that ejected varying amounts of trapped soot from rock. Only areas with the highest amounts of hydrocarbons released enough soot into the stratosphere to cool the climate to catastrophic levels.

Eighty-seven percent of Earth’s surface, places like most of present day India, China, the Amazon and Africa, would not have had high enough concentrations of hydrocarbons to seal the dinosaurs’ fate. But if the asteroid had hit marine coastal areas thriving with algae, which would have included present day Siberia, the Middle East and the eastern coast of North America, the bang would have been about as devastating to the dinosaurs and life on Earth as the Chicxulub impact.

Dinosaurs Might Not Be Extinct Had the Asteroid Struck Elsewhere

Site of asteroid impact changed the history of life on Earth: the low probability of mass extinction

I don't think we really have a good idea of what dinosaurs looked like. But there must have been a shit load of them to give us all the oil we have. ;)

I don't think we really have a good idea of what dinosaurs looked like. But there must have been a shit load of them to give us all the oil we have. ;)
Sure we do! If it looks like a bird and acts like a bird ... then, it must be a dinosaur.
But we still don't know what they really looked like. Unless we can find some videos somewhere...

New Topics

Forum List

Back