paleontology, for those who loves dinosaurs

Researchers From Japan And Mongolia Unearth The World's Largest Dinosaur Footprint Ever -

Let’s talk about some absolute studs who lived on the planet 65 million years ago – dinosaurs. Researchers in Mongolia have unearthed what could be the world’s largest dinosaur footprint. And it’s the size of a full grown man.

image_1_1475308596.jpg

tecake

According to researchers, the footprint belongs to a species named Titanosaur. This species was herbivorous and ate plants to gain energy, and was known to have a long neck – in fact, the longest neck among all the species that ever lived on Earth.

The footprint is 106 centimetres (42 inches) long and 77 centimetres wide.

sauroposeidonscale_1475308623.jpg

clipartpanda

The researchers on the team are from Mongolia and Japan. Mongolia has a huge history of dinosaurs footprints, with many being found in the Mongolian desert before. However, this one is the biggest so far.

The fossil may belong to a period ranging from 90-70 million years ago.

“This is a very rare discovery as it’s a well-preserved fossil footprint that is more than a metre long with imprints of its claws,” said a statement issued by the Okayama University of Science.

titanosaurus-indicus-a-prehistoric-era-sergey-krasovskiy_0204_1475308654_725x725.jpg

dinosaurpictures

This particular fossil belonged to a Titanosaur that was 30 meters long and 20 meters tall.

Source: Bing News ले छापेको छ/

My favorite is Deinonychus, vicious little bastards!

latest

I also like Coelophysis and was a part of a team that was able to identify a large fossil assemblage in the Morrison Formation in Utah as being these little buggers. I found a intact cross section of a forearm that was able to positively identify them. Here is the cross section and the critter for comparison.

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

coelophysis-size.jpg

Thank you westwall, they wear aggressive the features of Deinonychus seemed to make the tail into a stiff counterbalance, but a fossil of the very closely related Velociraptor mongoliensis

Thank you westwall, they wear aggressive the features of Deinonychus seemed to make the tail into a stiff counterbalance, but a fossil of the very closely related Velociraptor mongoliensis

Yes, the two filled the same niche.

When two species that occupy the same niche eliminate some of the need to compete by diverging their niches they become able to exist simultaneously. Species can adapt to new niches by seeking out a different source of food or by altering their primary place of habitation. According to the Lotka-Volterra equation, competition within each species comes to predominate over competition between the two different species as their two niches diverge. There are many factors influencing how much niche differentiation is required in order to permit two species to coexist in overlapping niches. Some of them include how similar the two species are, how much variation there is within each species, what type of environment they are occupying and what type of resources they are competing for.

When two species that occupy the same niche eliminate some of the need to compete by diverging their niches they become able to exist simultaneously. Species can adapt to new niches by seeking out a different source of food or by altering their primary place of habitation. According to the Lotka-Volterra equation, competition within each species comes to predominate over competition between the two different species as their two niches diverge. There are many factors influencing how much niche differentiation is required in order to permit two species to coexist in overlapping niches. Some of them include how similar the two species are, how much variation there is within each species, what type of environment they are occupying and what type of resources they are competing for.

That is true, however these two were separated by a pretty good amount of land and ocean.

I like Ankylosaurus...

latest

Tyrannosaurus rex vs Ankylosaurus

I've always thought that Ankylosaurus was a bizarre creature.
A other bizarre creature Troodon formosus

troodon_789_600x450.jpg

With a relatively large brain for its small size, Troodon formosus was probably one of the smartest dinosaurs. It may have been as intelligent as modern birds.

I like Ankylosaurus...

latest

View attachment 99671

With a relatively large brain for its small size, Troodon formosus was probably one of the smartest dinosaurs. It may have been as intelligent as modern birds.

I am not familiar with this critter. Do they have any idea of the brain construction?

Troodon_dinosauroid.jpg

Here an image of the possible evolution of Troodon towards a human form

They had large eyes pointing forward which allowed them to have a perception of the depths. They most likely had a night vision which meant they were still active at night and they certainly understood that it was simpler to hunt at night. They were of a very similar gauge, 2 m long and about 50 kg. They were masters in the art of ambushing. They were fast, agile and very efficient dinosaurs. They also had a very developed maternal instinct. They might have a body trimmed with feathers.
<= Saurornithoides / Troodon =>

saurornithoides.jpg
troodon.jpg

Sourece : terre- univers.be

Troodon_dinosauroid.jpg

Here an image of the possible evolution of Troodon towards a human form

They had large eyes pointing forward which allowed them to have a perception of the depths. They most likely had a night vision which meant they were still active at night and they certainly understood that it was simpler to hunt at night. They were of a very similar gauge, 2 m long and about 50 kg. They were masters in the art of ambushing. They were fast, agile and very efficient dinosaurs. They also had a very developed maternal instinct. They might have a body trimmed with feathers.
<= Saurornithoides / Troodon =>

saurornithoides.jpg
troodon.jpg

Sourece : terre- univers.be

Do they have a fossil that shows what the interior of the skull looked like? You can get an idea of the construction of the brain from that, and that can give you an indication of possible intelligence.

I like Ankylosaurus...

latest

View attachment 99671

I am not familiar with this critter. Do they have any idea of the brain construction?
Troodon had some of the largest known brains of any dinosaur group, relative to their body mass (comparable to modern birds
Troodon - Wikipedia

Hello Dalia, what is your position on recreating dino's from DNA. Me, I think we can do without them roaming about. I have read that they would be horrible household pets.
DNA under the right conditions completely breaks down after 7 million years so we would never be able to bring back true dinosaurs. If birds are truly the ancestors of dinosaurs we could possibly manipulate their DNA in such a way to simulate them.

-74 to -65 million years (end of the Cretaceous) Troodon live for 9 million years on earth !

VISION IN RELIEF

The eyes of Troodon,

Different from those of the

Most dinosaurs,

Were oriented towards the front

And not on the sides. This

Gave a relief

As in humans.

Thanks to this unusual faculty

For a dinosaur, he succeeded

To evolve the distance of the prey

Before jumping to kill her.

troodon.gif

Legs slightly

Folded in the egg

Troodon's EGGS were found at Egg Mountain in Montana, USA. Scientists have reconstructed this model of enbryon about to hatch with tiny bones present in an egg. Both parents kept their eggs in the nest, protecting them from their feathered legs.

Troodon probably possessed the largest brain, among all the dinosaurs, in proportion to his weight. But if he was perhaps quick-witted, his brain was no bigger than that of a bird-racer, a casoar, for example, and much smaller than that of an average mammal.

"Sue" is the nickname given to FMNH PR 2081, which is the largest, most extensive and best preserved Tyrannosaurus rex specimen ever found at over 90% recovered by bulk.[2] It has a length of 12.3 meters (40 ft), stands 3.66 m (12 ft) tall at the hips, and was estimated to have weighed around 6.4 to 10.2 metric tons when alive.[3][4] It was discovered in the summer of 1990, by Sue Hendrickson, a paleontologist, and was named after her. After ownership disputes were settled, the fossil was auctioned in October 1997, for US $7.6 million,[5][6] the highest amount ever paid for a dinosaurfossil,and is now a permanent feature at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, Illinois

0a8df2c6fa_trexok.jpg

A Tyrannosaurus rex painted by John Gurche. From the top of this reconstruction, decades of paleontological research contemplate ... © The Field Museum

SUE the T. rex

A History of Dinosaur Hunting and Reconstruction

Forum List

Back