Overweight children in America

% of Overweight or Obese Children In America. Is it....

• 16%

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 33%

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 48%

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 59%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • over 59%

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Is there a bread that is not wheat? When I cut sugar out..I lose weight so easily..I love sweets though, I think I am addicted ..lol
There is wheat and gluten free bread, but it usually sucks unless you make your own. Not bad toasted, though.

I haven't tried that -- yet. I have run some GF brownie mixes (which come out really good) and GF some scones and pizza crust mixes (which were OK) and oh yes some GF pancakes that were pretty good.

Maybe it's just me. Anything that is even a little bit bitter really seems to bother me.

It is just you. Ever eat "Belgian" endive? I learned a great salad with that while working in Europe (where they simply call it "endive"). Dice it up, cube up some Gruyère cheese and chunks of Golden Delicious apple, topped with a vinaigrette. You get sweet and sour in concert.

The skin on a carrot is not sour. It is just bitter tasting. I don't REALLY think it's just me. LOL. :D That is why most people do in fact peel their carrots. The skin has a not very good flavor.

"Most people peel their carrots"? Really? I never even heard of this until today. Perhaps we should run a poll.

Do it! :dunno: What the hell difference does one more stupid poll make? :D

Et voilà!

Place yer bets.

Maybe it's just me. Anything that is even a little bit bitter really seems to bother me.

It is just you. Ever eat "Belgian" endive? I learned a great salad with that while working in Europe (where they simply call it "endive"). Dice it up, cube up some Gruyère cheese and chunks of Golden Delicious apple, topped with a vinaigrette. You get sweet and sour in concert.

The skin on a carrot is not sour. It is just bitter tasting. I don't REALLY think it's just me. LOL. :D That is why most people do in fact peel their carrots. The skin has a not very good flavor.

"Most people peel their carrots"? Really? I never even heard of this until today.
Perhaps we should run a poll. ;)

If they have a "skin" -- you should be able to peel it off, right? Like a potato or an apple. I can't tell where "skin" ends and "carrot" begins. Never seen it.
Pogo, when's the last time you got your eyes checked?

I don't think Monsanto is the evil empire here. There has been a lot of work done to help increase crops, improve disease resistance and help them grow in areas prone to drought. This feeds more people and helps farmers. Have you ever seen real research that a genetically modified plant produces unhealthy food? It is the McDonalds of the world--huge food chains--that have turned our farmers into mass producers of 'perfect' uniform food with less flavor. And supermarket chains that demand strawberries all year, so we get those things that LOOK like strawberries but taste like nothing at all.

All that being said, I like heirloom varieties, especially tomatoes and beans (baking beans) and apples.

"Most people peel their carrots"? Really? I never even heard of this until today.

If they have a "skin" -- you should be able to peel it off, right? Like a potato or an apple. I can't tell where "skin" ends and "carrot" begins. Never seen it.

I don't think Monsanto is the evil empire here. There has been a lot of work done to help increase crops, improve disease resistance and help them grow in areas prone to drought. This feeds more people and helps farmers. Have you ever seen real research that a genetically modified plant produces unhealthy food? It is the McDonalds of the world--huge food chains--that have turned our farmers into mass producers of 'perfect' uniform food with less flavor. And supermarket chains that demand strawberries all year, so we get those things that LOOK like strawberries but taste like nothing at all.

All that being said, I like heirloom varieties, especially tomatoes and beans (baking beans) and apples.

Ever buy a peach or some other stone fruit from the grocery store? Yuck! They are dry and tasteless. Probably because they are sitting around for months at a time.

Make Healthy Foods More Affordable?
Boycott unhealthy foods?
There ARE cheap healthy foods, maybe people need to be educated on that?
Bananas, eggs, etc.
I thought eggs were supposed to be bad for us?
We probably could make fresh foods more affordable if farmers would agree to sell ALL their produce, not just the perfect stuff. I'm appalled by how much good food gets thrown away.

Y'all know where so-called "baby carrots" come from?

They're turned that way on a lathe. Literally. Usually using carrots that some corporate suit has decided is not perfectly symmetrical and therefore "won't sell" -- maybe it grew at a weird angle (even though Nature knows perfectly well what She's doing) -- so those are then put on a lathe and turned into perfect little corporate cylinders. The mentality of that makes me wanna puke.

One grocery in my town has a bulk bin for carrots. I make sure to buy the most asymmetrical, "imperfect" ones, just to stab that kind of mentality in the back.
You ever grow carrots? I got one once with two legs. And another that was a round ball, more like an orange potato. The good thing about those fake baby carrots is you don't have to peel them and chop them before cooking or eating. They're great raw with peanut butter. Protein, fiber, vitamins--good snack.

carrot-feet-682_1154771a.jpg
Chris, Did you grow that?!!

Wow, that post did a 180 in record time. :lol:

Yeah I buy heirlooms too if I have to buy tomatoes. That's how we know they're not Monsanto-polluted.

As for my eyes I'm severely nearsighted, which means I see close-up detail like a microscope. And while peaches, potatoes, oranges, even peppers clearly have a "skin" -- I've never seen one on a carrot.

I think what y'all are describing must be smoothing the naturally-rough texture, not "peeling". Which is the same thing that lathe does.

Ever buy a peach or some other stone fruit from the grocery store? Yuck! They are dry and tasteless. Probably because they are sitting around for months at a time.
I'm told the reason for that is they pick them before they're ripe, to keep them hard enough not to bruise during shipping and handling. Some things do NOT ripen once they're picked, unlike an avocado or a green tomato in a sack. I'd give anything for a really ripe plum anymore, but I live too far north for them to be grown locally, so haven't had one for years.

Yeah I buy heirlooms too if I have to buy tomatoes. That's how we know they're not Monsanto-polluted.

As for my eyes I'm severely nearsighted, which means I see close-up detail like a microscope. And while peaches, potatoes, oranges, even peppers clearly have a "skin" -- I've never seen one on a carrot.

I think what y'all are describing must be smoothing the naturally-rough texture, not "peeling". Which is the same thing that lathe does.
OMG Pogo! It is the Gods Honest Truth that carrots have a skin!!! It is thinner than a potato and is the same color as the carrot, which is probably why you never noticed it, but it is definitely there. Like you, a lot of people never bother peeling carrots (even though they know there's a skin) because it's so thin.
I like heirlooms for their flavor, not because I'm afraid of modern vegetables.

OMG Pogo! It is the Gods Honest Truth that carrots have a skin!!! It is thinner than a potato and is the same color as the carrot, which is probably why you never noticed it, but it is definitely there. Like you, a lot of people never bother peeling carrots (even though they know there's a skin) because it's so thin.

OK fine --- can anyone find and post a picture of a "carrot skin" --- distinct from the carrot?

I did a Google Image search. All I found was some shavings. Shavings and smoothings are not skinnings.

OK fine --- can anyone find and post a picture of a "carrot skin" --- distinct from the carrot?

I did a Google Image search. All I found was some shavings. Shavings and smoothings are not skinnings.

You are SO stubborn, Pogo! :bang3:

You are SO stubborn, Pogo! :bang3:

Flattery will get you everywhere. :D

Today:

1 slice of butter bread
1 cup of coffee

if we go out to eat might be more, it not, I'll probably have 2 bites of whatever I make.

does not include medications
I hope you take a multivitamin.

I went out to eat.
I had some bread, a few pieces of bloomin onion, and a steak (5 oz).

Today:

1 slice of butter bread
1 cup of coffee

if we go out to eat might be more, it not, I'll probably have 2 bites of whatever I make.

I went out to eat.
Who the heck serves bread and steak? You mean a steak sandwich?

Today:

1 slice of butter bread
1 cup of coffee

I went out to eat.
Apparently she went to Outback. They serve that honey wheat appetizer bread. It's good stuff.

Today:

1 slice of butter bread
1 cup of coffee

I went out to eat.
Apparently she went to Outback. They serve that honey wheat appetizer bread. It's good stuff.
I've never gone, I can do better at home. She needs some veggies though, someone needs to send her a gift basket.

They won't kill you, Bonzi!

Today:

1 slice of butter bread
1 cup of coffee

I went out to eat.

Muhammed is right. It was outback. they give you bread with your meal. I only had 2 small slices.
The dish I ordered came with diced potatoes (which I didn't eat) and broccoli (which I didn't eat because it was cooked but cold.. gross) - I ate all my meat. I should have gotten the asparagus but the only good asparagus is cooked at home. The thick kind - theirs is thin and gross. Same w/ the green beans

Today:

1 slice of butter bread
1 cup of coffee

I went out to eat.
I've never gone, I can do better at home. She needs some veggies though, someone needs to send her a gift basket.

They won't kill you, Bonzi!

I actually do like salad.
I buy shredded lettuce - an a light raspberry vinagarette to go with it and add small chopped nuts and sesame seeds. I just need to eat more of that.

Forum List

Back