Over 50% of employees of most, major tech companies disagree with Google firing over diversity memo

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Over half of Google employees polled say the web giant shouldn't have fired the engineer behind the controversial memo

Former Google engineer James Damore's memo on diversity generated lots of controversy.

So too, as it turns out, has the web giant's subsequent decision to fire him.

Employees across Silicon Valley are deeply divided about Google's move, according to a survey conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday by Blind, an anonymous corporate chat app. When Blind asked its users if they thought Google should have fired Damore, over 4,000 from different companies weighed in.

Perhaps most pertinently, 441 Google employees responded. Of them, more than half – 56% to be precise– said they didn't think it was right for the company to fire Damore.

The former engineer actually had significant support among all the corporations represented in the survey. But it did vary from company to company.

At Uber, 64% of employees who participated in the survey thought Google shouldn't have fired Damore. Employees at Apple and LinkedIn were nearly evenly split in the poll but leaned slightly toward approving Google's decision. Meanwhile, 65% of respondents from Lyft were good with the way it went down.

Damore lost his job Monday after a firestorm erupted over the weekend when his memo went viral. In it, Damore accused Google of a left-wing bias, questioned the effectiveness of its diversity programs, and suggested that biology, not just sexism, may contribute to the lack of women in tech and leadership roles.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai called the memo "not OK."

During an interview with a far-right YouTube personality on Tuesday, Damore stood by his memo.

"I've gotten a ton of personal messages of support, which has been really nice," he said. "I got that at Google before all of this leaked. Lots of upper management was shaming me."

Damore has already filed a formal complaint with the National Labor Relations Board, claiming his rights were violated..

e4GEnYe.png

When that many of your skilled workers disagree with the direction of your company, I think that can lead to defection and poaching. It'll be interesting to see if Google is able to retain its top talent.

I'm the last person to stick up for management firing someone.

But in this case, what else could they do? He pretty much nationally called his female and minority co-workers unfit for their jobs. How does he continue to work with them under those circumstances?

His continued presence on that team would have been disruptive.

I do find it funny that all the Right Wingers who support big corporations, the right to fire anyone for any reason, are against unions and workers rights, suddenly are bringing out the weeping towels for this misogynistic troll....

Forum List

Back