Google fires diversity manifesto author James Damore for wrong think

I still don't understand why he sent this via email to his co-workers? I've never worked at a job where it was acceptable for employees to send their personal view on politics or social issues to everyone. Personally I don't think anything he said was that bad, but I do think it was highly inappropriate for a work environment. Unless Google encouraged employees to share their personal view on these topics? Anyone?
not being in that environment, i can't tell you. i did work for a major liberal software company for 20 years but it was *never* this bad. i didn't go nuts on my conservative nature and they didn't go nuts on their liberal side. but i did know where i worked.

if google is openly showing a preference for one mindset over the other, how long do you hold it in before you must say something?i would have to think someone just had enough and the pain of having to put up with that was no longer worth the gain of having a job there.

firing him, however, validated his concern.

i'll never understand the PUNISH THEM fascination from the left when someone disagrees with them.

Again, the man was fired for publicly criticizing his employer's policies. If I did the same thing, no matter what the subject matter, I don't doubt I'd be fired as well. Employment is at will. It is not a right
where did i say otherwise? however, what did google prove by firing him?

only that he was right as far as i can tell. it's a mirror reflection of what is wrong today. you disagree with a social warrior, they want blood. it's dangerous and far more harmful to us as a society than trump.

After today's firing of a Google engineer for the diversity memo, ask yourself would any scientist publicly say climate change isn't real?

Meh, as both a woman, and a tech geek, I happen to agree with a lot of what he said in his memo. That said, that shit doesn't belong at work. While I would not be at all surprised if the other side (SJWs) are sending out similar memos in the opposite, and perhaps the guy thought it was thus acceptable, the hard reality is that it's not appropriate for either side unless it is part of their HR job there. It rather sounds like the guy was sick of it and didn't want to work there anymore and this was his "out in a blaze of glory" ~shrug~

Funny, this story makes me think of Jerry Maguire.
jerry-maguire-the-memo.jpg

Meh, as both a woman, and a tech geek, I happen to agree with a lot of what he said in his memo. That said, that shit doesn't belong at work. While I would not be at all surprised if the other side (SJWs) are sending out similar memos in the opposite, and perhaps the guy thought it was thus acceptable, the hard reality is that it's not appropriate for either side unless it is part of their HR job there. It rather sounds like the guy was sick of it and didn't want to work there anymore and this was his "out in a blaze of glory" ~shrug~

If things like this were sent out by the SJW types and they did not get fired for it, then the guys case gets even better if he does file an NLRB suit.

I agree

It is one of the dangers of "reply all" type emails

If he had sent his ten page screed just to management it would have been ignored or he would have been given a one on one counseling.

But to put it out to every employee to declare...I am smarter than management
You know who is going to win

I still don't understand why he sent this via email to his co-workers? I've never worked at a job where it was acceptable for employees to send their personal view on politics or social issues to everyone. Personally I don't think anything he said was that bad, but I do think it was highly inappropriate for a work environment. Unless Google encouraged employees to share their personal view on these topics? Anyone?
It was the tolerant and diversive SJW's ballistic response that made the story possible. By its actions Google says it only wants employees who want to parrot SJW twaddle.

They should have just put him on warning and it would have never made the news.

The fact that it made it to the public is irrelevant. All that matters is how employees at Google perceive it. It his personal view made other feel uncomfortable then he suffers the consequences.

So if a Vegan is uncomfortable with your ham sandwich in the company lunch room, you deserve to be fired?

You actually think your example is comparable to the topic, and some posters agreed with you? lol smh

Regardless whether you agree with this guy or not, it was inappropriate to send something like this through a work email.

I have lots of thoughts about many issues but I'm not going to send it to my co workers. Its inappropriate and I'd be fired.

This is the real issue, not what he actually wrote. Most people don't want to hear this stuff at work even if they agree. It's a place of business, not a platform for politics.

It was the tolerant and diversive SJW's ballistic response that made the story possible. By its actions Google says it only wants employees who want to parrot SJW twaddle.

The fact that it made it to the public is irrelevant. All that matters is how employees at Google perceive it. It his personal view made other feel uncomfortable then he suffers the consequences.

So if a Vegan is uncomfortable with your ham sandwich in the company lunch room, you deserve to be fired?

You actually think your example is comparable to the topic, and some posters agreed with you? lol smh

it's in the same ballpark.

not being in that environment, i can't tell you. i did work for a major liberal software company for 20 years but it was *never* this bad. i didn't go nuts on my conservative nature and they didn't go nuts on their liberal side. but i did know where i worked.

if google is openly showing a preference for one mindset over the other, how long do you hold it in before you must say something?i would have to think someone just had enough and the pain of having to put up with that was no longer worth the gain of having a job there.

firing him, however, validated his concern.

i'll never understand the PUNISH THEM fascination from the left when someone disagrees with them.

Again, the man was fired for publicly criticizing his employer's policies. If I did the same thing, no matter what the subject matter, I don't doubt I'd be fired as well. Employment is at will. It is not a right

This is the bigger issue people aren't seeing. You cannot use work email as you please. The purpose of work email is to make communication easier so you can get work done. Its not for expressing your personal views or opinions on company policies.

Regardless whether you agree with this guy or not, it was inappropriate to send something like this through a work email.

I have lots of thoughts about many issues but I'm not going to send it to my co workers. Its inappropriate and I'd be fired.

This is the real issue, not what he actually wrote. Most people don't want to hear this stuff at work even if they agree. It's a place of business, not a platform for politics.

Exactly. The guy should have thought about how some of his female co workers felt when reading that email. Its like a slap in a face. People dont go to work to receive emails like that from their co worker.

It's not even close. Using company email to send a personal statement on politics and social issues to your coworkers is not the same as eating a ham sandwich in the lunch room. Any HR department I've ever known would frown upon the email and not give shit about the ham sandwich.

It's not even close. Using company email to send a personal statement on politics and social issues to your coworkers is not the same as eating a ham sandwich in the lunch room. Any HR department I've ever known would frown upon the email and not give shit about the ham sandwich.

Frown enough upon it to fire the person on the spot?

Sure. I've seen it happen in companies I've worked in. The solution is easy - leave your politics and social views at home. That's standard operating procedure for most professional companies. Any time you open you mouth about this stuff you run the risk of offending someone.

I used to manage and had many direct reports. You never know what's going to offend people. I used to tell my employees just do your job and don't talk politics/social issues. I once had to have a talk with a male employee because he made a female employee feel uncomfortable when he complemented her hair. Seems harmless enough, right? I've also had to have talks with female employees as well for inappropriate comments that were bothering male employees. I could never believe the shit that would set people off, but you just never know. As a manager whether I agreed or not I still had to take the incident seriously and address it. As far as the Google employee, yea that one would be hard to come back from so I understand the firing.

Sure. I've seen it happen in companies I've worked in. The solution is easy - leave your politics and social views at home. That's standard operating procedure for most professional companies. Any time you open you mouth about this stuff you run the risk of offending someone.

I used to manage and had many direct reports. You never know what's going to offend people. I used to tell my employees just do your job and don't talk politics/social issues. I once had to have a talk with a male employee because he made a female employee feel uncomfortable when he complemented her hair. Seems harmless enough, right? I've also had to have talks with female employees as well for inappropriate comments that were bothering male employees. I could never believe the shit that would set people off, but you just never know. As a manager whether I agreed or not I still had to take the incident seriously and address it. As far as the Google employee, yea that one would be hard to come back from so I understand the firing.

That's fine if all politics are banned, but you know lefty issues get a pass. Hell at a place like Google they are probably encouraged.

An interesting interview with James Damore.

So Damore explains that his memo was actually a published document he wrote a month before in response to a secret Google meeting with longer term employees in which Google encouraged discrimination in favor of minorities and women, and he wanted to suggest better nondiscriminatory ways of achieving the same goals.

The Google staff did not respond, so he submitted it to a 'skeptics' forum and members of that form, without his permission, spread it throughout Google.

Then Google management targeted him for simply having the opinions he has, not because he spammed the entire Google org, which he did not do.

Facts sure do put a different spin on a story, dont they?

Last edited:
if "work" is perpetuating this fear people have of simply being able to talk freely then i would disagree, it certainly is a work issue.

An interesting interview with James Damore.

So Damore explains that his memo was actually a published document he wrote a month before in response to a secret Google meeting with longer term employees in which Google encouraged discrimination in favor of minorities and women, and he wanted to suggest better nondiscriminatory ways of achieving the same goals.

The Google staff did not respond, so he submitted it to a 'skeptics' forum and members of that form, without his permission, spread it throughout Google.

Then Google management targeted him for simply having the opinions he has, not because he spammed the entire Google org, which he did not do.

Facts sure do put a different spin on a story, dont they?

thank you. i was not aware of how it actually came about - aside from people calling it e-mail abuse.

There are people who feel uncomfortable with your views. Same with everyone. Think you should be fired when the people at your work learn what you post here?

Are you serious? You're actually comparing us posting on an anonymous forum to an employee who sends an internal memo to his coworkers? And someone agreed with you? lol

What will you say or do when your " LAST NAME" offends someone?

Forum List

Back