Our not-so-secure national security

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by MaggieMae, Jun 6, 2010.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Editor's Letter:
    "Sealing the borders"
    posted on June 3, 2010, at 1:30 PM

In 1986, the House of Representatives demanded that the Pentagon “seal the borders” within 45 days against illegal drugs. A quarter-century later, give or take 45 days, President Obama has ordered 1,200 National Guard troops to the border to fulfill the fantasy. The U.S. has 7,500 miles of border with Mexico and Canada. It has 88,000 miles of coastline. It has 300 ports and waterways handling more than 2 billion tons of cargo annually. And it has a zero-tolerance policy on illegal drugs and illegal immigrants. The consensus on immigrants is that roughly 12 million undocumented aliens are hiding here in plain sight. As for the volume of illegal drugs crossing the border, an informal survey of local high schools suggests infinity and beyond is a good estimate.

Given what zero tolerance has achieved thus far, you’d think we’d keep expectations low on the terrorism front. After all, al Qaida leaders could Google Nogales and Ciudad Juárez, and maybe the St. Lawrence Seaway, too. Is it really possible that a savvy, determined, well-financed terrorist can’t locate a back door that 12 million largely uneducated migrants—and who knows how many tons of mind-altering contraband—have already worn the hinges off? Seems a bit unlikely, no? And that’s presuming the bad guys lack homegrown helpers.

So we’re left with the enduring double conundrum of post-9/11 America: that the terrorists have been either too few, too incompetent, or too focused elsewhere to succeed at a task that doesn’t seem all that hard. And that we nevertheless are mystified every time one of them gets close enough to rattle our unbolted cage.

Francis Wilkinson

Editor's Letter: "Sealing the borders" - The Week

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Shucks, I thought this would be a good discussion topic. I should have given it a more snappy title, perhaps starting with BP TERROR PLOT! Or LOCAL MUSLIMS GET CASTRATED!!

3. Dixie

Dixie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I think it's a good topic.

I have a major beef when people talk about the Mexican/US border in the context of national security but ignore the thousands and thousands of miles unguarded along the Canadian/US border. Perhaps people think terrorists or weaponry would never come through the north. Eh? Yeah. We don't have any homegrown terrorists either. :rolleyes:

4. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Wouldn't you agree that the ratio of people illegally crossing the border is probably 1:10000 north versus south? How many drugs come into our country via Canada?

the fact is Canada is a much better neighbor than Mexico when it comes to policing who enters their country and so who can enter our country via their country. So sure it can happen, but the Southern border is the more immediate concern.

5. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Umm, more people from the middle east come to the US through Canada (which has a larger population of muslims than mexico) than come to the US through Mexico.

And while the canadians do a good job at the border checkpoints, that's not where the problem is. The problem is the unguarded sections of the border. Illegal immigrants, for the most part, are not going through the checkpoints.

6. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    As usual with you , you have no clue. How many Canadians are sneaking into the US? Very few.

As for people coming from other countries sneaking into Canada then sneaking into the US, that was the point I made. Canada is MUCH more careful about who gets into their country than Mexico is, so far less likely to see illegals from that border. Common sense really. I see how you couldn't comprehend it.

7. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. Dixie

Dixie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldn't throw numbers around willy nilly. My only point is that if we're serious about our borders in the context of national security, we need to talk about our northern border too.

9. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If conjob didn't make stuff up (like #'s) he wouldn't have anything to say

10. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Yes we do, but when the obvious border being exploited is the southern border, that should be the one we concentrate on first.