Our not-so-secure national security

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Editor's Letter:
"Sealing the borders"
posted on June 3, 2010, at 1:30 PM

In 1986, the House of Representatives demanded that the Pentagon “seal the borders” within 45 days against illegal drugs. A quarter-century later, give or take 45 days, President Obama has ordered 1,200 National Guard troops to the border to fulfill the fantasy. The U.S. has 7,500 miles of border with Mexico and Canada. It has 88,000 miles of coastline. It has 300 ports and waterways handling more than 2 billion tons of cargo annually. And it has a zero-tolerance policy on illegal drugs and illegal immigrants. The consensus on immigrants is that roughly 12 million undocumented aliens are hiding here in plain sight. As for the volume of illegal drugs crossing the border, an informal survey of local high schools suggests infinity and beyond is a good estimate.

Given what zero tolerance has achieved thus far, you’d think we’d keep expectations low on the terrorism front. After all, al Qaida leaders could Google Nogales and Ciudad Juárez, and maybe the St. Lawrence Seaway, too. Is it really possible that a savvy, determined, well-financed terrorist can’t locate a back door that 12 million largely uneducated migrants—and who knows how many tons of mind-altering contraband—have already worn the hinges off? Seems a bit unlikely, no? And that’s presuming the bad guys lack homegrown helpers.

So we’re left with the enduring double conundrum of post-9/11 America: that the terrorists have been either too few, too incompetent, or too focused elsewhere to succeed at a task that doesn’t seem all that hard. And that we nevertheless are mystified every time one of them gets close enough to rattle our unbolted cage.

Francis Wilkinson

Editor's Letter: "Sealing the borders" - The Week

Shucks, I thought this would be a good discussion topic. I should have given it a more snappy title, perhaps starting with BP TERROR PLOT! Or LOCAL MUSLIMS GET CASTRATED!!

Well, I think it's a good topic.

I have a major beef when people talk about the Mexican/US border in the context of national security but ignore the thousands and thousands of miles unguarded along the Canadian/US border. Perhaps people think terrorists or weaponry would never come through the north. Eh? Yeah. We don't have any homegrown terrorists either. :rolleyes:

I have a major beef when people talk about the Mexican/US border in the context of national security but ignore the thousands and thousands of miles unguarded along the Canadian/US border. Perhaps people think terrorists or weaponry would never come through the north. Eh? Yeah. We don't have any homegrown terrorists either. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't you agree that the ratio of people illegally crossing the border is probably 1:10000 north versus south? How many drugs come into our country via Canada?

the fact is Canada is a much better neighbor than Mexico when it comes to policing who enters their country and so who can enter our country via their country. So sure it can happen, but the Southern border is the more immediate concern.

Wouldn't you agree that the ratio of people illegally crossing the border is probably 1:10000 north versus south? How many drugs come into our country via Canada?

the fact is Canada is a much better neighbor than Mexico when it comes to policing who enters their country and so who can enter our country via their country. So sure it can happen, but the Southern border is the more immediate concern.

Umm, more people from the middle east come to the US through Canada (which has a larger population of muslims than mexico) than come to the US through Mexico.

And while the canadians do a good job at the border checkpoints, that's not where the problem is. The problem is the unguarded sections of the border. Illegal immigrants, for the most part, are not going through the checkpoints.

Umm, more people from the middle east come to the US through Canada (which has a larger population of muslims than mexico) than come to the US through Mexico.

And while the canadians do a good job at the border checkpoints, that's not where the problem is. The problem is the unguarded sections of the border. Illegal immigrants, for the most part, are not going through the checkpoints.

As usual with you , you have no clue. How many Canadians are sneaking into the US? Very few.

As for people coming from other countries sneaking into Canada then sneaking into the US, that was the point I made. Canada is MUCH more careful about who gets into their country than Mexico is, so far less likely to see illegals from that border. Common sense really. I see how you couldn't comprehend it.

As usual with you , you have no clue. How many Canadians are sneaking into the US? Very few.

I see you're still too dumb to read the thread and understand what the threads about

We're not talking about Canadians (or Mexicans for that matter) sneaking into the country. We're talking about terrorists sneaking into the country.

Try to keep up

As for people coming from other countries sneaking into Canada then sneaking into the US, that was the point I made. Canada is MUCH more careful about who gets into their country than Mexico is, so far less likely to see illegals from that border. Common sense really. I see how you couldn't comprehend it.

Boy are you dumb. There are already plenty of muslims living in Canada. 2% of the population us muslim. They don't have to sneak into Canada.

Try to keep up

Last edited:

I wouldn't throw numbers around willy nilly. My only point is that if we're serious about our borders in the context of national security, we need to talk about our northern border too.

I wouldn't throw numbers around willy nilly. My only point is that if we're serious about our borders in the context of national security, we need to talk about our northern border too.

If conjob didn't make stuff up (like #'s) he wouldn't have anything to say

Yes we do, but when the obvious border being exploited is the southern border, that should be the one we concentrate on first.

Editor's Letter:
"Sealing the borders"
posted on June 3, 2010, at 1:30 PM

In 1986, the House of Representatives demanded that the Pentagon “seal the borders” within 45 days against illegal drugs. A quarter-century later, give or take 45 days, President Obama has ordered 1,200 National Guard troops to the border to fulfill the fantasy. The U.S. has 7,500 miles of border with Mexico and Canada. It has 88,000 miles of coastline. It has 300 ports and waterways handling more than 2 billion tons of cargo annually. And it has a zero-tolerance policy on illegal drugs and illegal immigrants. The consensus on immigrants is that roughly 12 million undocumented aliens are hiding here in plain sight. As for the volume of illegal drugs crossing the border, an informal survey of local high schools suggests infinity and beyond is a good estimate.

Given what zero tolerance has achieved thus far, you’d think we’d keep expectations low on the terrorism front. After all, al Qaida leaders could Google Nogales and Ciudad Juárez, and maybe the St. Lawrence Seaway, too. Is it really possible that a savvy, determined, well-financed terrorist can’t locate a back door that 12 million largely uneducated migrants—and who knows how many tons of mind-altering contraband—have already worn the hinges off? Seems a bit unlikely, no? And that’s presuming the bad guys lack homegrown helpers.

So we’re left with the enduring double conundrum of post-9/11 America: that the terrorists have been either too few, too incompetent, or too focused elsewhere to succeed at a task that doesn’t seem all that hard. And that we nevertheless are mystified every time one of them gets close enough to rattle our unbolted cage.

Francis Wilkinson

Editor's Letter: "Sealing the borders" - The Week

When it comes to the drug trade, the harder they make it to get drugs across the border, the bigger incentive to find a way of getting them across.

The invisible hand of the market has been winning the war on drugs for the last 40 years.

Ironic that a nation proported to be run by capitalists, can't quite seem to get that dynamic, isn't it?

Why...it's almost like they WANT to get into expensive wars they know they can't win.

Last edited:

Yes we do, but when the obvious border being exploited is the southern border, that should be the one we concentrate on first.

More terrorists have come into the US through Canada than through Mexico

We're talking about terrorists sneaking into the US. Please try to pay attention

We're talking about terrorists sneaking into the US. Please try to pay attention

Please post a link to a single terrorist that has been proven to have sneaked across the Canadian/US border.

Now let's talk about illegals in general, which border is abused more? Oh , it isn't even close.

Please post a link to a single terrorist that has been proven to have sneaked across the Canadian/US border.

I will post that link if you promise to post a link to a single terrorist that has been proven to have sneaked across the Mexican/IS border. Fair enough?

Now let's talk about illegals in general, which border is abused more? Oh , it isn't even close.

No let's not go off track in order to cover up your inability to stay focused on the subject being discussed. This thread is about terrorists sneaking over the US/Canada border.

I will post that link if you promise to post a link to a single terrorist that has been proven to have sneaked across the Mexican/IS border. Fair enough?

No let's not go off track in order to cover up your inability to stay focused on the subject being discussed. This thread is about terrorists sneaking over the US/Canada border.

Why should I have to post a l ink? I'm not the one making claims about terrorists. i have not once said "more terrorists come across the Mexican border than the Canadian" you have said that about the Canadian border, so show me an invader from the North who became a terrorist....

Instead I said more CRIMINALS are coming in from the southern border than the northern, and that is true, it's not even close.

You are a fucking dimwit.

Why should I have to post a l ink?

You can't post a link. That is obvious because no terrorists have snuck through Mexico, but terrorists have come through Canada

I'm not the one making claims about terrorists.

This ENTIRE THREAD is about terrorists sneaking over the border from canada. If you're not talking about terrorists, what are you doing in this thread?

Instead I said more CRIMINALS are coming in from the southern border than the northern, and that is true, it's not even close.

Then I'm not to proud to admit that I made a mistake

I mistakenly thought you were smart enough to realize that this thread was about terrorists sneaking over the border from Canada. Terrorists, not other criminals

My bad for not realizing how stupid and illiterate you are

You can't post a link. That is obvious because no terrorists have snuck through Mexico, but terrorists have come through Canada

I'm not the one making claims about terrorists.

This ENTIRE THREAD is about terrorists sneaking over the border from canada. If you're not talking about terrorists, what are you doing in this thread?

I mistakenly thought you were smart enough to realize that this thread was about terrorists sneaking over the border from Canada. Terrorists, not other criminals

The VERY first post in this thread discussed sealing the border against drugs and terrorists, that to any person with a functioning brain indicates that the thread can be expanded to include OTHER criminals who are crossing the border illegally.

Not to mention that anyone with a functioning brain realizes that closing the border does not just positively affect the fight on terror.

I of course realize you don't qualify for having a functioning brain.

The VERY first post in this thread discussed sealing the border against drugs and terrorists, that to any person with a functioning brain indicates that the thread can be expanded to include OTHER criminals who are crossing the border illegally.

So I was right in the end. You're just too stupid and illiterate to realize this thread is about terrorists slipping over the border.

So I was right in the end. You're just too stupid and illiterate to realize this thread is about terrorists slipping over the border.

:rofl:

keep it coming, corkster! :thup:

:popcorn:

:rofl:

keep it coming, corkster! :thup:

:popcorn:

I've been on a lot of message boards , but I've never seen someone so convinced that they have won so many threads in which other people KNOW they lost as this Sangha fool.

It's amusing.

Forum List

Back