Our Efficient Government In Action

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Omigawd. It appears that the IRS does not even do a simple check to make sure the name on a direct deposit refund matches the return for which it was filed.

An Arizona man in jail for rape pulled a fast one on the IRS to the tune of $119,000 dollars. Troy Fears filed more than 117 fake tax returns from prison in Arizona and Maine from 2005 to 2009. ... A judge tacked another 4-years on to the convicted rapist's life sentence today.

It wasn't auditors who caught him. A prison guard intercepted some of his mail and called the feds. The key to the operation was direct deposits, which the IRS routes without making sure the name on the account matches the return, according to court papers.

TaxProf Blog: Jailed Rapist Gets $119k in Tax Refunds; Caught by Prison Guard, Not IRS

And we're supposed to make these people the Praetorian Guard for our health care system?

Our government has reached the point of being a big enterprise for collecting misdemeanor fines and taxes from law-abiding citizens, while completely ignoring (at best) or enabling actual crime.

Omigawd. It appears that the IRS does not even do a simple check to make sure the name on a direct deposit refund matches the return for which it was filed.

An Arizona man in jail for rape pulled a fast one on the IRS to the tune of $119,000 dollars. Troy Fears filed more than 117 fake tax returns from prison in Arizona and Maine from 2005 to 2009. ... A judge tacked another 4-years on to the convicted rapist's life sentence today.

It wasn't auditors who caught him. A prison guard intercepted some of his mail and called the feds. The key to the operation was direct deposits, which the IRS routes without making sure the name on the account matches the return, according to court papers.

TaxProf Blog: Jailed Rapist Gets $119k in Tax Refunds; Caught by Prison Guard, Not IRS

And we're supposed to make these people the Praetorian Guard for our health care system?

so what? your neighbor will get the kidney you're scheduled for....They'll walk it over;) what can go wrong?

I do not think anyone I have had direct deposit with matched name. the forms clearly stated it was my responsibility to ensure the riouting and acct number were correct on the form.

so the IRS is just like corporations :)

I do not think anyone I have had direct deposit with matched name. the forms clearly stated it was my responsibility to ensure the riouting and acct number were correct on the form.

B'loney. Proper accounting controls require verification of the recipient for disbursements. If my payables group did an "IRS" we'd get written up for a material weakness in our audit.

B'loney. Proper accounting controls require verification of the recipient for disbursements. If my payables group did an "IRS" we'd get written up for a material weakness in our audit.

No baloney. I just filled on out a few weeks ago. It clearly said it went by the bank routing number and account number only.

And that is not Just Like A Corporation, at least not one that wishes to pass an audit.

Not to mention he filed 117 returns and it was business as usual at the ol IRS ponderosa.

Business As Usual is the proper term.

BAU for the government is to enable transfer payments via legal and illegal means.

That's the attention to detail you get when someone is playing with other people's money.

Forum List

Back