Origins of Judaism (and everything that came from it)

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
"Looking at the ancient Semitic religion as it existed in the centuries before the time of the Hebrew emigration, one can find several interesting similarities to some aspects of Judaism. The ancient Semitic religion was polytheistic, but one of the main gods was known as “El”, which is similar to the Hebrew word for God, which is “Elohim”2. In fact, it is likely that ancient Judaism was also polytheistic, but where Elohim was the supreme God. One can even find stories in ancient Semitic writings that seem to have partially inspired Biblical stories such as the Great Flood, the Tower of Babel, and the Garden of Eden.

The more one looks at the details of ancient Semitic culture, religion, and language, the more clear it becomes that the Torah and Judaism originated as a cultural evolution from older beliefs and older scriptures. Probably nobody today believes that ancient Semitic scriptures are the word of God, and nor should they. These writings were compiled by ancient people who were just trying to make sense of life and who had very limited information to go with. It would be silly to believe, this day and age, that such scriptures are true. Despite this, probably hundreds of millions of people throughout the world believe that the scriptures that originated as a cultural evolution from the ancient Semitic beliefs are the word of God.

The scriptures that make up the Torah, the Tanakh, the Bible, are for the most part quite fancifully invented stories that were written by people thousands of years ago who had very limited information available to them. Their beliefs naturally changed over time, from century to century, but at a certain point their writings were copied more accurately and were then passed from generation to generation. This is how the Bible originated. It did not originate as the word of God. If more people understood ancient history better, then they would realize that the Bible is certainly not a book that one should base their life on. It is just one of many books that might have some wisdom, but it also has many flaws. We should all try to understand more about the ancient Semitic peoples and their customs and beliefs and how Judaism originated from this. We would all benefit from this understanding."
Pre-Jewish Ancient Semitic Religion

This certainly puts Shinto, Jainism, Hinduism, and Buhddism in their place.............................:rolleyes:

All religions evolved from some previous system. And they vastly predate the invention of writing, yet until that point we don't really have records of what defined them. But for some very negative things, some of the ancient Greek religions were good. Seems every male deity was a rapist unfortunately, but other than that...:)

"Looking at the ancient Semitic religion as it existed in the centuries before the time of the Hebrew emigration, one can find several interesting similarities to some aspects of Judaism. The ancient Semitic religion was polytheistic, but one of the main gods was known as “El”, which is similar to the Hebrew word for God, which is “Elohim”2. In fact, it is likely that ancient Judaism was also polytheistic, but where Elohim was the supreme God. One can even find stories in ancient Semitic writings that seem to have partially inspired Biblical stories such as the Great Flood, the Tower of Babel, and the Garden of Eden.

The more one looks at the details of ancient Semitic culture, religion, and language, the more clear it becomes that the Torah and Judaism originated as a cultural evolution from older beliefs and older scriptures. Probably nobody today believes that ancient Semitic scriptures are the word of God, and nor should they. These writings were compiled by ancient people who were just trying to make sense of life and who had very limited information to go with. It would be silly to believe, this day and age, that such scriptures are true. Despite this, probably hundreds of millions of people throughout the world believe that the scriptures that originated as a cultural evolution from the ancient Semitic beliefs are the word of God.

The scriptures that make up the Torah, the Tanakh, the Bible, are for the most part quite fancifully invented stories that were written by people thousands of years ago who had very limited information available to them. Their beliefs naturally changed over time, from century to century, but at a certain point their writings were copied more accurately and were then passed from generation to generation. This is how the Bible originated. It did not originate as the word of God. If more people understood ancient history better, then they would realize that the Bible is certainly not a book that one should base their life on. It is just one of many books that might have some wisdom, but it also has many flaws. We should all try to understand more about the ancient Semitic peoples and their customs and beliefs and how Judaism originated from this. We would all benefit from this understanding."
OMG! You continue to embarrass yourself with every new thread you start.
Even Avraham's father Terach was NOT a polytheist; neither was Ever.
OMG! I have no words for your ignorance.

As for basing one's life on the Torah, I would venture to say that the million or so people on earth who do live a far happier and fulfilling life than those who want to Rock & Roll All NIght.

In fact, I would love for you to reverse engineer history to where every Jew was fooled into believing in the Jewish Scriptures.
In order for you to do so, you would have to pinpoint about 3 successive generations of Jews who were illiterate enough to succumb to such a ruse.

"We're all naked in the eyes of God."

Stopped being embarassed in the eyes of other people a long time ago.

OMG! I have no words for your ignorance

You ever read the book of Jasher, you know the one that mentions how the sun stood still. According to legend, Tetrah, had 12 statues he would worship and thought they were Gods, you know from the 12 zodiac. So Abraham said the can't even eat, and he smashed them all. Then he heard a voice to leave the land of UR(moon worshippers) and venture out. He obviously fell into a group who believed in human sacrifice, the Phoenicians ?
most likely. IS(ISIS) RA( Egyptian God) EL (Jewish God) all together Israel.
As for basing one's life on the Torah, I would venture to say that the million or so people on earth who do live a far happier and fulfilling life than those who want to Rock & Roll All NIght.
Just another one of your misconceptions, most people do not live the torch, except for very Orthodox Jews, which are not in Israel) and the Babylon Talmud supersedes the Talmud. Maybe Jews are secular.
In fact, I would love for you to reverse engineer history to where every Jew was fooled into believing in the Jewish Scriptures.
In order for you to do so, you would have to pinpoint about 3 successive generations of Jews who were illiterate enough to succumb to such a ruse
Moses came down the mountain (according to the Jewish scriptures ) and said your either with me or not, and 3000 were killed that day by their brothers I guess that would do it.[/QUOTE]

You ever read the book of Jasher, you know the one that mentions how the sun stood still. According to legend, Tetrah, had 12 statues he would worship and thought they were God, you know from the 12 zodiac. So Abraham said the can't even eat, and he smashed them all. Then he heard a voice to leave the land of UR(moon worshippers) and venture out. He obviously fell into a group who believed in human sacrifice, the Phoenicians ?

Just another one of your misconceptions, most people do not live the torch, except for very Orthodox Jews, which are not in Israel) and the Babylon Talmud supersedes the Talmud. Maybe Jews are secular.

In order for you to do so, you would have to pinpoint about 3 successive generations of Jews who were illiterate enough to succumb to such a ruse

Moses came down the mountain (according to the Jewish scriptures ) and said your either with me or not, and 3000 were killed that day by their brothers I guess that would do it.

Penelope,
If I lived long enough to educate you, I would live more that twice as many years as I've lived already.
You are so clueless it isn't even worth trying to correct you.

You ever read the book of Jasher, you know the one that mentions how the sun stood still. According to legend, Tetrah, had 12 statues he would worship and thought they were God, you know from the 12 zodiac. So Abraham said the can't even eat, and he smashed them all. Then he heard a voice to leave the land of UR(moon worshippers) and venture out. He obviously fell into a group who believed in human sacrifice, the Phoenicians ?

Moses came down the mountain (according to the Jewish scriptures ) and said your either with me or not, and 3000 were killed that day by their brothers I guess that would do it.

Penelope,
If I lived long enough to educate you, I would live more that twice as many years as I've lived already.
You are so clueless it isn't even worth trying to correct you.

Perhaps you should try. The Jews were never monotheists, even their Kings make altars and worshipped other Gods. Now there were so many different kinds of Jews when Jesus came on the scene , pretty much like the Christians and Muslims of today. When they won a battle Yahweh was the supreme powerful God and they worshipped , but as pagans do they forget and committed adultery so many times, that God said that is it, no more temple.

"Perhaps you should try. The Jews were never monotheists, even their Kings make altars and worshipped other Gods. Now there were so many different kinds of Jews when Jesus came on the scene , pretty much like the Christians and Muslims of today. When they won a battle Yahweh was the supreme powerful God and they worshipped , but as pagans do they forget and committed adultery so many times, that God said that is it, no more temple."

This is a problem with Wikipedia, web-sites and not understanding Hebrew.
I highly recommend the Artscroll Millstein Edition of the Prophets
Example: ArtScroll.com - The Milstein Edition of the Later Prophets The Twelve Prophets Trei Asar

There were, at most, three schools of thought during the 2nd Temple.
Idol worship does not equal polytheism; in fact, Ba'al was by far the MOST popular monotheistic alternative to worshiping an unknowable God.
Ba'al mean "owner of", as in the power that owns and controls the universe.

Is it better to be happy, or correct?

I think that depends greatly on what the knowledge of correctness has to offer in place of happiness.

I suppose the best of both worlds *could* be had in the ability to work within the system, by which I mean function with the knowledge that the social mores of dominant belief systems (most of which, let's face it, are rooted in religion) are horribly flawed. That's an ability I don't have personally, BTW, or else I'd have made millions by now, like the Benny Hinns and Creflo Dollars of the world. Sometimes having a conscience just plain sucks. ;)

"Perhaps you should try. The Jews were never monotheists, even their Kings make altars and worshipped other Gods. Now there were so many different kinds of Jews when Jesus came on the scene , pretty much like the Christians and Muslims of today. When they won a battle Yahweh was the supreme powerful God and they worshipped , but as pagans do they forget and committed adultery so many times, that God said that is it, no more temple."

Example: ArtScroll.com - The Milstein Edition of the Later Prophets The Twelve Prophets Trei Asar

Idol worship does not equal polytheism; in fact, Ba'al was by far the MOST popular monotheistic alternative to worshiping an unknowable God.

You want me to read more rabitiacal writings, have I not read enough. Why not read Julian Jaynes , The cousinsious of the subconscious min

No its not a problem with WIKI as I don't use Wiki except for quick stuff. I certainty don't need to learn Hebrew but I do think reading some history might be in order for you. If one builds an altar to another God yes they believe in other Gods, its plain and simple. Most of the Jews in Bablylon didn't even return to Jerusalem when Cyrus freed them. There is not historical evidence of the exodus or many other things in the OT, I do believe the batlle stories are real. Its mainly based on tradition and legends. Even Jews will tell you that.

You want me to read more rabitiacal writings, have I not read enough. Why not read Julian Jaynes , The cousinsious of the subconscious min

No its not a problem with WIKI as I don't use Wiki except for quick stuff. I certainty don't need to learn Hebrew but I do think reading some history might be in order for you. If one builds an altar to another God yes they believe in other Gods, its plain and simple. Most of the Jews in Bablylon didn't even return to Jerusalem when Cyrus freed them. There is not historical evidence of the exodus or many other things in the OT, I do believe the batlle stories are real. Its mainly based on tradition and legends. Even Jews will tell you that.

You are either border line retarded or a liar when you state you have read anything regarding the Jewish Scriptures.
Your postings are embarrassingly fraudulent as they are rife with errors.

Don't start with the historical ambiguities until you can actually reference one line of Scripture without making an ass of yourself.

I'm neither, retarded or a liar. Now are you Jewish or Christian, I can't Imagine your a Christian as Christians do not resort to name calling and belittling people ,so I imagine your Jewish.

Deuteronomy 6:4New International Version (NIV)
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a]

Over and over and over again, so they wouldn't forget it, but they kept on committing adultery with other Gods.
They just could never learn.

I'm neither, retarded or a liar. Now are you Jewish or Christian, I can't Imagine your a Christian as Christians do not resort to name calling and belittling people ,so I imagine your Jewish.

Over and over and over again, so they wouldn't forget it, but they kept on committing adultery with other Gods.

Good...now find the multitude of verses where God tells Israel He will wait for their repentence no matter how long it takes.
Also look up the verse where God states that He loves the Children of Israel and doesn't care about the NUMBER of worshipers He has.
Also look up the verse where God states that 10 Jews will chase 100 evil non-Jews.

You see, you cherry pick your verses out of context and aren't worth educating because all you want to do is burn with Jew hatred.

Good...now find the multitude of verses where God tells Israel He will wait for their repentence no matter how long it takes.
Also look up the verse where God states that He loves the Children of Israel and doesn't care about the NUMBER of worshipers He has.
Also look up the verse where God states that 10 Jews will chase 100 evil non-Jews.

You see, you cherry pick your verses out of context and aren't worth educating because all you want to do is burn with Jew hatred.

Are you aware that book or books were wrote by Hebrews for Hebrews or Jews whatever they want to call themselves. They are not more special that anyone else on earth, except in their book. I do not worship their war God Yahweh, When they think they are better and or chosen they are wrong, God has no favorites least of all them, who kill children, and have abortions right and left. I think your the one cheery picking. verses. The OT is full of disgusting stuff. God had to finally call in King Cyrus. to free them, who were living so awful lifes in Babylon, when only 40000 returned with their SLAVES , the rest had it too good in Babylon I guess.

Are you aware that book or books were wrote by Hebrews for Hebrews or Jews whatever they want to call themselves. They are not more special that anyone else on earth, except in their book. I do not worship their war God Yahweh, When they think they are better and or chosen they are wrong, God has no favorites least of all them, who kill children, and have abortions right and left. I think your the one cheery picking. verses.

Quite incorrect.
20% of the Roman Empire converted to Judaism.
Many of our most important inter-generational links were converts.
Anybody can convert.
Even Ivana Trump.
My own community has at least 2 dozen converts.

Thank you for that sentence about killing children...you must HATE Muslims.

Of course we're special; why else would you hate us so much.
If we weren't special, nobody would know about us and we would be ignored.
But we're educated and influence society in a positive manner, so we're hated.

Speaking of embarrassments...

To Delta, Indeependent writes:

OMG! You continue to embarrass yourself with every new thread you start. [...]
OMG! I have no words for your ignorance. ...
Then to Penelope:

You are either border line retarded or a liar...
...you [...] aren't worth educating because all you want to do is burn with Jew hatred.

What is it with you and the incessant ad hominem?

Are you really so limited as to have to paint yourself as a one-trick pony in every conversation in which you've descended to grace with your presence?

Forum List

Back