Oregon Glacier Observation Station

mdn2000

Rookie
Sep 27, 2009
conservative hell california
It seems I was wrong on the severity of the problem, Old Crock was right. It is time we take the lost of the Arctic and Glacier ice seriously.

Attachments

• $Glacier research.png
    $Glacier research.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
What is that a graph of?

Mt Hood's glaciers are smaller every summer, from what i can see from my apartment. Is this reduction per year or something?

Central Oregon’s Vanishing Glacier | Joseph Friedrichs | Bend | New West Bend

Central Oregon’s Vanishing Glacier

By Joseph Friedrichs, 10-25-07

The Collier Glacier, one of Central Oregon’s most treasured natural possessions, is shrinking faster than most of the 35 other glaciers in the state, a team of geologists who spent time this summer exploring the region reported.

Ellen Morris Bishop, an Oregon-based geologist, told the Associated Press that the glaciers of the Oregon Cascades are in a “chaotic shrink” phase. And where do Bishop and her crew place the blame? Why global warming, of course.

• Banned

The Collier Glacier, one of Central Oregon’s most treasured natural possessions, is shrinking faster than most of the 35 other glaciers in the state, a team of geologists who spent time this summer exploring the region reported.

Ellen Morris Bishop, an Oregon-based geologist, told the Associated Press that the glaciers of the Oregon Cascades are in a “chaotic shrink” phase. And where do Bishop and her crew place the blame? Why global warming, of course.

You got to thank me for this, even you have to admit that graph is pretty funny.

What is that a graph of?

Mt Hood's glaciers are smaller every summer, from what i can see from my apartment. Is this reduction per year or something?

Not just Hood, but also Adams, Jefferson, and all of our snowcaps are losing ice. The biggest single area of glaciers in the lower 48, the North Cascades, is also losing ice.

What is that a graph of?

Unfortunately my skills attaching images is poor. Maybe its too big so its resized as a thumbnail.

You have to double click on the graph to see it.

Maybe you need to post the link to the article that the graph came from.

Global panic, Oregon loses 400 acres of ice in 160 years due to global warming, Scientist extrapolation of Collier Glacier data predict at least 10 acres of glacier lost in the much colder Arctic circle.

In the Three Sisters Wilderness Climbing

Glacier Notes: as global warming proceeds, year by year the Collier Glacier has shrunken. Currently it covers only about 200 acres. During the so-called Little Ice Age, the Collier was much larger; eg. about 1850 it was estimated to cover very nearly 600 acres. Additionally, the glacier's depth and activity level was much greater than at present. Please visit this resource for an extensive study of the glaciers of the American West, including many timelines showing historical photographs of glaciers on many peaks compared with current photographs

What is that a graph of?

Unfortunately my skills attaching images is poor. Maybe its too big so its resized as a thumbnail.

You have to double click on the graph to see it.

Maybe you need to post the link to the article that the graph came from.

Double click on the graph and you will see exactly where the graph came from. I am still laughing about the Collier Glacier, 400 acres of ice lost at 10,000 feet, pretty incredible that its so cold that tiny speck of ice has not completely melted a thousand years ago.

I have to say I started this thread as a joke, yet I would never of had Old Crock's response that shows there is NO GLOBAL WARMING IN OREGON, it is not even hot enough to melt a mere 600 acre glacier, that the glacier lost 400 acres is insignificant. It is easy to see without a link to a democrat-scientist still in school that where it is much colder its impossible to lose a greater percentage of ice. That speck of ice should of melted in the first week of spring if the earth was suffering from global warming.

mdn, you continue to be a clueless fuck. That loss represents nearly 70% by surface area, and probably over 90% by volume.

The North Cascade glaciers are far more extensive, and are also losing massive amount of ice.

NORTH CASCADE GLACIER CLIMATE PROJECT

Impact of global warming on Glacier Termini and Survival: I read in the 2002 North Cascades National Park-Natural Notes that: " More than 90 percent of the North Cascades glaciers could disappear within 40 years if the annual temperature increases by 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit)." We have observed the response of North Cascade glaciers to a climate change of nearly this magnitude at the end of the Little Ice Age and did not lose nearly 90% of the glaciers, nor did most of them finish their retreat, adjusting to the post Little Ice Age climate in less than 40 years. Thus, this figure is not correct. Annual mass balance surveys on ten glaciers in the North Cascades indicate that North Cascade glaciers have lost an average of 0.5 m of thickness each year from 1984-2007. This 13-14 m of glacier thickness lost is approximately 20-40 % of the entire volume of North Cascade glaciers, gone in twenty four years. The result is incredible changes in the size of our glaciers due to the warmer climate. What climate changes have we observed? What do recent trends suggest about the likely future of North Cascade glaciers?

mdn, you continue to be a clueless fuck. That loss represents nearly 70% by surface area, and probably over 90% by volume.

The North Cascade glaciers are far more extensive, and are also losing massive amount of ice.

NORTH CASCADE GLACIER CLIMATE PROJECT

Impact of global warming on Glacier Termini and Survival: I read in the 2002 North Cascades National Park-Natural Notes that: " More than 90 percent of the North Cascades glaciers could disappear within 40 years if the annual temperature increases by 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit)." We have observed the response of North Cascade glaciers to a climate change of nearly this magnitude at the end of the Little Ice Age and did not lose nearly 90% of the glaciers, nor did most of them finish their retreat, adjusting to the post Little Ice Age climate in less than 40 years. Thus, this figure is not correct. Annual mass balance surveys on ten glaciers in the North Cascades indicate that North Cascade glaciers have lost an average of 0.5 m of thickness each year from 1984-2007. This 13-14 m of glacier thickness lost is approximately 20-40 % of the entire volume of North Cascade glaciers, gone in twenty four years. The result is incredible changes in the size of our glaciers due to the warmer climate. What climate changes have we observed? What do recent trends suggest about the likely future of North Cascade glaciers?

How many trees can the lumber jack cut?

Instead of using the Oh So Scary 70%, just state the truth, you lost 400 acres of ice 4,943 kilometers south of the North Pole.

I imagine if global warming is directly responsible for 400 acres on the warm west coast of North America than its reasonable to calculate at the edge of the Arctic global warming is responsible for at least 132 square inches of ice lost.

St Helens lost the top 2000 feet of the mountain back then. It is considerably shorter.

I came back from school on Monday over the Marquem bridge when it was clear. Right now Mt Hood has an impressive load of snow up there. back in September it was mostly bare rock.

When I was a young un, back in the days when at least some folks was decent, Mt Hood had a large load of ice year round, even in the drought year of 1975.

But it wasn't that long ago that glaciers were all the way down to the valley floor as far south as Roseburg. There are moraines from back then with all kinds of interesting rocks that came from far away.

I love the arrogance of dumbfucks who think that global weather should stand still because they've grown accustomed to it.

Face it. The world warms and cools. It always has. You aren't going to stop it. Now grow the fuck up.

Forum List

Back