EPA is over the line & threading water.........

Discussion in 'Environment' started by shintao, Dec 8, 2010.

1. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Natural Gas Drillers being blamed for contaminated drinking water.

The EPA is unfairly targeting a Texas drilling company for local water contamination, when there is no proof they are responsible for the damage.

Yet there is no proof the drilling operation is the cause!!!

When will government get out of business's face.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    So the company doing the drilling believes there is no connection with the methane in well water and Their drilling?
    btw for those who may not know methane is natural gas.

Of course they will deny it.

Strip mine companies denied polltuing water and damaging water wells when they blasted within 1 mile of the wells too. The wells were fine for 40 years till they started blasting.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,416
    It will be interesting to see how this developes. Target zones are thousands of feet below aquifers and comingling or migration is practically impossible.

Why doesn't the EPA intervene and halt farming? So fucking hypocritical.

4. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I agree with the OP (and I'm a bit concerned about that).

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,383
    All one has to do is put 'fracking and aquifers' on google to get a bunch of horror stories.

EPA: 2 Parker County homes at risk of explosion after gas from 'fracked' well contaminates aquifer | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Regional News

EPA: 2 Parker County homes at risk of explosion after gas from 'fracked' well contaminates aquifer

08:47 AM CST on Thursday, December 9, 2010
    By RANDY LEE LOFTIS / The Dallas Morning News
    rloftis@dallasnews.com
    Natural gas from drilling that used the controversial practice of hydraulic fracturing has contaminated a drinking-water aquifer in Parker County, putting two homes at risk of explosion and triggering a federal emergency order, the EPA said Tuesday.

Also Online Blog: Energy and Environment

Link: EPA hydraulic fracturing information page

Get engergy industry news

Download: Read the letter from the EPA

Download: Emergency order from the EPA
    The Environmental Protection Agency ordered Fort-Worth based Range Production Co. to take steps to protect the families and water supplies after the Texas Railroad Commission, which regulates natural-gas drilling, failed to act, EPA Regional Administrator Al Armendariz said.

Railroad Commission officials "acknowledge that there is natural gas in the drinking-water wells," Armendariz said. "They want more data and believe that action now is premature. I believe I've got two people whose houses could explode. So we've got to move."

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,416
    Of the thousands of wells drilled in this manner, is there conclusive evidence of a direct correlation between the two?

Industry's stance is to let the science prove such. Until then, drilling will continue.

Individual states have in place very specific and restrictive rules with respect to drilling practices. Compliance is mandatory and closely monitored with inspectors on site during the cementing phases.

Shall we patently shut down all activity across the country? How about a moratorium ala Gulfbamagate?

States expend massive sums administering decades-old rules that are written into law, and they do it effectively. In doing so, they have "primacy" with respect to such laws. To have the EPA step in and attempt to circumvent a state's rights is redundant and counterproductive.

This issue with respect to hydraulic fracturing amounts to posturing by federal authority and serves no purpose whatsoever.

7. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    possum thinks frackin' must be sumpin' nasty - sounds like it...
    :confused:
    Fracking blowback spooks energy industry
    March 11, 2011: The energy industry has been taken aback by all the negative attention and protests over fracking and says it is looking for ways to improve.

8. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    How do you *thread* water?

When human drinking water is contaminated and a likely potential source of that contamination is identified, the reasonable and responsible course of action is to stop the operations that might be responsible until assessments can be made to determine to a whether or not there is any verifiable connection between those operations and the contaminated drinking water. The health and well being of the citizens of this nation are always a higher priority than the short-term profit margins of business. If there is no evidence of a connection, they've cleared their name and earned some precedential ammunition against future unsubstantiated claims against them. If their operations are found to be connected to the contamination, then reparations deservedly need to be made and new means of operation must be followed,...I see nothing wrong with that, do you?

9. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,416
    Yes I do. It's called agriculture. Probably the single most wide-ranging heavily polluting industry. And it's more unstoppable than Denzel Washington perched atop a speeding locomotive.

10. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I, personally, think the issue of fracking is a bit overblown. When and where direct and compelling evidences of connection exist, then of course, responsible parties should be held liable, particularly when there are traces of drilling fluids and other indications that recovery operations directly contaminated aquifer/ground-water reservoirs. Unfortunately, too many of the "horror stories" I've seen trumpetted on the internet are far from this level of direct and compelling evidences of connection. I don't find various levels of methane in ground water to be a particularly strong piece of evidence against any drilling company,...on its own, even if its a recent occurence,...especially if there are underlying pockets of methane, which I presume due to the fact that the drilling teams are spending money trying to recover methane in the area. The best way to get this issue properly addressed may well be to have the EPA do some solid research, perhaps contracting it out to several of the big drilling companies with assigned EPA appointed researchers to better define and explore the problem and give industry some good guidelines and regulations to follow in such recovery operations.