Oregon family uses medical marijuana to manage son's autistic rage

Get a child started early enough and they will be lifelong addicts. That's the way liberals want it.

Get a child started early enough and they will be lifelong addicts. That's the way liberals want it.

Why are you making this about liberals? Did you watch the video, read the article? Do you have an informed opinion on the subject of autism treated with medical marijuana?

Let me get this straight (pardon the Pun), they force their child to inhale the noxious smoke from a marijuana cigarette to manage his behavior? God help us when the media supports this crap.

Let me get this straight (pardon the Pun), they force their child to inhale the noxious smoke from a marijuana cigarette to manage his behavior? God help us when the media supports this crap.

Nope. But thanks for providing proof you didn't read the article. :clap2:

Yeah right, marijuana laced brownies to control outbursts. What a concept. There are thousands of legitimate prescription drugs to control autistic anger and they make a whole lot more sense to administer than randomly lacing brownies with marijuana leaves. What about the rest of the symptoms manifested in the word "tuberous" which means tumors? Is the kid getting any real help?

Relax. In ten years the kid will have hacked his parents to death and the lot of them will be gone. No one looks at these violent outbursts and connection to childhood drug use. Maybe they'd rather not know.

Yeah right, marijuana laced brownies to control outbursts. What a concept. There are thousands of legitimate prescription drugs to control autistic anger and they make a whole lot more sense to administer than randomly lacing brownies with marijuana leaves. What about the rest of the symptoms manifested in the word "tuberous" which means tumors? Is the kid getting any real help?

There was no mention of brownies, either. You're serious about not reading that article, huh. :razz:

I will have to talk to my son's psychiatrist about this. Since he's moved away from home, he's become more violent and he's even attacked his caregivers. He never did that at home. If marijuana helps him hold it together, why not?

I have thought about the same thing when it comes to other disorders. I don't think heavy doses are needed, but in pill form with monitoring it could work. I would for sure ask your doctor.

That could make him a zombie? And that could take years to figure out which one might work, or which one would make it worse?
I do love how some are okay with giving people a class 4 narc, but god forbid someone try a non addictive natural drug that cannot kill you if you take too much.

I would absolutely try this if my son exhibited the self-harming behavior Alex does. When my (autistic range) son went into rages when he was a kid he would slam his head against the wall or floor or even a cement patio. When we told the doctor about this his advice was to move him away from the wall (oh gee, thanks doc! we never thought to do that :rolleyes:) and he was adamant that we not interfere because that would just reinforce the behavior and not to worry because he would never hit his head hard enough to do any damage. Yeah, right.

Why in the world do some of you think that some 'prescribed' drug is better or has less side effects than pot? Many of the drugs that are prescribed for kids shouldn't be. And when you're too lazy to even bother watching the clip you just make yourself look like an ass making statements like forcing the kid to inhale or eating laced brownies or that in ten years he'll have hacked his parents to death. Cripes some of you can be such jackasses.

My heart goes out to that family and to Alex. It's almost as if his head hurt so badly that he just wanted it to stop and his self-injurious behavior was his attempt to get it to stop. Did anyone note the last sentence the family said? 'Walk a mile in their shoes and the treatment might not seem so extreme'. Until/unless you've walked that mile some of you who have only negatives things to post might want to keep your mind more opened and your mouth more closed.

My son is in the process of being diagnosed with ADHD, and some recommend medication, some don't.
I don't think I am ready to give my five year old marijuana, but I had a thought the other day. What about low doses in pill form for older children with ADHD? Just a little could calm them down.

Luissa, when my son was small we found that ibuprofen would often calmed him. Same with caffeine. Never understood it exactly. Docs we saw all wanted him on Risperdal or Ritalin type drugs. The side effects were awful but the docs just brushed those off as no big deal. Yeah, it's never a big deal till it's your kid. We changed his diet (he was gluten free for four years or so) which helped. Don't know if that is something you've looked into or not but there's lots of info out there about it.

Forum List

Back