Oregon Bakers: You get to pay 135,000 for being radical religious morons, Judge so orders!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Baz Ares, Dec 29, 2017.

1. WorldWatcher

WorldWatcher Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,108

Based on who the customers were.

>>>>

2. Aba Incieni

Aba Incieni Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Looks pretty queer to me, but you're the expert on gay rights.

I've quoted the baker as stating that they serve gays, but you edited my post in your response. Sum ting wong with this story.

3. WorldWatcher

WorldWatcher Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    It's for a different-sex couples wedding (it's from Masterpiece Cakeshop catalog).

So if a same-sex couple orders the same cake, what then makes it "gay themed"?

The fact that they may have sold them other products is irrelevant. The baker confirmed in the Statement of Facts to the court that they refused to sell them a Wedding Cake (a product they normally sold).

Providing all products and services to one group while limiting the same products and services to another another group is a clear violation of the law. I've posted the Oregon statutes for you, the law requires full and equal access to goods and services, not a subset of goods and services.

>>>>

4. Aba Incieni

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    So if I go back and find the baker stating that they serve gay people, you lose your point and the discussion.

5. WorldWatcher

WorldWatcher Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,108

If you go back and find that the baker agree to sell them a Wedding Cake just like other customers, then sure. But then their would have been no legal complaint or follow on legal proceedings.

However, ...

The fact that they may have sold them other products is irrelevant.

Providing all products and services to one group while limiting the same products and services to another another group is a clear violation of the law. I've posted the Oregon statutes for you, the law requires full and equal access to goods and services, not a subset of goods and services.

>>>>

6. Aba Incieni

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    You've lost your point. He serves gays. He would not sell the cake they desired to a straight person. Nor would they write, "Fuck you, nigglers," although I believe that's covered under free speech laws.

Are you saying they would only sell them cupcakes?

7. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,930
  8. WorldWatcher

WorldWatcher Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    The fact that they may have sold them other products is irrelevant.

[​IMG]

If a different-sex couple came in and selected this cake design from his catalog - he would sell it to them.

If a same-sex couple came in and selected this cake design from his catalog - he would not sell it to them.

There is no difference in the cake, the only customers.

Totally different issue.

Your attempted strawman argument fails in view of facts agreed to by the bakers, there was never any discussion of design at the Wedding Cake tasting appointment since service was refused as soon as Mr. Klein understood that the party Ms. Klein invited included 2 brides.

>>>>

9. Aba Incieni

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    The bakery would not sell that same cake to a hetero couple. Why should a gay couple deserve something that would not be sold to a straight couple?

Is it because gay people are special people?

10. WorldWatcher

WorldWatcher Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    The cake image is from the Masterpiece Cakeshop catalog of cakes they sell to different-sex couples. Mr. Phillips of Masterpiece Cakeshop is the Colorado baker that refused to sell a Wedding Cake to a same-sex couple.

So your saying that one of the bakers that refused to sell a Wedding Cake to a same-sex couple wouldn't sell a cake from their Wedding Cake Catalog to a different-sex couple is just beyond weird.

>>>>