Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

Safety glass was never mandated by the government before somebody invented it and it was already in wide use. Who in their right mind would choose anything different when it is needed?

talk to Dean.....he knows the answer to that question.....
I don't know if he does or not, but in 1977 Federal law set the rules on safety glass....not because they "wanted" to but because apparently manufacturers weren't widely using it.

Guess what will happen if there are enough people that don't like the light given off? The free market will come up with a way to fix that while still meeting the energy standard.

:lol:

I love it when left-wing progressives herald the free-market as a some sort of panacea.

The irony is so thick you could scoop it with a spoon.

I love it when left-wing progressives herald the free-market as a some sort of panacea.

I'm sorry my actual viewpoints don't conform to your narrow minded stereotypes of what you'd like my viewpoints to be.

The market has already been producing CFL's that get closer and closer to the spectrum of incandescents. The new law provides obvious financial incentive to produce technology that makes them even closer. Do you deny that financial incentive motivates business?

Last edited:
I'm sorry my actual viewpoints don't conform to your narrow minded stereotypes of what you'd like my viewpoints to be.

No need to apologize for your ignorance, I harbor no such expectations concerning your viewpoints.

The market has already been producing CFL's that get closer and closer to the spectrum of incandescents. The new law provides obvious financial incentive to produce technology that makes them even closer. Do you deny that financial incentive motivates business?

Talk about warped logic... Government regulation bolsters free-market incentive. :lmao:

No need to apologize for your ignorance, I harbor no such expectations concerning your viewpoints.

Talk about warped logic... Government regulation bolsters free-market incentive. :lmao:

Well sometimes it does look like that, but usually if you look below the surface, the regulation is either affecting the competition negatively, or somebody is getting paid out of the people's treasury to conform to the regulations, or the government has succeeded in taking control of even more of the people's everybody existence. But those who think this is what the government is for point to "progress" with pride.

what is this $50.00 bulb?

Oh and if anyone wants incandecents, i have cases ready to sell at overinflated prices when they are no longer made, and all my bulbs were made in the USA!

A side note: I actually use the obamabulbs (CFL bulbs) in my house and have been using them for over 10 years. I dont do it to save the planet, I did it because they dont burn out and make my electric bill cheaper.
Why do you call them Obamabulbs? Bushbulbs would be more accurate.

How about congressbulbs? Maybe, dumbpeoplewhovoteouttheirbuttbulbs? :D

congresbulbs is actually the most accurate.

:)

The ones i have in my house were bought 3 years ago and they are still running fine. Disposal may not be a huge issue since the last so damn long.

We've been using them, especially in our mutliple bulb light fixtures, for a long time too. But we already have had to dispose of several bulbs. Just three or four little bulbs. But multiply those three by millions. . . .

Plus when everybody who isn't hoarding incandescents is forced to use them, there will be many many more.

I honestly have a case of 60w, 75w, and 100w incandescents in my basement....im waiting to sell them for good money on ebay ;).

i did this with some mach3 razors one time and made almost $500.00 in 2 weeks......and when i say made i mean profit, not revenue ;).

Very interesting way to make a few dollars :cool:

Which part of the constitution allows individual rights to coprorations?

Explain how the government can violate the rights of a corporation without violating the rights of the people who own them.

Which part allows the regulation of drugs both prescription and non prescription?

No part. the federal government has no business regulating drugs of any kind.

Which part allows prohibiting the marriage of gays?

None, but marriage laws are a state issue. The 10th Amendment protects the right of states to implement marriage laws.

Last edited:
NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs.
LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms - Yahoo! News

So...exactly which part of the Constitution covers 'mandating which light bulbs Americans can use'?
(in 2007, Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress)

Is that after the 'toilet bowl amendment'? ("When the federal government mandated that new toilets use no more than 1.6 gallons per flush,...")

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

LED Bulbs Get Brighter As Ban Looms

Get that? The bulb produces so much heat, it's used in an "oven" to bake.

However, 60-watt bulbs are the big prize, since they're the most common. There are 425 million incandescent light bulbs in the 60-watt range in use in the U.S. today, said Zia Eftekhar, the head of Philips' North American lighting division. The energy savings that could be realized by replacing them with 10-watt LED bulbs is staggering.

Oops.

I wonder why the right is addicted to lying to America? Odd that.

Right-Wing Media Still Misinforming About Money-Saving, Energy-Efficient Light Bulbs

We keep a light on in the kitchen 24/7 since one of the people living here is 77 years old. It's in an adjustable cone shaped lamp that sits on the kitchen table. We use it to read by. It's very bright and it did cost 40 bucks. But it's cool and very bright. It's so amazing that when you touch it, it feels cool. You don't have to worry about burning your hand and it's rated for 50,000 hours. That's 5 years. At 90% less power.

Regular bulbs are rated at 1,500 hours. That means we were changing this bulb about 6 times a year.

So, 90% less power and don't have to change it for 5 years? It contains no mercury and the parts can be recycled. Do the math. By time I have to change it again, they will probably cost $5.

I think it's hilarious you could "bake" with a bulb using 100 year old technology. Conservatives do like to stick with the old ways. I guess we should be lucky they aren't campaigning for candles made from whale blubber.

Osram-Sylvania-LED-A-Line-LED.jpg

One by one, leading lighting manufacturers are rolling out LED replacements for those increasingly obsolete incandescents. The latest comes from Osram Sylvania with its new 14-watt A Line LED bulb, the Ultra A19, designed to replace the 100-watt incandescent.
According to Sylvania, the latest addition to its A-Line series produces 1,500 lumens and provides up to 86% energy savings over its incandescent counterpart.

Sylvania's New LED 100 Watt Replacement

Forum List

Back