Opting in/out of @Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, bullshit /she said politely

I don't like it, don't need it. That's what the 'new posts' and 'active threads' are links for. If I thought your thread was worth visiting, I would do so.

If your sense of "togetherness" goes part-n-parcel with people wishing you would knock it the hell off, then yeah. Togetherness it is.

I seriously think that feature pisses people off more than anything. :D

If people were as important as they were making themselves and their posts out to be, then their followers would just go "Oh, there's that brilliant fellow again, I wonder what he's been up to. I shall click on his profile and hit 'all threads started by.'"

We're not stupid, we don't need a trail of bread crumbs. If we want to see what you've got to say, we know how to find out.

Yeah, bullshit /she said politely

I don't like it, don't need it. That's what the 'new posts' and 'active threads' are links for. If I thought your thread was worth visiting, I would do so.

If your sense of "togetherness" goes part-n-parcel with people wishing you would knock it the hell off, then yeah. Togetherness it is.

I seriously think that feature pisses people off more than anything. :D

If people were as important as they were making themselves and their posts out to be, then their followers would just go "Oh, there's that brilliant fellow again, I wonder what he's been up to. I shall click on his profile and hit 'all threads started by.'"

We're not stupid, we don't need a trail of bread crumbs. If we want to see what you've got to say, we know how to find out.

It does have to do with arrogance. The strange part is if you don't ever make your way to their posts, they think it's because you're the stupid one.

Delusions of grandeur.

I like getting the invites. I don't go to all of them right away but eventually I read them and feel flattered I was invited to something! It's a nice surprise! my 2 cents...

I like the individual mention feature to discuss a post i may have made or someone answering a question I may have asked in a forgotten thread. I don't like the mass notification feature used merely to share some story someone saw on the interwebz :talktothehand:

I like getting the invites. I don't go to all of them right away but eventually I read them and feel flattered I was invited to something! It's a nice surprise! my 2 cents...

It's been my experience that the vast majority of people I have asked have told me that that they either really like the @ function or they don't mind I I mention them. I use it sometimes twice a week, or sometimes once in every two weeks, depending on what's up.

And I don't mind other people mentioning me, I assume they mean it out of good will, and if I get to the thread and figure out it's not really for me, then I just leave the thread, no big deal.

I mean, the @ function is actually a pretty neat clerical option, imo.

J, you're probably in the majority. It's just that those of us who don't like it, REALLY don't like it.

Yes, bdboop, your message is coming over loud and clear. You told me months ago that you did not like the @ function and I dropped your name from the list immediately, per your request.

J, you're probably in the majority. It's just that those of us who don't like it, REALLY don't like it.

What I am going to do and what might be a good idea for others, BD, is to ask people first by email. It is an easy question. I'm thinking of using @mentions on some threads and want to know if you are alright with @ mentions or not. Yes or no.

It is a headstart already to know that you and Sarah and some others do not wish to be added to those lists. I can understand both pov's. I have a friend who flips if they get a mass email type letter. Its up to the individual.

Yes, bdboop, your message is coming over loud and clear. You told me months ago that you did not like the @ function and I dropped your name from the list immediately, per your request.

Some @-holes have to be told more than once.

I was very polite the first time I told Wake. Sent him a pos rep with my request not to be included. But that didn't stop him from doing it again.

What I am going to do and what might be a good idea for others, BD, is to ask people first by email. It is an easy question. I'm thinking of using @mentions on some threads and want to know if you are alright with @ mentions or not. Yes or no.

It is a headstart already to know that you and Sarah and some others do not wish to be added to those lists. I can understand both pov's. I have a friend who flips if they get a mass email type letter. Its up to the individual.

You could pick a few whom you think it would be meaningful for, to help get the ball rolling, so the thread gets bumped and then more people will have a chance to see it as it grows in an organic way.

That way the people who are @-ed will know they are chosen for meaningful reasons and not just as part of a spammer list.

Last edited:
I will make sure and write down the names of folks who say they don't like them. That saves the email question. - J.

I was very polite the first time I told Wake. Sent him a pos rep with my request not to be included. But that didn't stop him from doing it again.

Oh, I don't know, Amelia, sometimes a person can forget something. To err is human. But each person has a right to either like or dislike or be just plain old neutral about the @ function. It's just not the end of the world for me. Just one blip on a very large radar screen of life.

I have found that to be the most effective way for most posters to remember who doesn't wish to be included in Mentions. PM them, with the request. :thup:

I don't mind the @-mentions but it DOES seem like they've been 'over-utilized' a bit in recent weeks.

Perhaps it's just that I'm only and just now making some of those informal mental circulation lists while others may have been dealing with it longer.

For now, I'm OK with it.

I may have a different opinion in a few months or a year or more.

You could pick a few whom you think it would be meaningful for, to help get the ball rolling, so the thread gets bumped and then more people will have a chance to see it as it grows in an organic way.

That way the people who are @-ed will know they are chosen for meaningful reasons and not just as part of a spammer list.

That's a great idea! It doesn't have to be a big list. Not every thread interests all people anyhow. A small list of people who would be interested would generate more replies in the long run.

Stat? Stop sucking all the oxygen out of the room. I was talking to Jere.

its an in-you-face :poke: way to get attn to your threads. Everyone knows my visceral hatred for the social threads :afro: , and this seems like a way to drag me into the same type of feel-good threads :puke: . Thanks but no thanks for the mass @ mentions. Leave me out :eusa_snooty:

I will make sure and write down the names of folks who say they don't like them. That saves the email question. - J.

If you ever want to @ me because you think you have a thread I would be particularly interested in, I wouldn't mind.

I don't want to be part of a cattle call. Especially from someone whom I've already asked to not include me in that.

lol -- I should probably just say I don't ever want @'s. But truth is, I don't mind them sometimes. When there's some thought behind the list. Or from someone I have a positive relationship with.

I don't mind the @-mentions but it DOES seem like they've been 'over-utilized' a bit in recent weeks.

Perhaps it's just that I'm only and just now making some of those informal mental circulation lists while others may have been dealing with it longer.

For now, I'm OK with it.

I may have a different opinion in a few months or a year or more.

I do use it rarely, for those posters I know don't mind. I do it when I know it is something they would appreciate, based upon previous experiences with them. I would like them to PM me, if I am reading them incorrectly. I am not here to offend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back