Open letter to the membership

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope USMB doesn't go by the way-side.
I came here from a large forum that was every bit as busy as this one - 100's of people online at a time. It was rated I think it was number 7 in the top ten political forums in 2008.
Now it is lucky if there are 10 on at a time. All happened in a little over a year.
Don't think it can't happen here.

It's been my observation, that if you pay people no mind, and don't bait them, they go away.
I've seen this board go through a few ownership changes, and format changes, I always come back, mainly because the core group has remained intact. I don't get into pissing matches with other members, and try to be positive, as hard as I find that to be at times.

I've never used the ignore feature on ANY of the boards I'm a member on, seems, well, defeatist really.

I don't see this influx of new members as a negative, but as a positive.:welcome:

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I'm just a little troll, and everywhere I go people know the part I'm playin', (diddly ump, diddly ump.) Post in every thread, to aggravate instead, of makin' any point, just sayin'.
There will come a day, when I will fade way, what'll ya do without me? When the end comes I know, I was just a little troll, live goes on without me.

Oh, I am just nobody, nobody, nobody cares for me, nobody, nobody.
I'm so sad and homely, so homely, so homely, won't some body, care for me, won't someone care for me.....

hilbilly girl or whatever that troll calls it self....would be one...

i havent been posting here due to working and such but i still drop by and read posts etc...

i have seen boards crashed quickly....if it happens it will happen....i hope not....but people are gonna do what people are gonna do

Dear USMB members,

I feel much like saveliberty does.

I like coming to this message board and want to continue. So that is why I am going to find a way to weed through the threads to find ones that would better suit me. I know that y'all are not going to change. The situation here on these boards is not going to change for me until I look within and make the changes necessary in me. I know I can visit these boards and enjoy my time here.

masquerade

P.S. Smile and surround yourself with positive people.
Using the Ignore feature has significantly improved the USMB experience for me. When I see that a participant simply isn't worth the time and space his messages waste I add him to my Ignore list and he's gone from me.

For those who don't know how to do it; goto USER CP and scroll down on the left to EDIT IGNORE LIST. Just click on that and the rest is obvious.

i dont use the ignore.....i just use indifference
Some participants are categorical shit-slingers. These typically are little weasels who wouldn't dare speak aggressively in face-to-face discussion so they discharge their smart-ass nonsense from the safety of distance and anonymity. The problem is they take up space and some of them are serial annoyances who turn what could be a three-page thread into five or six pages.

Ignore blows them away. It's like stepping over dog-shit without needing to look twice or break your stride.

A good old fashioned shunning? Why not? I can see where a good 1/2 of those currently posting would be about right for an ignore list. I've never used ignore, is there a limit?

Here's an idea: Someone start a thread titled Ignore Lists, post the list, and we can all just keep adding to it. They might just get the message.

self-restraint would help more.

without the eager troll hunting beavers that shit would dry up.
Yup...seen too many times on other boards that people respond to someone's post with the message that they are on their ignore list...go figure.

Your post, Saveliberty, and other posts in this thread has almost swayed me to stay put. But, I'm having a really hard time with the head waitress telling me to take my business elsewhere. Wouldn't I be a schmuck if I stayed? Or would I be a troll for staying because I know she hopes I don't?

Still mulling. Decisions decisions. Am I biting off my own nose to spite my own face? I like quite a few folks here. Even the controversial ones. The nasties..not so much. I can put them on ignore (I doubt if I will bother..I'll just scroll past instead or not even open the thread if they authored it)...but that Head Waitress thing really bugs me. That's what I'm mulling over.

Personally, if I were the restaurant/bar owner, I'd fire her ass for running off the customers. But that's me.

Last edited:
Your post, Saveliberty, and other posts in this thread has almost swayed me to stay put. But, I'm having a really hard time with the head waitress telling me to take my business elsewhere. Wouldn't I be a schmuck if I stayed? Or would I be a troll for staying because I know she hopes I don't?

Still mulling. Decisions decisions. Am I biting off my own nose to spite my own face? I like quite a few folks here. Even the controversial ones. The nasties..not so much. I can put them on ignore (I doubt if I will bother..I'll just scroll past instead or not even open the thread if they authored it)...but that Head Waitress thing really bugs me. That's what I'm mulling over.

Personally, if I were the restaurant/bar owner, I'd fire her ass for running off the customers. But that's me.

Head waitress? Interesting term. We have bouncers too. Oh and I have run no one off, I have banned some idiots..but running off is the wrong term

Head waitress? Interesting term. We have bouncers too

So go grab one to assist you since you're not strong enough to do it yourself. Too bad so sad.

Dear USMB friends,

I can't help but see some disturbing trends here on USMB as of late. The large numbers of trolls have clogged threads with unneccessary posts. Posting has dropped in volume as I (and I assume others) have found fewer threads worth posting in. Even reading many of them has become burdensome.

There is a rise in the polarity of political divisions. I am not sure what can be done. Here's hoping we can find ways to be more positive and constructive. My only other alternative is to post even less. Not an option I want to consider.

saveliberty

P.S. Smile and seize the day.

What's your point? Oh ... you want some CENSORSHIP, right? Yet, the second myself or one of the mods tells someone to knock off their BS, the reaction is akin to the 2nd American Revolution -- badmouthing the board and my mods.

This is the USA. You have freedom of choice. You CHOOSE to respond to idiots/trolls, then expect and idiot/troll response.

Think we're more politically divisive than the 1820's -1850's?

Buy a History book. Preferably, not a leftwingnut revisionist history one.

So go grab one to assist you since you're not strong enough to do it yourself. Too bad so sad.

I am strong enough to be fair and be very patient and also confident enough not to allow a fool like you to get to me.

And without repercussion could have banned you today, why are you tempting the powers that be?

Many are new, but some are long standing members. I'm in. How big an ignore list can you have?

A good old fashioned shunning? Why not? I can see where a good 1/2 of those currently posting would be about right for an ignore list. I've never used ignore, is there a limit?

Here's an idea: Someone start a thread titled Ignore Lists, post the list, and we can all just keep adding to it. They might just get the message.

The trolls would like that attention. Not responding is the best way.

I dont even any problem here.

Respond to what you want to respond to and ignore the rest.

No problem

Wrong. You DO have a problem here. You have a problem with reality if you are in real life who you represent yourself as on this board. You're a waste of bandwidth as far as I'm concerned.

You couldn't contribute to the recipe for boiling eggs.

I haven't been posting much lately myself. I agree it's hard to find something really worth a response. When I log in (which is at least once a day) and I see some 500+ new posts, I don't feel like looking at everything. I may make one post, but then I log out.

Your leftwing freedom of speech in action Granny. When you teach your leftwing peers to understand that with freedom comes responsibility, you let me know. Until then, quit bitching about sowing that which you reap.

I hope USMB doesn't go by the way-side.
I came here from a large forum that was every bit as busy as this one - 100's of people online at a time. It was rated I think it was number 7 in the top ten political forums in 2008.
Now it is lucky if there are 10 on at a time. All happened in a little over a year.
Don't think it can't happen here.

2008?:eusa_hand:

I am strong enough to be fair and be very patient and also confident enough not to allow a fool like you to get to me.

And without repercussion could have banned you today, why are you tempting the powers that be?

Your idea of fair doesn't quite mesh with mine. It's all a matter of opinion, isn't it?
Go ahead and ban me if it makes you feel all powerful. And the "tempting" comment? If you feel that intimidated by assuming that, then do your thang. I will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back