Open letter to the membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

saveliberty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
Dear USMB friends,

I can't help but see some disturbing trends here on USMB as of late. The large numbers of trolls have clogged threads with unneccessary posts. Posting has dropped in volume as I (and I assume others) have found fewer threads worth posting in. Even reading many of them has become burdensome.

There is a rise in the polarity of political divisions. I am not sure what can be done. Here's hoping we can find ways to be more positive and constructive. My only other alternative is to post even less. Not an option I want to consider.

saveliberty

P.S. Smile and seize the day.

Dear USMB members,

I feel much like saveliberty does.

I like coming to this message board and want to continue. So that is why I am going to find a way to weed through the threads to find ones that would better suit me. I know that y'all are not going to change. The situation here on these boards is not going to change for me until I look within and make the changes necessary in me. I know I can visit these boards and enjoy my time here.

masquerade

P.S. Smile and surround yourself with positive people.

We really should have a bipartisan agreement to just ignore the obvious trolls.

Many are new, but some are long standing members. I'm in. How big an ignore list can you have?

A good old fashioned shunning? Why not? I can see where a good 1/2 of those currently posting would be about right for an ignore list. I've never used ignore, is there a limit?

The problem with the disrupting trolls is you don't really know until you've read several postings whether their intention is legit or not. I usually try to give newbies the benefit of the doubt.

It would help if some of those who post here the most often and can recognize names and/or styles from some other boards could list their names. Or, if you post in the middle of the night and have discovered a troll long before the rest of us know that, give a heads up. (And vice versa.) That way, I, personally, would avoid them altogether and not get sucked into wasting time reading a dozen posts before I see what they're up to.

We really should have a bipartisan agreement to just ignore the obvious trolls.

Many are new, but some are long standing members. I'm in. How big an ignore list can you have?

A good old fashioned shunning? Why not? I can see where a good 1/2 of those currently posting would be about right for an ignore list. I've never used ignore, is there a limit?

Here's an idea: Someone start a thread titled Ignore Lists, post the list, and we can all just keep adding to it. They might just get the message.

Here's an idea: Someone start a thread titled Ignore Lists, post the list, and we can all just keep adding to it. They might just get the message.

self-restraint would help more.

without the eager troll hunting beavers that shit would dry up.

The problem with the disrupting trolls is you don't really know until you've read several postings whether their intention is legit or not. I usually try to give newbies the benefit of the doubt.

It would help if some of those who post here the most often and can recognize names and/or styles from some other boards could list their names. Or, if you post in the middle of the night and have discovered a troll long before the rest of us know that, give a heads up. (And vice versa.) That way, I, personally, would avoid them altogether and not get sucked into wasting time reading a dozen posts before I see what they're up to.

We sorta did that at one time. You can tell by how we are responding to them.

I haven't been posting much lately myself. I agree it's hard to find something really worth a response. When I log in (which is at least once a day) and I see some 500+ new posts, I don't feel like looking at everything. I may make one post, but then I log out.

Okay, I started a Ignore List - Troll Control in the Flame Zone. Please PM me entries, I explained why in the post. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back