Oops: CBO Says GOP Health Care ‘Alternative’ Leaves 52 Million Uninsured By 2019

If I fail to get insurance, fail to save up for a medical emergency, and end up in an emergency room, how would you describe my decision-making process?

If you make $10 an hour, which is now bevoming the norm for entry level jobs, how on EARTH can you afford to:

1. Get any insurance, including company offered.
2. Afford to save any money at all, especially for an emergency health fund.
3. Make any other decision other than to go to the ER if you are truly ill and can't afford to pay full price at a clinic.

My colleague in New Jersey is getting laid off at the end of November job paying $40k a year. Every job that she has interviewed for is paying $10 or less because there is so much competition for jobs, desperate people are taking anything to have money coming in. That's HALF of what she used to make. Oh, and she was diagnosed with MS this past year, so she'll probably have a field day getting covered. Yeah, she's SO irresponsible. And where do you suppose these extra two and three part time jobs are, hmm? You are truly not living in the real world.

Health care is completely out of reach for all but the extremely wealthy. Private and company insurance is out of reach for the majorty of the people in this country seeing as the average income is 40K. It's one thing if you're single on that amount, but if you're supporting a family, forget about it. The insurance companies care about nothing but profit. We will have an alternative one way or another. Get used to it.

My wife and I receive healthcare. We live on 70k a year.....in San Diego. Not exactly rich. And over 200 million people in this country have health insurance. Of those that dont, only about ten million truly cannot afford it. You are hysterical.

If I fail to get insurance, fail to save up for a medical emergency, and end up in an emergency room, how would you describe my decision-making process?

If you make $10 an hour, which is now bevoming the norm for entry level jobs, how on EARTH can you afford to:

3. Make any other decision other than to go to the ER if you are truly ill and can't afford to pay full price at a clinic.

My colleague in New Jersey is getting laid off at the end of November from job paying $40k a year. Every job that she has interviewed for is paying $10 or less because there is so much competition for jobs, desperate people are taking anything to have money coming in. That's HALF of what she used to make. Oh, and she was diagnosed with MS this past year, so she'll probably have a field day getting covered. Yeah, she's SO irresponsible. And where do you suppose these extra two and three part time jobs are, hmm? You are truly not living in the real world.

Health care is completely out of reach for all but the extremely wealthy. Private and company insurance is out of reach for the majorty of the people in this country seeing as the average income is 40K. It's one thing if you're single on that amount, but if you're supporting a family, forget about it. The insurance companies care about nothing but profit. We will have an alternative one way or another. Get used to it.

Ever consider getting 2 $10 an hour jobs?? Ever consider advancing yourself you be qualified for jobs that pay more???

Luxury skybox tickets are out of reach for me too.. and I would want them really bad.. does that mean I am owed that too at someone else's expense??? How about wanting to sustain myself on the all black truffle die?? You supposed to provide that too???

Maybe you are not owed skybox tickets, but we really should be forced to at least give you tickets in the first twenty rows.

If you make $10 an hour, which is now becoming the norm for entry level jobs, how on EARTH can you afford to:

My colleague in New Jersey is getting laid off at the end of November from job paying $40k a year. Every job that she has interviewed for is paying $10 or less because there is so much competition for jobs, desperate people are taking anything to have money coming in. That's less than HALF of what she used to make. Oh, and she was diagnosed with MS this past year, so she'll probably have a field day getting covered. Yeah, she's SO irresponsible. And where do you suppose these extra two and three part time jobs are, hmm? You are truly not living in the real world.

Dems say 47 million are not covered with 300 million Americans. Sounds like 253 million have coverage. That leaves it out of reach for no more than 47 million. Of those, some just don't want coverage or can't afford COBRA.

Ever consider getting 2 $10 an hour jobs??

Well considering it's next to impossible to get ONE $10 an hour job, sure. It's not like she's turning them down. And skybox tickets won't bankrupt you, ruin your credit or make you lose your house if you don't get them. Tickets are a want, not a need. Health insurance is a need if you are not wealthy. You need to be healthy and able to work. You need to work to make money. If you don't make enough money, you can't afford health insurance. If you don't have health insurance and get really sick, you can lose your job. If you can't work, you can't make money. See the cycle dumb neocons?

My wife and I receive healthcare. We live on 70k a year.....in San Diego. Not exactly rich. And over 200 million people in this country have health insurance. Of those that dont, only about ten million truly cannot afford it. You are hysterical.

If I lost my job tomorrow, there is no way I could afford health insurance. I can barely afford what I'm paying now with my company insurance. 70K a year is a lot of money, no matter where you are. You don't see anything wrong with this picture? It's okay to be one job loss and one major sickness away from complete financial and credit ruin because I don't make enough to significantly "save for an emergency"? Yeah, I could get another 2 or 3 jobs if I never slept.

Well considering it's next to impossible to get ONE $10 an hour job, sure. It's not like she's turning them down. And skybox tickets won't bankrupt you, ruin your credit or make you lose your house if you don't get them. Tickets are a want, not a need. Health insurance is a need if you are not wealthy. You need to be healthy and able to work. You need to work to make money. If you don't make enough money, you can't afford health insurance. If you don't have health insurance and get really sick, you can lose your job. If you can't work, you can't make money. See the cycle dumb neocons?

If I lost my job tomorrow, there is no way I could afford health insurance. I can barely afford what I'm paying now with my company insurance. 70K a year is a lot of money, no matter where you are. You don't see anything wrong with this picture? It's okay to be one job loss and one major sickness away from complete financial and credit ruin because I don't make enough to significantly "save for an emergency"? Yeah, I could get another 2 or 3 jobs if I never slept.

Yet the government is going to fine you if you don't pay for coverage. What is your problem. Get insurance Mr. Unemployed.

Health Insurance is not a necessity. It is a want. Just like a car- and for many, even less important. 70k a year is not a lot of money in SD- I assure you. We have one car, live in an apartment, and live paycheck to paycheck. We are not wealthy. And neither are most of the 200 million + that have insurance. And yes, it is perfectly ok to be one job loss and one major illness away from financial ruin. Millions live that way. What happens to the family with a single earner that does not purchase life insurance, and dies unexpectedly? FInancial ruin. Should government provide life insurance as well? Why cant you take care of yourself when so many can?

Then all they have to do is BUY IT THEM-FUCKING-SELVES

You have the choice to buy insurance or not.. as long as it is made available, it is upon you to do what it takes to purchase it for yourself if you want it... and that is what this and other options are about... not some fairytale leftist wish for healthcare provided to you by the government at the expense of someone else

What the left is trying to do/say is that some people cannot afford healthcare at the present cost and are going uninsured.

Since Hospitals take anyone that is injured, the hospitals need to have a method of covering their finances so they can hold up their obligations to society. So this is really about keeping the hospitals afloat.

Translation--about covering the nations medical expenses--including those that cannot pay. Two more steps and you at the the left belief in UHC. (Of course, one step is a political step to the left.)

Obviously, I do take care of myself. I have health insurance SO THAT I CAN GO TO THE DOCTOR IF I NEED TO. And yes, I do see health care as a need. It is a need for public health for one, especially with all the pandemics to come due to our overuse of antibiotics in the food supply. It is a need for the future productivity and prosperity of this country. If you can't see that, you're less bright than I thought. I certainly do not want to live in the country that you people want. If it ever becomes the callous, brutal and joyless place ruled by corporations and the wealthy... wait - sounds familiar - hello Russia!... I will want no part of it.

My colleague in New Jersey is getting laid off at the end of November from job paying $40k a year. Every job that she has interviewed for is paying $10 or less because there is so much competition for jobs, desperate people are taking anything to have money coming in. That's HALF of what she used to make. Oh, and she was diagnosed with MS this past year, so she'll probably have a field day getting covered. Yeah, she's SO irresponsible. And where do you suppose these extra two and three part time jobs are, hmm? You are truly not living in the real world.

Ever consider getting 2 $10 an hour jobs?? Ever consider advancing yourself you be qualified for jobs that pay more???

Luxury skybox tickets are out of reach for me too.. and I would want them really bad.. does that mean I am owed that too at someone else's expense??? How about wanting to sustain myself on the all black truffle die?? You supposed to provide that too???

No one is talking about Luxury skybox tickets--which is a luxury item.

What is being referred to is health coverage which has become a necessity.

In a down economy--the ability to hold on to 2 jobs should be considered difficult. Also it takes time and planning to advance oneself while trying to survive.

The concept of trying to solve the problem in terms of "individual responsibility" hinges on the concept that individual can actually achieve the goal intended. In this case, the individual may not be able to and survive(at least for the time required to do the things you suggests). Thus the attractiveness of a collective solution.

Last edited:
Obviously, I do take care of myself. I have health insurance SO THAT I CAN GO TO THE DOCTOR IF I NEED TO. And yes, I do see health care as a need. It is a need for public health for one, especially with all the pandemics to come due to our overuse of antibiotics in the food supply. It is a need for the future productivity and prosperity of this country. If you can't see that, you're less bright than I thought. I certainly do not want to live in the country that you people want. If it ever becomes the callous, brutal and joyless place ruled by corporations and the wealthy... wait - sounds familiar - hello Russia!... I will want no part of it.

so why should the government not also provide life insurance? Millions of families would be wrecked if their breadwinner died suddenly. Why dont you care about those people you big stupid callous meanie?:sad:

Russia has nationalized health insurance, sweetie.

so why should the government not also provide life insurance?

Life insurance costs next to nothing. Medical care costs more than most people can even begin to afford. And by the way, Russia is not "nationalized". 30% of the money coming in comes from payroll taxes and workers are required to BUY health insurance. Oh, and don't forget about the under the table bribes you have to pay to be treated. Hey, free market!

Russian health-care system badly ailing<br> Graft is rife, staffing short in the nation's poorly equipped hospitals,and it shows in death rates - Chicago Tribune

Russia has some of the worst health care anywhere... unless you're wealthy.

Wow. Im surprised so many millions have insurance, what with your loony statement...

It's not a loony statement. It's why there are far more people without coverage than the number that purchase insurance in the individual market.

Please explain that...because it really doesn't make any sense

It makes perfect sense. The number of people buying insurance as individuals is smaller than the number who are uninsured.

so why should the government not also provide life insurance?

Life insurance costs next to nothing. Medical care costs more than most people can even begin to afford. And by the way, Russia is not "nationalized". 30% of the money coming in comes from payroll taxes and workers are required to BUY health insurance. Oh, and don't forget about the under the table bribes you have to pay to be treated. Hey, free market!

Russian health-care system badly ailing<br> Graft is rife, staffing short in the nation's poorly equipped hospitals,and it shows in death rates - Chicago Tribune

Russia has some of the worst health care anywhere... unless you're wealthy.

The death of a wage earner is, in most cases, far more financially disastrous than medical care. Why shouldn't the government insure every wage earner? Why are you so mean and heartless?

It's not a loony statement. It's why there are far more people without coverage than the number that purchase insurance in the individual market.

It makes perfect sense. The number of people buying insurance as individuals is smaller than the number who are uninsured.

I am sure you have some factual basis to support this

[/B]

I am sure you have some factual basis to support this

"The percentages of people covered by private health insurance and by employment-based health insurance both decreased slightly in 2007, the Census numbers showed, although the number of those covered by employment-based insurance, 177.4 million, was not statistically different from 2006."

Census: Fewer Americans Lack Health Insurance - 8/26/2008 - insurancenewsnet.com

Just Polk talking out his ass again.

It appears there are those who are so entrenched in hyper-partisan rhetoric, that they will pay double what they should be paying just to protect their rhetoric.

Sad and tragic .... but not completely unexpected.
Look who's talking about remaining entrenched in their hyper-partisan rhetoric! :lol:

BTW, who is to say what anyone "should be paying" for this or that?

Forum List

Back