ooops. Cop kills cop.

This is where constant and proper training comes into play. When an officer has fear or complacency, mistakes (usually fatal) are bound to happen. That officer has the life of of others at his fingertips and he needs to have the proper judgment to ensure that those lives as well as his own are protected at all costs.

Exactly. We give them the right to use deadly force to protect us. It must be used wisely, or we have to take it away. There are only so many unintended consequences that are acceptable. For many, this isn't clear if and until your child or spouse is killed accidentally by a police officer weilding force without cause.

This is where constant and proper training comes into play. When an officer has fear or complacency, mistakes (usually fatal) are bound to happen. That officer has the life of of others at his fingertips and he needs to have the proper judgment to ensure that those lives as well as his own are protected at all costs.

Exactly. We give them the right to use deadly force to protect us. It must be used wisely, or we have to take it away. There are only so many unintended consequences that are acceptable. For many, this isn't clear if and until your child or spouse is killed accidentally by a police officer weilding force without cause.

And some people think that once you're "suspected" of committing a crime, you lose your rights up until they have you in custody. Just because you run from the cops isn't an admission of guilt. Just because you have a gun in your hand doesn't mean that you are going to commit murder. There are a lot of good cops. There are few bad ones. But there a plenty of them with improper or inadequate training.

Both were justifiable force.

Again, you want the luxury of a hindsight judgement based on news reports.

Wrong. The one yesterday where the cop tased and killed the mentally disabled kid? Tasing him was not necessary.

Warren Police said the Detroit Kettering High School sophomore bailed out of the Dodge Stratus he was riding in during a traffic stop on Eight Mile near Schoenherr, and led officers on a half-block chase. He was stunned one time with a Taser for resisting when officers tried to pat him down. Shortly after, he became unresponsive and died.

Dead teen's family, friends march against Taser use | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Two grown, trained cops had the kid, they were patting him down, and the two cops could have restrained and cuffed him. That kid did not have to die. Not saying the cops intention were to kill him - that was unfortunate and an accident - but they did not need to tase him. They made the wrong decision.

While I don't think these guys should go the chair or anything like that, I am concerned with the "accidents will happen, keep doing what you're doing" attitude. The shooting is bad judgement, IMHO. If you think it wasn't, explain the dead cop. The taser incident was bad judgement AND a bad piece of equipment. The tasers are way to loosely used. Too easy to stand back and inflict that. It has become more and more common to taser people for being beligerent. That's bullshit. 2/3s of the people on this board need to be tasered if that's the standard.

Both were justifiable force.

Again, you want the luxury of a hindsight judgement based on news reports.

Wrong. The one yesterday where the cop tased and killed the mentally disabled kid? Tasing him was not necessary.

Warren Police said the Detroit Kettering High School sophomore bailed out of the Dodge Stratus he was riding in during a traffic stop on Eight Mile near Schoenherr, and led officers on a half-block chase. He was stunned one time with a Taser for resisting when officers tried to pat him down. Shortly after, he became unresponsive and died.

Dead teen's family, friends march against Taser use | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Two grown, trained cops had the kid, they were patting him down, and the two cops could have restrained and cuffed him. That kid did not have to die. Not saying the cops intention were to kill him - that was unfortunate and an accident - but they did not need to tase him. They made the wrong decision.

Both cases were undue force, IMHO.

It will be a while but we will find out in both cases what the verdict is.

Come on, babe. Spell it out.

In both cases, the force was justifiable in the judgement of the officer on the scene. Both had unintended consequences.

Actually, the officer doing the shooting might have actually intended to kill the off duty cop, not knowing who he was.

What I want to know is did the running cop deserve it? Do we apply the same standard to a cop in that situation as a 16 year old, learning disabled child? Are the cops parents at fault for not teaching him any better? Was he guilty? People who run from the cops are guilty of something, right? Did he just make a mistake? Maybe he just didn't think, despite all his knowledge, that running away from cops was a bad idea. maybe he didn't think he would be injured, much less killed.

So what's the story?

Two people, running from cops. Two people killed by cops.

Where are all the people that should be here telling us that the cop who ran did himslef in? Can you say it? Can you say that he made the mistake by running?

I was watching this on CNN. I think the cop running made a fatal error, especially being a cop. From what they were saying... the cop running was running with his gun out chasing after someone who stole his car. Then a cop not knowing he was a cop, and seeing a man run down the road with a gun drawn ordered him to stop. He did, but started to turn around in which I guess the second cop thought it was a threat as he had a gun in his hand. That is what was being reported, but yet again too soon too comment until all facts are out.

If that were true, I am really surprised that, the victim being a cop, didn't automatically stop, and drop to the ground to surrendor.

Come on, babe. Spell it out.

In both cases, the force was justifiable in the judgement of the officer on the scene. Both had unintended consequences.

Actually, the officer doing the shooting might have actually intended to kill the off duty cop, not knowing who he was.

What I want to know is did the running cop deserve it? Do we apply the same standard to a cop in that situation as a 16 year old, learning disabled child? Are the cops parents at fault for not teaching him any better? Was he guilty? People who run from the cops are guilty of something, right? Did he just make a mistake? Maybe he just didn't think, despite all his knowledge, that running away from cops was a bad idea. maybe he didn't think he would be injured, much less killed.

So what's the story?

Two people, running from cops. Two people killed by cops.

Where are all the people that should be here telling us that the cop who ran did himslef in? Can you say it? Can you say that he made the mistake by running?

I was watching this on CNN. I think the cop running made a fatal error, especially being a cop. From what they were saying... the cop running was running with his gun out chasing after someone who stole his car. Then a cop not knowing he was a cop, and seeing a man run down the road with a gun drawn ordered him to stop. He did, but started to turn around in which I guess the second cop thought it was a threat as he had a gun in his hand. That is what was being reported, but yet again too soon too comment until all facts are out.

If that were true, I am really surprised that, the victim being a cop, didn't automatically stop, and drop to the ground to surrendor.

That's one of the thoughts that is sticking in my throat. If a cop doesn't know how to behave without causing "justified force", as it has been called, to be used on him, exactly how do you expect ANYONE who isn't a cop to know when a cop might decide to use force or not.

This scenario, to anyone with a brain, should be a flag that SOMETHING is wrong on one side or the other of the issue.

This is very troubling. All I have as a reference is the link report. But...

"One of the officers, after exiting the vehicle, fired six times from a 9 mm Glock," Kelly said.

I realise that that line doesn't give very much information, but the cop who fired would need to have a pretty good reason for doing so.

"One of the officers, after exiting the vehicle, fired six times from a 9 mm Glock," Kelly said.

I realise that that line doesn't give very much information, but the cop who fired would need to have a pretty good reason for doing so.

Obviously, there was no return fire. He hit him two out of six. I'm guessing there was 20 yards or more between them. That or the guy is a terrible marxman and had terrible judgement.

yep! what do you expect from anarchists???? I told you the left cheered when bad things happen to cops.

What the fuck are you babbling about.

Anyhow, back to the topic. This is not an instance where the one who was doing the "running from the cops" got shot, it was quite simply where one was doing their job and the other mistook the situation without calling it in then acted in a rash manner. Here's the thing, guns can kill you, an most of the time they do. The officer who did the shooting will pay for it, because that is a crime, he broke protocol and did not follow his training at all. Had he used a taser instead then it would have been lesser, but in this case, he's guilty as sin. Next attempt to demonize the people who keep you safe 24-fucking-7?

yep! what do you expect from anarchists???? I told you the left cheered when bad things happen to cops.

Anyhow, back to the topic. This is not an instance where the one who was doing the "running from the cops" got shot, it was quite simply where one was doing their job and the other mistook the situation without calling it in then acted in a rash manner. Here's the thing, guns can kill you, an most of the time they do. The officer who did the shooting will pay for it, because that is a crime, he broke protocol and did not follow his training at all. Had he used a taser instead then it would have been lesser, but in this case, he's guilty as sin. Next attempt to demonize the people who keep you safe 24-fucking-7?

nothing cupcake.. nothing! smile and nod.

Well, there we have it from the authority.

nothing cupcake.. nothing! smile and nod.

No, your comment was wrong, I am on the "left" more than the right (most of the time) and I give police nothing but respect. They put their lives on the line their entire adult lives to make sure people like me (law abider's) can walk down the street without getting shot or run down by some nutcase who doesn't care about other lives. So yeah, what was that about the "left" not liking cops? I am also friends with most of the officers in my city, talk to them at coffee shops, met them while I was homeless. One even took me to the shelter I was staying at so I wouldn't be in danger sleeping on the street. We all owe them a lot, and people demonizing them is no better than those who demonize the military.

I do have to ask though Kitten, why didn't the cop that was running down the street with a weapon know how to keep from getting shot?

One of your allies from the taser debate has defected and called this reasonable force.

I do have to ask though Kitten, why didn't the cop that was running down the street with a weapon know how to keep from getting shot?

One of your allies from the taser debate has defected and called this reasonable force.

Um ... do you just read what you want to and ignore all the fact. The officer that did the shooting likely did not call in to be apprised of the situation, if he had he would have known a pursuit was progress and gotten the details from dispatch. He screwed up, big time. It would have been reasonable force if he had shot an actual criminal with a gun, but again, he failed to do his job, period.

Um ... do you just read what you want to and ignore all the fact. The officer that did the shooting likely did not call in to be apprised of the situation, if he had he would have known a pursuit was progress and gotten the details from dispatch. He screwed up, big time. It would have been reasonable force if he had shot an actual criminal with a gun, but again, he failed to do his job, period.

Kitten, I must insist this go round that you don't debate from make believe land.

Provide any information you have that anyone called anyhting into dispatch.

And you forgot to say HOWDY!

Obviously, there was no return fire. He hit him two out of six. I'm guessing there was 20 yards or more between them. That or the guy is a terrible marxman and had terrible judgement.

Stressful situation, actually having to fire a weapon at someone I would imagine (never had to do it thankfully) so I'm not surprised at the lack of marksmanship. I was focusing on his justification for firing in the first place though. I assume - dangerous I know but heck I'm not investigating this - that he saw a firearm in the other's hand or something similar.

Kitten, I must insist this go round that you don't debate from make believe land.

You know too little about police procedure to be debating these topics. It's like when a kindergartener tries to debate physics with a highschooler. Go back to being a career criminal and leave the rest of the world to us law abiding citizens.

You know too little about police procedure to be debating these topics. It's like when a kindergartener tries to debate physics with a highschooler. Go back to being a career criminal and leave the rest of the world to us law abiding citizens.

Oh kitten, the personal stuff won't work. I have a personal insult shield. I got it in kidergarten.

The partners of the shooter said that before he opened fire the officer identified himself and demanded that Edwards drop his gun, police said at a Friday briefing.

Off-duty NYPD cop fatally shot by fellow officer -- Newsday.com

The officer identified and demanded the weapon be dropped. Hmmmm.....you got any info on that dispatch crap you were ambling about?

Dispatch? Anyone read anything about dispatch getting involved?

You're guessing again kitten.

Anyway, explain how a retarded kid is supposed to knwo better that to run but a trained cop doesn't know to drop his weapon when told.

Forum List

Back