C-101

Old School Conservative
Apr 10, 2009
N. Korea
Climate change causes 315,000 deaths a year-report - Reuters News

Climate change causes 315,000 deaths a year-report
Thu, 28 May 2009 22:22:42 GMT
CLIMATE-HUMAN/ (EMBARGOED)

(Embargoed for release at 1000 GMT May 29)

By Megan Rowling

LONDON, May 29 (Reuters) - Climate change kills about 315,000 people a year through hunger, sickness and weather disasters, and the annual death toll is expected to rise to half a million by 2030, a report said on Friday.

The study, commissioned by the Geneva-based Global Humanitarian Forum (GHF), estimates that climate change seriously affects 325 million people every year, a number that will more than double in 20 years to 10 percent of the world's population (now about 6.7 billion).

Edited For Copyright Regulations
"This glaring injustice must be addressed at Copenhagen in December." (Reporting by Megan Rowling, editing by Tim Pearce)

Notice the politics of this.

The "rich" countries are at fault and deserve virtually no sympathy for their "global warming disasters" in the eyes of the GHF, but the poor countries are strangely the most adversely affected countries and as a result need even more foreign aid.

Who's with me in the idea that these GHF members cherry pick disasters in poor regions, stamp "global warming" on them, and demand even more foreign dollars in a way that empowers international government?

Scheisse man, its a slippery slope.

First off, whether you call it "Global warming" or "climate change/shift" it doesnt matter. SOMETHING is happening here. I think that most everyone can agree to that.

Now that the terminology has been set as a "C.Y.A." insurer, let me say this:

Poor countries are poor for a reason. Whether mass drought or famine or ongoing wars (and you can bet your bottom dollar that all are connected in some way shape or form) I think its agreeable that Global Warming/ Climate Change isnt helping much to hinder the effects of whatever is happening in said countries.

However, I see your point. Is the U.N. playing politics? Does a bear shit in the woods?

p.s. I know Polar Bears dont shit in the woods you smartasses.

Good post by the way bud.

Last edited:

First off, whether you call it "Global warming" or "climate change/shift" it doesnt matter. SOMETHING is happening here. I think that most everyone can agree to that.

Poor countries are poor for a reason. Whether mass drought or famine or ongoing wars (and you can bet your bottom dollar that all are connected in some way shape or form) I think its agreeable that Global Warming/ Climate Change isnt helping much to hinder the effects of whatever is happening in said countries.

However, I see your point. Is the U.N. playing politics? Does a bear shit in the woods?

I don't understand how "researchers" determine whether an event is "global warming related" or not.

My guess is that there really is not much science behind it and it is more of a political game than anything.

I don't understand how "researchers" determine whether an event is "global warming related" or not.

Tha's a fair enough complaint.

Of course, if we are in a state of global warming, then EVERYTHING that happens anywhere on this globe is related to that fact.

If global warming is NOT real, then obviously it's not.

There is no way to parce out ANY local weather event from the general state of the overall climatic conditions in this world.

Every local state is part of the overall state of the climate

It's a beautiful day in Maine?

The world's climate makes that happen.

It's a disasterously terrible day in Maine?

Same explanation works.

Where you should start looking to try and determine why poor countries are poor is at the government/corruption that is in charge. When doing that you will start to see a very large pattern of the 'poor' and the 'rich', it typically doesn't have anything to do with the weather. Natural resources play a part, but the weather is irrelevant.

The #1 pollution producer is China.

Is China a rich country?

#2 is probably Russia, with possibly Mexico thrown in there.

The fact is, it's the crap countries who don't use pollution prevention practices, so OF COURSE they are the most adversely affected. They don't even have functioning sewers, for cryin out loud.

The "rich" countries are at fault and deserve virtually no sympathy for their "global warming disasters" in the eyes of the GHF, but the poor countries are strangely the most adversely affected countries and as a result need even more foreign aid.

Who's with me in the idea that these GHF members cherry pick disasters in poor regions, stamp "global warming" on them, and demand even more foreign dollars in a way that empowers international government?

global warming is not man made. it is questionable whether it is a problem and for that matter whether in fact it is still going on or will continue.

the *solution* to global warming ( which in fact will have no effect whatsoever on climate ) will ensure third world nations will forever stay third world nations. they will not be able to afford to industrialize because of the carbon tax.

the most advanced nations will be less affected because we have more $$$ to pay taxes and we already outsourced all of the dirty manufacturing. Israel doesn't need any heavy industry - they can make plenty of money in Software and Biotech. Some African country doesn't have such a choice for them its either heavy industry or starve to death.

global government is coming though. here in NY they are already offering "enhanced" driver license with RFID chip in it that lets you drive to Mexico and Canada without a need for a passport ( hello North American Union )

Last edited:

Is China a rich country?

The fact is, it's the crap countries who don't use pollution prevention practices, so OF COURSE they are the most adversely affected. They don't even have functioning sewers, for cryin out loud.

agree for the most part, however the reason under-developed countries like China and Russia pollute so much is because their economies are more dependent on manufacturing things which are large, primitive an cheap.

our economies are more dependent on manufacturing stuff that is small, complex and expensive.

you could probably buy a motorcycle in China for what a single CD with Microsoft Windows on it retails. what do you think will produce more pollutants - manufacturing a motorcycle or pressing a compact disc ?

we didn't outsource our manufacturing because we are so noble and care about the environment. we did it because it wasn't profitable. they are doing our dirty work for us and instead of saying thank you we want to punish them for it.

Is China a rich country?

Uh, actually China just recently surpassed the US as the biggest polluter in the world.

But then again... China has over four times the population of the US.

I'm sure you've heard of the internet. Please use it.

global warming is not man made. it is questionable whether it is a problem and for that matter whether in fact it is still going on or will continue.

the *solution* to global warming ( which in fact will have no effect whatsoever on climate ) will ensure third world nations will forever stay third world nations. they will not be able to afford to industrialize because of the carbon tax.

the most advanced nations will be less affected because we have more $$$ to pay taxes and we already outsourced all of the dirty manufacturing. Israel doesn't need any heavy industry - they can make plenty of money in Software and Biotech. Some African country doesn't have such a choice for them its either heavy industry or starve to death.

global government is coming though. here in NY they are already offering "enhanced" driver license with RFID chip in it that lets you drive to Mexico and Canada without a need for a passport ( hello North American Union )
Right, and you don't need to make that point to me.

Instead of posting the usual "global warming doesn't exist" post I decided to point out the politics of global warming.

Nice to see a growing number realizing the scam that is global warming.

The tide is really turning on this topic - which has its proponenst scared to death as their investment has been a long time coming. The media blitz this summer in support of Cap n Trade is gonna be over the top.

Hold the line folks, and send Cap n Trade to the bottom of the "dumb ideas" barrel where it belongs...

Can't wait for Old Rocks, and Chris to discover this thread. They will give us the "what for's", and rising CO2's, and Man is the cause for every problem this Earth has ever encountered.:lol:

Can't wait for Old Rocks, and Chris to discover this thread. They will give us the "what for's", and rising CO2's, and Man is the cause for every problem this Earth has ever encountered.:lol:

Shush you ... then we'd wind up with it in the graveyard with the rest of those environut threads. :razz:

The thing often ignored is this, it's happened before, it's been worse before, and it happened before we as a species existed. While it's not "normal" it IS natural, and no matter what we do, we can't stop it, slow it, change it, nature is a bitch like that, she doesn't like to let weak species live for long. So, we waste all our money trying to fix something that isn't broke instead of provinig our worth and seeking a way to survive the "unthinkable" ... it's stupidity and even I was roped into it once, but I grew up and got myself a brain (see tag line).

So how do the determine who is dying from hunger due to "climate change" and who is dying from hunger period?

Where you should start looking to try and determine why poor countries are poor is at the government/corruption that is in charge. When doing that you will start to see a very large pattern of the 'poor' and the 'rich', it typically doesn't have anything to do with the weather. Natural resources play a part, but the weather is irrelevant.

You mean if a country is mostly desert, then that is irrelevant to the fact that it is poor? Or the fact that desertification is increasing on a world wide scale has nothing to do with an increase in poverty? And a decrease in agricultural yeild in the areas affected has nothing to do with these nations problems?

Last edited:

Is China a rich country?

No, this is not true at all. First the pollution that is causing the global warming is GHGs, greenhouse gases, not the standard industrial sulfate and sulfide pollution. In the production of that type of pollution, China has just surpassed the US. Russia and Mexico don't even blip compared to the US and China.

China is one of the first nations to feel major impacts from the accelerating warming. The increasing desertification of the Northern part of that nation, encroachment of the ocean on the fertile low lying areas of that nation, and the increase of typhoons that are going onshore, all are happening right now.
Chinas Growing Desert -- In These Times

Features » October 13, 2006
Chinas Growing Desert
Overgrazing is stripping arable lands, creating the potential for ecological refugees
By Jehangir Pocha (Bejing)
As expanding deserts have encroached on Dunhuang, the city has created a 'sand park' where people ride camels and sleigh down dunes.
Tags asia environment Share Digg del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine A new Chinese export has been spreading quietly across Asia and the United States: dust.

Violent sandstorms from China’s expanding deserts have been battering numerous Chinese cities, and now their mustard-colored dust has begun reaching South Korea, Japan and the west coast of North America.

“People dusting off their cars in California or Calgary often don’t realize the sand has come all the way from China,” says Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute (EPI) in Washington D.C., who was in Beijing recently. “There is a dustbowl developing in China that represents the largest conversion of productive land to desert of any place in the world … and it’s affecting the world.”

China has always suffered from aridity, as about 20 percent of its landmass is comprised of deserts made famous in tales about the Silk Road that traversed many of them.

Every Scientific Society in the world, every National Academy of Science in the world, and every major University in the world are in on an international conspiracy, right?

Every Scientific Society in the world, every National Academy of Science in the world, and every major University in the world are in on an international conspiracy, right?

yes

Forum List

Back