"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

Barely Literate How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids Alternet

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

the only reason most people homeschool is they're afraid their children will meet other people who don't think like them or actually learn science instead of the bible.
I call blind stupidity on that one.

You forget things like autism and ADD, which make it difficult, if not impossible for a kid to learn in an environment where it's more important he/she learns to sit down and shut up than to be educated.

A friend of mine is a school psychologist in a wealthy district in Silicon Valley. She has horror stories about disabled and austic kids disrupting class rooms. Their parents threaten to sue if they aren't "mainstreamed", so the pathetic school administration allows it. One boy actually sat in class and masturbated. I doubt the kids learned much else during that year. If I had children in that district, they'd be in private schools, or taught at home.

there are some classes where kids are mainstreamed but not the kids who are disruptive.

thanks for the "story".

You Leftwing Loons really cannot help generalizing specific examples, can you?

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

the only reason most people homeschool is they're afraid their children will meet other people who don't think like them or actually learn science instead of the bible.

You forget things like autism and ADD, which make it difficult, if not impossible for a kid to learn in an environment where it's more important he/she learns to sit down and shut up than to be educated.

A friend of mine is a school psychologist in a wealthy district in Silicon Valley. She has horror stories about disabled and austic kids disrupting class rooms. Their parents threaten to sue if they aren't "mainstreamed", so the pathetic school administration allows it. One boy actually sat in class and masturbated. I doubt the kids learned much else during that year. If I had children in that district, they'd be in private schools, or taught at home.

Did the kid who masturbated then pay better attention than they did before? :)

rest at link

Article actually mentions the homeschooling is popular among evangelicals who 'fear their chidlren will grow up to become humanists and atheists.' :) Stands out to me as amusing since I identify with humanism and atheism. :)

that is funny. kids learn a lot of things when they leave the nest. obviously they don't think much of their religion if they think it can't withstand outside influences. i'm just not sure how keeping kids ignorant is good parenting.
Which is why you want to homeschool them, so they actually learn. You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids by and large outperform their government schooled peers by large margins?

i'm going to guess you have no kids. kids learn in public school. parents just have to be aware of what their kids are doing and learning and communicate with teachers.

teachers can't teach kids if there isn't support at home.
Which means the kids whose parents really want to get an education are at a disadvantage and don't learn while the teacher has to deal with the disruptive ones. As for kids, we raised two, and both were at one point or another were schooled in private schools, government schools, and at home. I've seen it all.

There's a reason why kids are in school for 6 hours a day. They lose tremendous amounts of time while the teacher is disciplining unruly kids, who could be learning through activities instead of lecture. That's why a home-schooled kid's school day is often done in 3 hours or less.

that is funny. kids learn a lot of things when they leave the nest. obviously they don't think much of their religion if they think it can't withstand outside influences. i'm just not sure how keeping kids ignorant is good parenting.
Which is why you want to homeschool them, so they actually learn. You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids by and large outperform their government schooled peers by large margins?

my public school taught son can outthink pretty much any person who is homeschooled and thinks the world is 5,000 years old.
Really? What accelerated programs did he excel in? You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids are often ready for college 1 to 2 years before government schooled ones? It's hard to argue with success.
Ready for college, true, but often, never had a date, never will have a date.

That is completely bogus. There are home school groups which arrange activities so that kids are socialized. It is also not UNHEARD of to meet people at church activities.

The entire world is not made up of Public School.
One does have to chuckle at the ignorance on display.

rest at link

there are some classes where kids are mainstreamed but not the kids who are disruptive.

thanks for the "story".

please don't attribute your windiness and looniness to anyone else. but schools don't allow classes to be disrupted by mainstreaming.... at least not in classes that teach high performing kids.

for the record,i don't like mainstreaming, boetoxic.

my public school taught son can outthink pretty much any person who is homeschooled and thinks the world is 5,000 years old.
Really? What accelerated programs did he excel in? You do know, don't you, that homeschooled kids are often ready for college 1 to 2 years before government schooled ones? It's hard to argue with success.

That is completely bogus. There are home school groups which arrange activities so that kids are socialized. It is also not UNHEARD of to meet people at church activities.

on the rabid right? yes.

rest at link

I'll go you one better than that.

I was in a district with a lot of Native Americans, one of which was a teacher, married to a school board member.

She was semi-literate, but, somehow "taught" typing.

My principal kept hearing stuff, but feared for his job.

So, cops walked in one day, caught a kid beating off for the girls, arrested him, and left the classroom.

She was asleep and never saw it happen.

Board never did a damned thing to her either.

rest at link

He was an autistic kid who didn't belong in the classroom - all he accomplished was self-pleasure and exhibitionism.

All the proof of God I need, besides His presence in my life, which I long denied and fought.

So, no any reasons to oppose science and Christianity.... Maybe if this funcamentalists should understand heretical kind of their behavior - they become more progressive?

on the rabid right? yes.
And yet they continue to crank out kids who perform better than the others. Go figure. Hey, we're just trying to help you learn here.

thanks for the "story".

please don't attribute your windiness and looniness to anyone else. but schools don't allow classes to be disrupted by mainstreaming.... at least not in classes that teach high performing kids.

And how long did you teach?

And don't tell me the disruptive are not mainstreamed, even SE teachers need a planning period.

You cannot believe what I have seen in the name of placing a student in "the least restrictive environment".

rest at link

I was in a district with a lot of Native Americans, one of which was a teacher, married to a school board member.

So, cops walked in one day, caught a kid beating off for the girls, arrested him, and left the classroom.

Yep. Those teachers' unions really protect the kids.

rest at link

He was an autistic kid who didn't belong in the classroom - all he accomplished was self-pleasure and exhibitionism.
I have had severely disabled kids that could not read, write or talk, in classes with their own personal attendants, with kids with long criminal records, when I taught in the Alternative Schools.

I remember one, who was just a bit shy of being a mental vegetable.

Needless to say, the female aide could not go to the restroom with him, and I soon started hearing tales of him getting abuse.

About that time, I had had enough of the Alternative Scam, wrote his mom a letter saying the environment was not safe for her kid, and I retired.

I still see them now and again, he still recognizes me, but still can't speak.

I wonder what happens to them when they outlive their parents?

rest at link

When this happened, I doubt there was a union in that parish.

thanks for the "story".

And how long did you teach?

And don't tell me the disruptive are not mainstreamed, even SE teachers need a planning period.

You cannot believe what I have seen in the name of placing a student in "the least restrictive environment".

one doesn't have to teach to know what happens in schools. you just need kids in school. something you clearly don't have.

disruptive kids aren't placed in high performing classes.

1. i attended public school.
2. my husband attended public school
3. my son attends public school and is going to NYU in the fall.

i'm pretty sure that his classes weren't disrupted because he wasn't in the low performing classes.

yeah, but kids in parishes don't learn science....

I have had severely disabled kids that could not read, write or talk, in classes with their own personal attendants, with kids with long criminal records, when I taught in the Alternative Schools.

I remember one, who was just a bit shy of being a mental vegetable.

Needless to say, the female aide could not go to the restroom with him, and I soon started hearing tales of him getting abuse.

About that time, I had had enough of the Alternative Scam, wrote his mom a letter saying the environment was not safe for her kid, and I retired.

I still see them now and again, he still recognizes me, but still can't speak.

I wonder what happens to them when they outlive their parents?

They most likely end up in state run institutions where they are prey to sexual and physical abusers - unless a family member or church group takes care of them.

What's sad is the Public schools produce MORE children who can't read and you all want to reward them for their "wonderful" job.

That's not true anymore. I have been asked to give geologic presentations at two Catholic schools in this area, and they both had dedicated science teachers. They were teaching astronomy, evolution, geology, (obviously), physics and a whole host of other subjects.

That's not true anymore. I have been asked to give geologic presentations at two Catholic schools in this area, and they both had dedicated science teachers. They were teaching astronomy, evolution, geology, (obviously), physics and a whole host of other subjects.

i'd think that's a rarity though i'm glad you had that experience.

(now if we only weren't so far down the list in terms of our math/science skills as a country).

Forum List

Back