"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
http://www.alternet.org/story/15454...stian_fundamentalist_homeschooling_hurts_kids

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

Barely Literate How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids Alternet

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!

Good point I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe because a literate able-to-read-it for themselves congregation isn't desireable? Early on, the Catholics held mass in Latin which most people didn't understand. They probably argued 'we'll lose power if the people are less dependent upon us for Scriptural interpretation.'

Plus, if the intent is to abuse, as fundamentalist Islam does, teaching a broad ranger of subjects instead of just the holy book results in people too smart to be religious. :)

When/If you take astronomy in college, "God made the Earth" stands exposed as one of a multitude of falsehoods. :) So forbid kids from taking astronomy is what ya do if you want em to be religious.

That's dumb. At the first indication that she couldn't handle the teaching load, she should have let somebody else do it. Homeschooling is extremely valuable, if parents are willing to actually teach. Heck, our kids were taught that God created the universe AND astronomy. It didn't hurt them at all, nor did it stunt their curiosity, or any of the other imaginary horrors dreamed up by those opposed to Christianity.

That's dumb. At the first indication that she couldn't handle the teaching load, she should have let somebody else do it. Homeschooling is extremely valuable, if parents are willing to actually teach. Heck, our kids were taught that God created the universe AND astronomy. It didn't hurt them at all, nor did it stunt their curiosity, or any of the other imaginary horrors dreamed up by those opposed to Christianity.

If the parent isn't the one teaching it isn't homeschooling any more. It's getting a tutor for 1 on 1 instruction. :)

If the parent isn't the one teaching it isn't homeschooling any more. It's getting a tutor for 1 on 1 instruction. :)
Different label, same effect. We used an on-line accredited curriculum, so we had us plus online teachers. They did the actual grading and assignments. Worked very well.

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link
I grew up thinking normal people all learned to read by playing with alphabet blocks and having Little Golden Books read to them.

Worked for me and all my siblings, and for all of our kids.

It took me a long time to realize that learning to read was not as natural as learning to walk and talk.

Different label, same effect. We used an on-line accredited curriculum, so we had us plus online teachers. They did the actual grading and assignments. Worked very well.

Just googled and read one site for 'secular homeschooling.' Sounds great.

Global Village School General Overview of K8 Homeschool Program and High School Program

Global Village School General Overview of K8 Homeschool Program and High School Program
The point is that the parents are actually in control of the curriculum.

rest at link
I grew up thinking normal people all learned to read by playing with alphabet blocks and having Little Golden Books read to them.

It took me a long time to realize that learning to read was not as natural as learning to walk and talk.

I remember Little Golden Books :)

Used to think everybody in the world was Christian. :)

People should send their kids to public school for socialization, and deprogram them daily, and monitor their progress themselves, rather than relying on watered down report cards and silly standardized tests.

rest at link

I remember Little Golden Books :)

Used to think everybody in the world was Christian. :)
I don't recall Little Black Sambo being a Christian, or calling out to Jesus when he had tigers on his ass.

Your hatred of religion aside, Little Golden Books helped make millions of kids readers before they ever entered school.

With me, it was more outdoor magazines, and two newspapers a day, but I remember reading them to my little sister.

rest at link

the only reason most people homeschool is they're afraid their children will meet other people who don't think like them or actually learn science instead of the bible.

People should send their kids to public school for socialization, and deprogram them daily, and monitor their progress themselves, rather than relying on watered down report cards and silly standardized tests.

I like the idea of non-religous homeschooling. Went to public schools myself but didn't care for them eventually testing out shortly after beginning the 11th grade. Whole government indoctrination/imperialist pov being my main complaint.

The point is that the parents are actually in control of the curriculum.
Being in control of the evaluation is more important.

If the kid is studying Egypt, but knows nothing of Egypt, that will be revealed by parental supervision of what is going on at school.

rest at link

the only reason most people homeschool is they're afraid their children will meet other people who don't think like them or actually learn science instead of the bible.

Article actually mentions the homeschooling is popular among evangelicals who 'fear their chidlren will grow up to become humanists and atheists.' :) Stands out to me as amusing since I identify with humanism and atheism. :)

rest at link

A lot of it has to do with parents who are criminals, and parents who fear exposing their kids to violence in certain schools.

rest at link

A lot of it has to do with parents who are criminals, and parents who fear exposing their kids to violence in certain schools.

I only fear kids of mine being taught "Columbus discovered America." type nonsense. :)

Or that the Mercator world maps are in anyway accurate. Inaccurate maps of the world cause surprisingly significant problems in how we think about other countries.

Forum List

Back