One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009

The book is an interesting read, but is basically flawed. Americans have alwasy considered themselves in terms of 'Christian exceptionalism in the promised land.'

Kruse would be better off attacking the fundamentalist and evangelical activists who have attempt to redirect the exceptionalism in their terms, not general Christianity.

Since they are now losing that battle, the fight has become ugly.

One Nation Under God How Corporate America Invented Christian America by Kevin M. Kruse Reviews Discussion Bookclubs Lists

We’re often told that the United States is, was, and always has been a Christian nation. But in One Nation Under God, historian Kevin M. Kruse reveals that the idea of “Christian America” is an invention—and a relatively recent one at that.

As Kruse argues, the belief that America is fundamentally and formally a Christian nation originated in the 1930s when businessmen enlisted religious activists in their fight against FDR’s New Deal. Corporations from General Motors to Hilton Hotels bankrolled conservative clergymen, encouraging them to attack the New Deal as a program of “pagan statism” that perverted the central principle of Christianity: the sanctity and salvation of the individual. Their campaign for “freedom under God” culminated in the election of their close ally Dwight Eisenhower in 1952.

But this apparent triumph had an ironic twist. In Eisenhower’s hands, a religious movement born in opposition to the government was transformed into one that fused faith and the federal government as never before. During the 1950s, Eisenhower revolutionized the role of religion in American political culture, inventing new traditions from inaugural prayers to the National Prayer Breakfast. Meanwhile, Congress added the phrase “under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance and made “In God We Trust” the country’s first official motto. With private groups joining in, church membership soared to an all-time high of 69%. For the first time, Americans began to think of their country as an officially Christian nation.

During this moment, virtually all Americans—across the religious and political spectrum—believed that their country was “one nation under God.” But as Americans moved from broad generalities to the details of issues such as school prayer, cracks began to appear. Religious leaders rejected this “lowest common denomination” public religion, leaving conservative political activists to champion it alone. In Richard Nixon’s hands, a politics that conflated piety and patriotism became sole property of the right.

Provocative and authoritative, One Nation Under God reveals how the unholy alliance of money, religion, and politics created a false origin story that continues to define and divide American politics to this day.

Of course to those Christians who helped found this country, separation of church and state seen as good for both church and state.

"better proof of reverence for that holy name wd be not to profane it by making it a topic of legisl. discussion, & particularly by making his religion the means of abridging the natural and equal rights of all men, in defiance of his own declaration that his Kingdom was not of this world"
-- James Madison; from 'Detached Memoranda'

• Banned
Christians are fine. But modern day evangelicals are a frightening bunch. The laws they would pass in this country if they had the chance would set us back 100 years.
The socon Christian reactionary far right are heretics as a group and some are apostates. They do not represent either Christ's church or this Nation's values.

The book is an interesting read, but is basically flawed. Americans have alwasy considered themselves in terms of 'Christian exceptionalism in the promised land.'

Kruse would be better off attacking the fundamentalist and evangelical activists who have attempt to redirect the exceptionalism in their terms, not general Christianity.

Since they are now losing that battle, the fight has become ugly.

One Nation Under God How Corporate America Invented Christian America by Kevin M. Kruse Reviews Discussion Bookclubs Lists

We’re often told that the United States is, was, and always has been a Christian nation. But in One Nation Under God, historian Kevin M. Kruse reveals that the idea of “Christian America” is an invention—and a relatively recent one at that.

As Kruse argues, the belief that America is fundamentally and formally a Christian nation originated in the 1930s when businessmen enlisted religious activists in their fight against FDR’s New Deal. Corporations from General Motors to Hilton Hotels bankrolled conservative clergymen, encouraging them to attack the New Deal as a program of “pagan statism” that perverted the central principle of Christianity: the sanctity and salvation of the individual. Their campaign for “freedom under God” culminated in the election of their close ally Dwight Eisenhower in 1952.

But this apparent triumph had an ironic twist. In Eisenhower’s hands, a religious movement born in opposition to the government was transformed into one that fused faith and the federal government as never before. During the 1950s, Eisenhower revolutionized the role of religion in American political culture, inventing new traditions from inaugural prayers to the National Prayer Breakfast. Meanwhile, Congress added the phrase “under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance and made “In God We Trust” the country’s first official motto. With private groups joining in, church membership soared to an all-time high of 69%. For the first time, Americans began to think of their country as an officially Christian nation.

During this moment, virtually all Americans—across the religious and political spectrum—believed that their country was “one nation under God.” But as Americans moved from broad generalities to the details of issues such as school prayer, cracks began to appear. Religious leaders rejected this “lowest common denomination” public religion, leaving conservative political activists to champion it alone. In Richard Nixon’s hands, a politics that conflated piety and patriotism became sole property of the right.

Provocative and authoritative, One Nation Under God reveals how the unholy alliance of money, religion, and politics created a false origin story that continues to define and divide American politics to this day.

I heard this on NPR. And I disagree with it. He gives too much weight to business and conveniently narrows his focus on a trend that had been going on for many many many decades.

Christians are fine. But modern day evangelicals are a frightening bunch. The laws they would pass in this country if they had the chance would set us back 100 years.

Well the main problem with evangelicals is that they are usually very literal interpreters of scripture unlike most traditional denominations that take the Bible allegorically. Each has positives and negatives attached to it, but in my experience evangelicals have a lot more negatives than positives, especially in regard to the Christian impact upon society and how Christianity is viewed by society. I love their fire for the Lord...they really put God into everything they do and that's worthy of respect, but boy it can be a pain in the ass for the rest of us. :lol:

• Banned
Each evangelical believes they are the 4th member in the Godhead. :lol:

The socon Christian reactionary far right are heretics as a group and some are apostates. They do not represent either Christ's church or this Nation's values.
Of course, the group you deride will sputter invectives about you cafeteria Christians.

Of course they will, Hollie. I see atheists quarrel with each other like Christians. And all of the in and out fighting really changes nothing.

Of course they will, Hollie. I see atheists quarrel with each other like Christians. And all of the in and out fighting really changes nothing.
I don't see dozens of denominations of atheists fighting over control of doctrine.

I don't see dozens of denominations of atheists fighting over control of doctrine.

It's not so much control of doctrine as it is control of ignorance. Just as science responds to no moon landings and a flat earth in the interest of truth and knowledge, so must religion.

People, who in the name of religion, spout off young earth, global flood, "Rapture", good people who are not Christian to hell, sins forgiven before they are even committed, are the ones who have me passionately committed to broadcasting the truth that within the faith community these people and these ideas are taken about as seriously as the flat-earthers. However, due to the media attention they are given, they are made to seem bigger than life.

Media people would much rather interview religious people who speak out against evolution than the faithful who simply want people to know that love is intrinsic to God and He cares deeply. Our sins are forgiven.

It's not so much control of doctrine as it is control of ignorance. Just as science responds to no moon landings and a flat earth in the interest of truth and knowledge, so must religion.

People, who in the name of religion, spout off young earth, global flood, "Rapture", good people who are not Christian to hell, sins forgiven before they are even committed, are the ones who have me passionately committed to broadcasting the truth that within the faith community these people and these ideas are taken about as seriously as the flat-earthers. However, due to the media attention they are given, they are made to seem bigger than life.

Media people would much rather interview religious people who speak out against evolution than the faithful who simply want people to know that love is intrinsic to God and He cares deeply. Our sins are forgiven.

If I could click "agree" on this post 25 times I would. Here's the reality. This jack-ass sells papers and gets ratings.

Thus, that's what the media shows. To make the news you have to run through the streets naked, speaking in tongues, and whirling a snake over your head by the tail.

Last edited:
I see many atheists on this board fighting over to handle religious belief on this Board.

If I could click "agree" on this post 25 times I would. Here's the reality. This jack-ass sells papers and gets ratings.

Thus, that's what the media shows. To make the news you have to run through the streets naked, speaking in tongues, and whirling a snake over your head by the tail.

Hyperbole much?

Hyperbole much?

Well.............perhaps a touch. :lol:

Hyperbole much?

A sauce pan full? :lol:

I would pay to watch our glossolalia folks running naked wiring snakes over their head and speaking in tongues. A lot!

Hyperbole much?

A sauce pan full? :lol:

I would pay to watch our glossolalia folks running naked wiring snakes over their head and speaking in tongues. A lot!

The point is that media tends to show the most extreme elements because that gains more interest. There would be nothing in a calm, rational discussion about religion between you, Meriweather, and myself that would be particularly interesting enough to sell a newspaper or grab attention on TV news. Thus, mainstream views are not what is portrayed and society begins to believe that the extremist view is the mainstream view. This is true for all demographics, not just Christians.

Gotta admit though...the guy swinging the snake would make prime time on every channel. :lol:

Forum List

Back