One million French march against gay marriage in Paris

I disagree. The main thrust is that gay unions should not be confused with the values associated with marriage. As open-minded as the French portray themselves, they are surprisingly conservative on many social issues.

I didn't say they weren't, just that the debate they are having isn't a religious one. The fundamental issue is gay rights as it pertains to children, as of now, they have no rights. They can't adopt and they are forbidden from getting artificial insemanation as well. While marriage isn't popular in France, the idea of children needing both a mother and a father is.

The current president ran on making gay marriage and gay adoption legal, now that he has been elected, there is heated debate over the issues.

I thought the French were enlightened and progressive and intellectual trend setters.
So many Libs in the United States love the European way of life....

What's going on here?

Muslims and Catholics participated in the protest, but significant numbers were simply marching in favor of a more traditional definition of marriage.

I thought the French were enlightened and progressive and intellectual trend setters.
So many Libs in the United States love the European way of life....

What's going on here?

Many US liberals would be surprised to find out that social conservatism remains quite strong in Europe: on immigration, abortion, marriage and adoption... Less religion does not mean more liberal :cool:

Besides Scandinavia and, to some extent, the Netherlands and UK, there are no major centre-right parties in Europe supporting gay marriage.

You will not meet Huckabees, Akins or Mourdocks here, but many moderate non-religious europeans believe that abortion on request beyond 12-14 weeks is atrocious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Germany

I agree with AmyNation that the debate in France is mostly non religious. Sarkozy divorced and got married again while in office, Hollande has a girlfriend, the new conservative leader is a non-practicing jew (he has attended the march in Paris)... The french couldn't care less.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back