Once, ask again. Twice, re-word and ask again. Three times? Start a poll.

Is the tax code fair?

• Yes. The tax code in this country is basically fair.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No. The tax code is unfair.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I can't answer without looking stupid.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
:eusa_think: How the HELL does one get conservatives on this board to answer a simple yes or no question without sounding like a bunch of seven term senators at a lobbyist luncheon?!?

Obviously most Conservatives believe that the poor are not paying their own fair share of the tax burden in this country, so let's leave them out of the equation.

That being said, do you (America's Conservatives) believe that the super wealthy, who pay about 16% of their incomes in taxes, and the middle class, who fork over an average of around 32% of their incomes, are both paying a fair share of the money that must be collected to keep this country running?

Remember... how efficiently the country is running and what the money is being spent on, while very valid questions, are different questions.​

Frustration from a thread: Shrink the Rich Not Government US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Last edited:
:eusa_think: How the HELL does one get conservatives on this board to answer a simple yes or no question without sounding like a bunch of seven term senators at a lobbyist luncheon?!?

Obviously most Conservatives believe that the poor are not paying their own fair share of the tax burden in this country, so let's leave them out of the equation.

That being said, do you (America's Conservatives) believe that the super wealthy, who pay about 16% of their incomes in taxes, and the middle class, who fork over an average of around 32% of their incomes, are both paying a fair share of the money that must be collected to keep this country running?

Remember... how efficiently the country is running and what the money is being spent on, while very valid questions, are different questions.​

Frustration from a thread: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/146106-shrink-the-rich-not-government-16.html#post3096852

The tax code is not uniform so therefore it is unfair.

Concise enough ;)

And if you want short replies leave out the bullshit you threw in to fire people up ;).

Remember... how efficiently the country is running and what the money is being spent on, while very valid questions, are different questions.

Frustration from a thread: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/146106-shrink-the-rich-not-government-16.html#post3096852

Your first mistake is buying into Wealth envy.

/THREAD.

Concise enough ;)

And if you want short replies leave out the bullshit you threw in to fire people up ;).

I never asked for short replies, I just wish to discuss the question I asked.

I believe the code to be unfair. If 75% of Americans agree with me we have a point at which to start. If 75% disagree we also have a starting point - when asking if the rich and the middle classes pay fair shares of the tax burden and the answers sound like a presidential press conference on a day with a -400 Dow, it's frustrating.

Neither income nor wealth are sustainable collection methods, consumption is. The tax code is unfair.

Remember... how efficiently the country is running and what the money is being spent on, while very valid questions, are different questions.

Concise enough ;)

I never asked for short replies, I just to discuss the question I asked.

I believe the code to be unfair. If 75% of Americans agree with me we have a point at which to start. If 75% disagree we also have a starting point - when asking if the rich and the middle classes pay fair shares of the tax burden and the answers sound like a presidential press conference on a day with a -400 Dow, it's frustrating.

You assume that WE need government to be who and what we are.

Another failure on your part.

/THREAD.

I am NOT envious of the wealthy! Nor do I want to see the rewards of hard work in the marketplace diminished! Where the hell do you see that in my posts? Do you want a link? http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/146106-shrink-the-rich-not-government-14.html#post3093122

I simply see an unfair tax code as a drag on the whole economy and now as a good a time as any to start discussing an overhaul of the tax code.

/THREAD.

I am NOT envious of the wealthy! Nor do I want to see the rewards of hard work in the marketplace diminished! Where the hell do you see that in my posts? Do you want a link? http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/146106-shrink-the-rich-not-government-14.html#post3093122

I simply see an unfair tax code as a drag on the whole economy and now as a good a time as any to start discussing an overhaul of the tax code.

FAIR or FLAT Tax...All of this comes to an end. Government will be forced to live within it's means. The tax code ceases to be a weapon of wealth envy perpetrated by overzealous elitist government types.

/Story.

Concise enough ;)

Tell me how you would live the life you have come to cherish without government.

Tell me how you would live the life you have come to cherish without government.

One word. Liberty.

Simple...No?

One word. Liberty.

Simple...No?

Liberty. Freedom.

Nice words. What do they mean?

Free to marry whomever you want?

Free to smoke whatever you want?

Free to take whatever you want, ass-u-me-ing the dude you're trying to take it from doesn't kick your ass and take your stuff?

Without government protecting the rights of those who are too weak to protect themselves we have anarchy. Sound fun?

We all agree the tax code is garbage filled with special interest hooey.

However, on the issue of what should be taxed and how, fair is very much in the eye of the beholder.

And sometimes fair is a bad idea. If you use the definitions of fair offered by the likes of Shintaro.

And some elements of fair are just not reachable. The US government can't tax muni bonds. So a person whose income is in muni bonds lives tax free. Supreme court says so, so suck it in.

Some elements of the tax code, while fair, are destructive and more bother than they are worth. Not just to the taxing authority, but to the citizen as well. The game of Capital Gains taxation is just not worth the candle no matter how you work it. The money raised is small potatoes, the damage caused to the economy is huge.

Should we allow depreciation? Depletion? What is the revenue of a small business? Defining that is hard. Should we continue milage on cars that run on petroleum? It amounts to a refund of the gas tax for business.

Saying this is the way it should be, but the devil is in the details, and they can be really hard. And the lobbyists live for the devil in the details.

Is it that the poor are not paying their share, or that the rich should be paying what the poor do? Maybe we have this all wrong here. Everyone should pay exactly what the poor can afford to pay. That will lower everybodies taxes, and shut down services and programs in America. When the rich whine for their treats, Congress can say they are sorry, but the poor cannot afford them. So if you want your treats you better raise the standard of living for the poor first, so they can be taxed more.

Last edited:

No.. it is not 'fair'... but more importantly, it is not equal % burden... the tax code should not be complex, nor filled with numerous loopholes (or whatever you wish to call them)... it should not punish nor coddle... it should be blind, just as justice is supposed to be blind... every person... exact same rate... on every dollar earned... no questions... no exceptions

/THREAD.

You talk about envy like it is a bad word, it isn't. Envy gives people motivation to improve their situation in life, it gives them drive to produce more and become self sufficient.

You got a fucked view on life.

We all agree the tax code is garbage filled with special interest hooey.

However, on the issue of what should be taxed and how, fair is very much in the eye of the beholder.

And sometimes fair is a bad idea. If you use the definitions of fair offered by the likes of Shintaro.

And some elements of fair are just not reachable. The US government can't tax muni bonds. So a person whose income is in muni bonds lives tax free. Supreme court says so, so suck it in.

Some elements of the tax code, while fair, are destructive and more bother than they are worth. Not just to the taxing authority, but to the citizen as well. The game of Capital Gains taxation is just not worth the candle no matter how you work it. The money raised is small potatoes, the damage caused to the economy is huge.

Should we allow depreciation? Depletion? What is the revenue of a small business? Defining that is hard. Should we continue milage on cars that run on petroleum? It amounts to a refund of the gas tax for business.

Saying this is the way it should be, but the devil is in the details, and they can be really hard. And the lobbyists live for the devil in the details.

Hows about a general sales tax of 7% and a "Winners Tax" of 7% on personal income that exceeds $3 million per year? (I mean the income in excess of $3 million, not all the income of those making at least $3 million)

Do away with corporate taxes, except for the 7% business would pay on purchases.

:eusa_think: Imagine how much we'd save by shrinking the IRS to what would be required to administer that simple of a code.

Last edited:
Tax code is completely unfair. Every individual should be paying the same tax rate.

And in my Personal opinion tax rate should never get above 10%. And dont give me any crap about deficits. Because unless we are at war, spending should easily be within the amount of revenues we collect.

We shouldn't be borrowing money. Heck, if anything, our government should be collecting interest, not paying it.

Tax code is completely unfair. Every individual should be paying the same tax rate.

And in my Personal opinion tax rate should never get above 10%. And dont give me any crap about deficits. Because unless we are at war, spending should easily be within the amount of revenues we collect.

We shouldn't be borrowing money. Heck, if anything, our government should be collecting interest, not paying it.

I've often wondered why We, The People don't hire a couple of those snarky bankers to invest the payroll taxes collected for Social Security and Medicare instead of simply buying T-bills earning next to nothing.

We could make sure we hire several and make them compete with each other for returns-based compensation within a well defined, conservative arena of investments like American Blue Chip Companies. Why shouldn't We, The People invest our retirement nest egg in our whole economy, not just our government?

:eusa_think: Do you reckon we look stupid from space? How about from history?

NOR should they have bankers in foreign countries buying our DEBT that can at a moment's notice demand payment.

/THREAD.

You talk about envy like it is a bad word, it isn't. Envy gives people motivation to improve their situation in life, it gives them drive to produce more and become self sufficient.

You got a fucked view on life.

Actually? It is. In the context presented shithead.

Wealth envy derives from jealousy of lazy people that should be doing for themsleves...but use the power of whining to the imperial FED to do what they refuse to do.

And no my outlook on life as a hard worker is fairly common...and not a fucking Union shill as you that relies on thuggey of Unions to get where they are going.

You may STFU any time now boy.

Forum List

Back