On her final day in DC—in her final act—Chief Judge Beryl Howell took unprecedented+illegal step of giving Trump’s lawyer notes to federal prosecutors

I do believe that if an attorney learns of an impending criminal act by his client he is duty-bound to report it but that is not what we are dealing with in this situation.

How do you know what they are dealing with and how do you know it?

Someone needs to be held accountable for the leak. Don't know what a judge can do with it, legally.

I imagine it's not going to turn out well for the attorney if he inadvertently gave it to the judge but dang if things don't seem to turn poorly for attorneys that represent Trump quite often.

We live in a banana republic. this is weaponization of the courts against your political enemies

Her action is disgraceful. While I grant that a judge can pierce the veil of attorney client communication if the accused and the lawyer are engaged in a crime, the proper procedure (as the article you linked notes) is to order disclosure of the challenges communications. And that would allow a legal challenge.

Her peremptory action makes any such action futile. To highlight this, let’s imagine that she miscomprehended what the notes say. If a higher court were to therefore reverse her determination, it’s too late to make a difference, now.

Reads to me like she was provided proof of a planned criminal act and as a member of the justice system turned that evidence over to a prosecutor.

Yep, attorney-client privilege does not apply when lawyers are co-conspiring to commit a crime or if their notes are bona fide evidence of crimes.

I expect a constitutional challenge, but there's nothing inherently illegal about this on the surface of it. Will depend on what the notes actually say and what value they have.

Yep, attorney-client privilege does not apply when lawyers are co-conspiring to commit a crime or if their notes are bona fide evidence of crimes.

I expect a constitutional challenge, but there's nothing inherently illegal about this on the surface of it. Will depend on what the notes actually say and what value they have.

Yes, none of us know what they said. All in the details.

Forum List

Back